Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MEC Ibex 80

MEC Ibex 80

Looking to start getting ready for multi day sheep hunts, and 7-10 day trips exploring. Just wondering if anyone has used the MEC Ibex 80, and has any reviews on it for these types of ventures. Is it big enough for these sorts of hikes/trips. Can it haul a deboned deer or sheep out of the back country?

Any information is helpful, i'm on a budget and have heard good things in the hiking community about this bag but does it stand up to hunting conditions. I'm on a budget so the MR and other bags are out of question.

Thanks,
    Moe
    Last edited by Moe.JKU; 12-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: MEC Ibex 80

80L is on the small side. I used the Ibex, and for the typical internal frame pack it is really well thought out. But I'd go with 95L at least.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

My wife carried the 80l Ibex on our sheep hunt...great bag and worked well for her. No complaints over the 13 days.

Andrew

I find the MEC backpacks too small - in my opinion MEC does not have anything for expeditions size and I always have to shop in the US. I am 5'5 and always carry at least 100L pack for expeditions.

i would look for a Arcteryx Bora 80 or 95 if you can find them . i have the 80 and its the best pack you will even use.. the waist belt and shoulder straps are the most comftable ones you will find.. look a the the MEC outdoor gear swap . you will get a good deal and there way better than the Ibex .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

MEC supports anti hunting groups. Do a search here. Don't spend a dime on their gear.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    MEC supports anti hunting groups. Do a search here. Don't spend a dime on their gear.
    A couple years ago I sent an email to MEC asking about their position on hunting – this is the reply I received.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. MEC's position on hunting is fairly simple - officially, we are completely neutral on the subject. While hunting isn't a recreation that we specifically cater to (so you won't find things like camouflage gear in our stores) we don't have any official stance against it. MEC's mandate, as far as sustainability and environmental issues are concerned, is the protection of wild spaces, so that future generations can continue to enjoy them. You can find more information about MEC's mandate on the Sustainability section of our website.

At one point, a few years back, MEC briefly gained a reputation as being anti-hunting. This was due to a single incident where we allowed an anti-hunting lobby group to hand out leaflets in front of one of our stores. We had no actual connection to this group though, and it is not an issue that we feel we need, or want to get involved with - on either side. Considering the confusion this caused, both in the media and with our members, it is unlikely we would do this again.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you - as always, please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions, regarding this policy or anything else.

MEC Service Centre
    ext. 423
    Mountain Equipment Co-op
    130 W. Broadway
    Vancouver BC V5Y 1P3
    The World is run by those that show up.

I have the Arc’teryx Bora 80 – I do wish I bought the 95 though, just for more space. 80 litres can work for a 2 week trip if all the rest of your gear is small – small stove, small fuel canister(s), small sleeping bag, small sleeping pad etc. etc. Removing your mountain house meals from the original bag and vacuum sealing each meal with a FoodSaver can also save you lots of space – the air inside MH bags takes up a lot of backpack space – bring a few of the original MH bags along for cooking and burn the vacuum seal bags after each meal, so you don’t have to pack them around. Buying a bigger bag would work too.
    The World is run by those that show up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    Get your facts right before yappin-the entire thing started because "he said she said"

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Get your facts right before yappin-the entire thing started because "he said she said"
    Really? Perhaps you should learn to do some research. This is not a "he said she said". Pacificwild.org, a group that wants to stop grizzly hunting got money from MEC. So you should get your facts right before yappin. I refuse to do business with any group that is trying to stop hunting or any group that supports them. That includes MEC. We are loosing the battle for a number of reasons. One is that a lot of hunters are to stupid to recognize the enemy that is right in front of them. They continue to do business with them and thus aid the enemy. Which one are you. The stupid one?
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009