Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Hybrid View

Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

Can someone clarify the law around bringing a non licenced observer on a trip into the woods? In my case, my father has expressed interest in joining this weekend as I try fill my deer tag (as unlikely as that is going to be given the weather). He is an acomplished outdoorsman but never a hunter. As I understand it, he can come with me as long as he doesn't actively participate in the kill, he cannot carry a firearm (he's not liceneced for that either) but he can help me transport and field dress etc...

Is that correct? Any advice in case we run into a CO?

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bringing an adult non hunter observer on a hunt?

As long as he's not hunting you are good to go. This has been asked before and I believe the general consensus was he can drive the truck, glass the slash, even help you carry your game out but he cannot do the deed. If you hang a camera around his neck and he says he's taking pictures to document the hunt you'll be just fine.

This is as I see it, not legalese.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Philcott View Post
    As long as he's not hunting you are good to go. This has been asked before and I believe the general consensus was he can drive the truck, glass the slash, even help you carry your game out but he cannot do the deed. If you hang a camera around his neck and he says he's taking pictures to document the hunt you'll be just fine.

This is as I see it, not legalese.
    As per the definition of hunting in the regs "glassing the slash" is considered hunting. Not so sure how sticky the COs are on this though.

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    As per the definition of hunting in the regs "glassing the slash" is considered hunting. Not so sure how sticky the COs are on this though.
    This is only true if he was carrying a weapon. If there is only one gun in the truck then you guys will be fine.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    You have to be doing it with the intent to capture or kill. If you aren't pulling the trigger you can look at all the animals you want

I completely agree with you.
    "Come a little closer! said the angler to the fish..."

Look up the definition of "hunting" in the regs.

If he is going to refrain from any of the activities listed, then he will not be "hunting" and therefore cannot be charged.

Thanks guys...and\or gals.

You will be fine.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

They would have a difficult time making those charges stick, especially if he had no hunting weapons on him. A dude out for a hike is allowed to direct his binos where he wants, unless he happens to be hiking by a sorority house during their lingerie, pillow, tickle fight night.