Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professional versatile gun dog trainers near the lower mainland?

Professional versatile gun dog trainers near the lower mainland?

Can anyone recommend one? I have heard there are some. But don't really know where to start looking. What should I look for in a trainer?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Professional versatile gun dog trainers near the lower mainland?

I knew of one in Maple Ridge named Al McKean, mostly field trial dogs if I recall but he's getting on so not sure if he's still doing it ?
    Ill see if I can dig his number up.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 12-26-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Jim at Foxtons - you want a gun dog - get him to train your gundog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

What kind of dog do you have and what will its primary use be?
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

I have a Pudelpointer. Its primary use will be waterfowl. Followed by blood tracking. Upland would also be a plus if I got more into it with a dog who was capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    I have a Pudelpointer. Its primary use will be waterfowl. Followed by blood tracking. Upland would also be a plus if I got more into it with a dog who was capable.
    You could try contacting Buck on this forum. Dan has a Deutsch Drahthaar that he has trained and tested at both of the breed tests. He's also an avid waterfowler.
    Good Luck!

VDD Group Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Jim at Foxtons - you want a gun dog - get him to train your gundog.
    Thanks for the kind words Mike but to be honest I am not a pointing dog man but there are enough people with versitiles on here someone will be able to help you.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

When I bought my dog I researched all the versatile breeds. You have made a good choice and he should serve you well. His instincts will take care of the hunting aspect , you just have to tailor them to you. obedience, recall, the gun breaking are your first and only major obstacles. He should have no problem with those as he is breed for it. Id recommend force fetching once that is all understood. After that you could ask him to pick anything up.

Always present yourself in a calm cool manner and you will have a patient dog while hunting ducks and a calm and cool demeanor while hiking through the bush looking for upland, rabbits, or big game. Pointers are not typical flushers and don't often randomly bound through the bush. They will normally hold point until they are asked to flush and this will be natural for them

There is no substitute for getting out into the field (Any field or park will do ). Watch and study him, his movements and ask him to do things every once and awhile. Point to an area and ask him to work it then move on. I always carried a gun stock around and used it for pointing out different things. Once he sees the gun or gun stock in your hands we will know its time to work. Throw a dummy into the air while he is not looking and make a bang noise and have him retrieve it.

There are lots of ways to enhance his pointing but he will most likely develop those naturally. Can do the fishing rod trick with a few feathers or bird wing on the end of a 15` piece of line. Wiggle and cast that around the back yard or park. But really you dont have to do that much. Once he starts pointing it try and give him a push on the bum. He will most likely not move and hold point.

Tracking I figure is one of the easier things to teach. Dragging a small carcass or fur through the bush and have him find it. Start with small distances and progress.

Should you take your dog to a trainer, try and gets as much hands on as you can. Im not sure how it works but you will have to get trained also to how the trainers work the dogs and using his commands.

Should you end up going the DIY route all that will fall into place. Your commands , Your hunting style, Your connection to your dogs soul. Im not saying you wont achieve this with a trainer but it will not be the same.

Envision what you want out of your dog and how you want him to end up and follow through with that . Like the secret.

Having read your posts I believe you have the resources to have a wonderful dog and hunting partner and a Versa Dog is just that. He can substitute for any human in the bush. With enhanced hearing and smell im sure you will end up doing a lot more solo hunts with your dog for many years.

Lots of guys to help you here online or in person, youtube, books.

Sorry for not answering your original question , I dont know any trainers personnally and couldnt afford one if i did lol But I do know its a very small percentage of dogs that do things perfectly to the "book". Trained professionally or not. Training a Versa takes a year or more of experince in the field together meshing with each other. Not just a few months with a pro. Good luck and congrats

Just trying to throw some encouragement your way.

Now post some dang pics of your mutts please.

Well said Yamadirt...slowly working my Lab into the fold, I think Big Boar will get it right as you have said.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Can anyone recommend one? I have heard there are some. But don't really know where to start looking. What should I look for in a trainer?
    I know its an old post but any chance you found one? I have got a GSP pup I am trying to get ready for next season. It's my first hunting dog so would like to get some help getting him a solid foundation in pointing and retrieving.