Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Re: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post

Everything is not this complicated.
    On HBC sometimes it is
    I cant believe some are still questioning this ... whats next ? the friend that reloads for the shooter has "helped" with the hunt ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

I completely agree with you.
    "Come a little closer! said the angler to the fish..."

Here's what I got from our CO in Quesnel.

Question:Is it legal for a person that does not have a hunting license to help someone that does, glass cut blocks and help spot animals?

Answer: Sorry, it is not as cut and dry as would make it simple.

The definition of hunt is : “includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
    (a) With intention to capture the wildlife, or
    (b) While in possession of a firearm or other weapon”

Under the strict definition of hunt a person who is accompanying a hunter to help them spot animals could be considered to be hunting. . In my opinion this is a bit of a grey area in the regulations and officer discretion would have to be applied based on the exact circumstances. Your scenario could be expanded to include someone who has a moose LEH and is accompanied by someone who has a license, but no LEH, and is out to tag a deer. It could be argued that the second person is hunting without an LEH (helping spot a moose), but is that reasonable? I have conducted many checks where there were multiple people in a vehicle and only one licensed hunter, I have never taken issue with this because the circumstances never made me feel it was in the interest of the public for me to do so. All that being said, if the group are in any way attempting to make unfair advantage for themselves or are negatively impacting a resource an investigation could occur.

TPK,
    That is how I saw it. Letter of the law maybe illegal.... 12 guys chasing deer to a liscensed killer bad...... a guy out for a drive with 3 of his buddies maybe doing some fishing and a guy brings his gun... thats ok....

All the circumstances that get brought up here over the "Grey" of the law... These are all the things the CO will deal with case to case.. That is what people never seem to get, the law in many cases is specifically grey and not black and white all the time...

I have never taken issue with this because the circumstances never made me feel it was in the interest of the public for me to do so. All that being said, if the group are in any way attempting to make unfair advantage for themselves or are negatively impacting a resource an investigation could occur.
    That answer is about what I would expect- Unless someone was doing something unscrupulous, there is no need to be concerned about a non hunting tag along.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    That answer is about what I would expect- Unless someone was doing something unscrupulous, there is no need to be concerned about a non hunting tag along.
    So indeed I was wrong, I was thinking it was very clear and not allowed .. Seems not so clear and for the most part OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    The more I think abotu this "enhanced" thing, the more ramifications I dream up.

Examples:

I am tagged out on mule deer but I go with my buddy who still has a tag. I decide I will hunt with him and if an opportunity to shoot a wolf/yote/black bear comes up, I will take it, and if he gets a deer, I will assist him packing it out. I spot a 4 pt but must remain silent as to not enhance his hunt (I cannot hunt for mule deer with no tag of course) I sit silent for 10 minutes. Luckily, he spots the deer just before it slips away and shoots it. The deer runs off and dies. I cannot help track the deer because that would enhance his hunt.

The same buddy draws a grizzly LEH. I go with him with a black bear tag. We spot a grizzly so I get out my spotting scope and confirm it's a male and no cubs. Busted!

And of course the one I already mentioned. Kittle kid sees a buck "Daddy, a 4 pt!" Write that kid a ticket, pronto!

Then fill your boots and carry on as you always have. Your scenario of being with your buddy is exactly what put me into my "negotiation" with the CO service which helped understand a lot more about how they interpret the law. And I wasnt carrying a weapon or binoculars Only a camera. What i said above was not conjecture It happened

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Then fill your boots and carry on as you always have. Your scenario of being with your buddy is exactly what put me into my "negotiation" with the CO service which helped understand a lot more about how they interpret the law. And I wasnt carrying a weapon or binoculars Only a camera. What i said above was not conjecture It happened
    I definitely will carry on as I always have, especially after what TPK posted. If your experience had resulted in a ticket and a court date due to "enhancing" it would have been interesting though.

I guess someone that was really interested could email Stephen McIvor. He's the guy that seems to put all the speculation to rest with these legal questions.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I know Steve quite well. Regs are one thing, but dealing in the moment with a CO is just somewhere we dont want to be. For me, a negative altercation isnt always about being heard in court. There's a lot of negative BS that enters into your live that takes time to resolve before you can finally get closure and put it behind you.

If you know him, it would be nice to get his written interpretation. My guess it would be similar to what TPK got. It would be very valuable in a situation like what you had.

None of us want a ticket or go to court, but I won't stop taking adults and youth interested in hunting out because some CO has a funny idea.