Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting on a trap line

Hunting on a trap line

So while out predator hunting today I was following a set of cougar tracks looking for a place to set up and call. I came across a chunk of hide tied up in a little hollow. ..looked to be a trapper set up.Only the cat walked right under it There was a marker tied to the tree and I noticed a metal plate pressed onto the tree also. I didn't want to step on anything so I didn't get to read the data on it.
    Question.... am I allowed to predator hunt a known trap line ??? Im pretty sure I can but damm I would hate break the law.... but I sure would like to hunt that area now.
    You just gotta be smarter than the tool your working with

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting on a trap line

of course you can. its public land
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    of course you can. its public land
    X2 Clarke is correct..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

You can Hunt ,but not trap

You most certainly can.....However in my area I am set for wolves and coyotes. Your dogs running through a wolf/coyote station stand a good chance of not returning. I am more than happy to let people know the areas where I am set up. I do not want to hurt your dogs.

Question answered..... How about another question?

Does that technique work for cat hunting? Have you killed one that way?

No I haven't had any success doing this Yet!!! I don't have dogs to run so its just me my foxpro a 12g and my 243. I came across this by chance and now I'm thinking it would be a good place to set up more. How often does a trapper have to check his set's ?

Quote Originally Posted by #1fishslayer View Post
    No I haven't had any success doing this Yet!!! I don't have dogs to run so its just me my foxpro a 12g and my 243. I came across this by chance and now I'm thinking it would be a good place to set up more. How often does a trapper have to check his set's ?
    Out of respect I would advise not hunting over a trappers set in my opinion it would be no different then hunting right beside a hunter you do not know.

As for check times it depends on the trapper and temps. Myself I like to run a 5-7 day check when trapping

In my opinion you are better off focusing on really fresh sign with you're calling

Im not talking about sitting on his bait calling. This was a the beginning of a snowed in road.....and im going in.