Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Re: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

There's no way bringing an unlicensed companion on a hunt can be a problem, unless you buy him dinner on the way home and he's now an unlicensed guide
    Taking devil's advocacy just a little too far?

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    personally, I'd have no problem with it.
    thinking back, I've done this.
    I took a friend along on a hunt.
    he had never experienced hunting, he's an outdoor nut, insane with fishing.
    so he came along, excited as all hell.
    as I was driving in to the cut where I planned to hike, I spotted a deer just as we were getting to the end of the road.
    it was way, way off to our left, just hugging the edges of the trees.
    I parked and we got out.
    I glassed him and confirmed he was a 4 point.
    he was small though, and it was very early in the season, so on most circumstances, I would have let him walk.
    but he was mega-excited and really, that's why I brought him, so he could experience a hunt.
    so I made the decision to take the deer, I grabbed my rifle and took a seat in the cut behind a big stump.
    it was a 400 yard shot and I was going to need a solid rest and some time to get settled.
    while I was preparing for the shot, he watched through the binos, to see it all up-close.
    the shot rang out and the deer collapsed in it's tracks.
    and it all unfolded right before his eyes, zoomed in with the binos.
    he said it was the coolest thing he had ever seen.
    but I guess technically, some would say that was breaking the law.
    Awsome. Some would say lawbreaker but their wrong! This is a great thing to do as it encourages people to start hunting. Co's want to increase hunter numbers as well and this is a great way to do it, the ones I've talked to are very supportive of exposing people to hunting this way.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    ... particularly when there is every effort being made to increase hunter recruitment - including a proposed new category of license for people wanting to try hunting.
    And why would a new category of licence even be considered necessary, if it was perfectly legal for people to assist on a hunt with no licence?

Quote Originally Posted by TPK View Post
    The regs are VERY clear on this point. NO he can not "help" during the hunt, that includes glassing the cut blocks and helping identify animals. Makes NO difference if he has a firearm or not, if he's "helping" and does not have a license he's breaking the law. Once the hunt is ended, animal on the ground, yes he can help with game retrieval and processing/gutting.
    I could not find where this is in the hunting regs.
    Would you please post it here for me. Thanks.

Then I will self-report myself to the RAPP Line as I have had non hunters accompany me on hunts.
    All this time I thought I was being nice and exposing non hunters to a activity I enjoy and allowing them to be "in the bush" instead of sitting in front of the TV. Bad me...bad, bad, bad.

This post is just me being facetious.

fa·ce·tious
    fəˈsēSHəs/
    adjective
    adjective: facetious
    treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
    synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; Morewitty, amusing, funny, droll, comic, comical, lighthearted, jocose
    "unfortunately, they took my facetious remarks seriously"

antonyms: serious
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Seems like you would be fine. I have been out hunting with people before I had my core. One time we were stopped by a CO and we had two guns, one long range rifle and one shotgun and he said we were ok I just couldn't be using either of them. Just to muddy the waters a bit here... But what about schedule C critters which you do not need a licence to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    Seems like you would be fine. I have been out hunting with people before I had my core. One time we were stopped by a CO and we had two guns, one long range rifle and one shotgun and he said we were ok I just couldn't be using either of them. Just to muddy the waters a bit here... But what about schedule C critters which you do not need a licence to hunt?
    Good point. You should still need a PAL.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Can you quote where that is in the regs? Seems completely ridiculous IMO - particularly when there is every effort being made to increase hunter recruitment - including a proposed new category of license for people wanting to try hunting.
    what?? why would they bother making a new class of licence the CORE is such an easy test and you can easily pass with challenging it i have a couple friends with very minimal outdoor expiriance and they never read the book and they passed and they really arent the brightest either haha and it only take like a week to come in i dont see the point in a special trial licence

For those of you who think this no big deal, let's look at it from another angle.

Let's say a licenced hunter brings 12 unlicensed friends out to the bush to "share" the experience. They divide up into groups and use radios to keep in contact. The groups of unlicenced people go in search of game, reporting what they see to the guy with the tag(s). The end result is a dead animal.

Does this activity increase the licenced hunter's chances of success in harvesting an animal? Does this seem "right"?

What intentions do these unlicenced people have? Certainly not to shoot the animal themselves, but certainly they intend for their actions to result in a dead game animal. No?

While they are "searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:" ... what is their intention? To just look at the animal? No. Their intention is to report this information to the licensed individual so he can attempt to kill the animal. Indirectly, they intend for that animal to be captured or killed, despite not having the means to do so. That's why it is stated in the regs as:

(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
    (b) while in possession of a firearm or other
    weapon

Granted, this is an extreme example. However, the same conclusions should be reached if it is just a licenced guy and his best bud out for a drive or hike. The same intentions are there.

Quote Originally Posted by ru rancher View Post
    what?? why would they bother making a new class of licence the CORE is such an easy test and you can easily pass with challenging it i have a couple friends with very minimal outdoor expiriance and they never read the book and they passed and they really arent the brightest either haha and it only take like a week to come in i dont see the point in a special trial licence
    Join a fish and game club, become a member of the BCWF, educate yourself on the process of how these proposals come to fruition. You can contribute a lot more through the proper channels. By doing this you can have a voice in the regulations process. You're a smart guy and you're passionate. Whether I agree or disagree with your position, we need young guys like you stepping up..
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    For those of you who think this no big deal, let's look at it from another angle.

Let's say a licenced hunter brings 12 unlicensed friends out to the bush to "share" the experience. They divide up into groups and use radios to keep in contact. The groups of unlicenced people go in search of game, reporting what they see to the guy with the tag(s). The end result is a dead animal.

Does this activity increase the licenced hunter's chances of success in harvesting an animal? Does this seem "right"?

What intentions do these unlicenced people have? Certainly not to shoot the animal themselves, but certainly they intend for their actions to result in a dead game animal. No?

While they are "searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:" ... what is their intention? To just look at the animal? No. Their intention is to report this information to the licensed individual so he can attempt to kill the animal. Indirectly, they intend for that animal to be captured or killed, despite not having the means to do so. That's why it is stated in the regs as:

(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
    (b) while in possession of a firearm or other
    weapon

Granted, this is an extreme example. However, the same conclusions should be reached if it is just a licenced guy and his best bud out for a drive or hike. The same intentions are there.
    i would go with no they are not in intent to capture or kill if you used your example you could charge people that go out and take pictures of wild animals and show the picture to any hunter not to tell them where the animals are but just to show off there photo graphs so your saying this person is also breaking the law because they indirectly helped the licenced tag hold to where potential game is?