Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting on a trap line

Re: Hunting on a trap line

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Most trappers set their baits up just off the roads, so you will likely encounter more the further up the rd you go. They can not trap cougar so I wouldn't be worried about setting up your calling near one of his bait stations.

Dana correct I have witnessed the trapper setting up leg hold traps 20 feet from the main FSR the wolfs like running the roads ,,trappers when setting near a road should put a sign out saying caution leg hold trap near this sign but then again it would be advertising his or her trap....
    Last edited by hunter1947; 12-30-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Wolves do like running roads. The one place I do not set, ever, is at turn arounds on the end of a road or a pullout. People hit the end of a road stop to relive themselves and throw out the dog for run.....Dog dosn't come back and it is all the trappers fault????? It's trapping season mind and control your dog. I am really gun shy about posting every set. A few years back my line was hit by thieves stealing 7 out of 13 stations all of the traps and snares cleaned out.

Pet you are a conciderent trapper good on you..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Wolves do like running roads. The one place I do not set, ever, is at turn arounds on the end of a road or a pullout. People hit the end of a road stop to relive themselves and throw out the dog for run.....Dog dosn't come back and it is all the trappers fault????? It's trapping season mind and control your dog. I am really gun shy about posting every set. A few years back my line was hit by thieves stealing 7 out of 13 stations all of the traps and snares cleaned out.
    Don't get me wrong as I am a trapper as well (on paper lol) and albeit it may be trapping season, it is also hound season year round where there are coons and all winter for cats. I spend more time in the bush running dogs than I do hunting, hiking and (would be) trapping all together.
    There's no place for ignorance in any sport/hobby and I would rather lose a bunch of gear than see my buddys hound his kids crawl all over hung up dead in a snare, when preventable.
    A simple sign at the beginning of an FSR stating your trapline number, active K-9 trapping in progress and current dates is sufficient (I've seen this in a couple places) and considerate to all. I understand the shyness of posting activity but I also understand many guys are proud to trap and are less than quiet about it to encourage recruitment and in general announce that trapping still is a way of life and an all around great activity.
    In all fairness if I was running an area that had an active trapline I would likely leave a note with my contact number stating my activity at this sign to hopefully be contacted by the trapper to learn more about specific areas being targeted. If anything its one more set of eyes on your gear with a bit of piece of mind for me. You never know when either one of you are going to need a lift out 20km back in mid february, it would be good to be on good terms lol
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Don't get me wrong as I am a trapper as well (on paper lol) and albeit it may be trapping season, it is also hound season year round where there are coons and all winter for cats. I spend more time in the bush running dogs than I do hunting, hiking and (would be) trapping all together.
    There's no place for ignorance in any sport/hobby and I would rather lose a bunch of gear than see my buddys hound his kids crawl all over hung up dead in a snare, when preventable.
    A simple sign at the beginning of an FSR stating your trapline number, active K-9 trapping in progress and current dates is sufficient (I've seen this in a couple places) and considerate to all. I understand the shyness of posting activity but I also understand many guys are proud to trap and are less than quiet about it to encourage recruitment and in general announce that trapping still is a way of life and an all around great activity.
    In all fairness if I was running an area that had an active trapline I would likely leave a note with my contact number stating my activity at this sign to hopefully be contacted by the trapper to learn more about specific areas being targeted. If anything its one more set of eyes on your gear with a bit of piece of mind for me. You never know when either one of you are going to need a lift out 20km back in mid february, it would be good to be on good terms lol
    You make some very good points and thank you for your consideration, it is much appreciated.