Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657

Thread: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Re: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Quote Originally Posted by 6616 View Post
    I think the biologists in Cranbrook were also suspicious of the data set for MU 4-03, especially in light of the high fawn ratio. Also to actually think it was the any buck season that was entirely responsible is probably wrong as well since 4-03 is the heaviest hunted MU in all of region 4 and is flooded by cow elk hunters for a good portion of the hunting season, and probably had a lower than average buck ratio long before the any buck season started. Surprizing how many people believe a population crash could be driven by a bucks only harvest.
    Part of the big picture is we do need a BC based model for mule deer inventory. One of the areas we hunt they didn't even find a deer. I can go out in Nov and see 50 a day no problem. Buddies were in there this year again and still seeing lots of mule deer and lots of bucks.

The ratios, particularly in treed areas, are definitely low. Having said that I still support observed ratios to trigger management changes, at least until we come up with a proper model. Would hate to talk out of both sides of my mouth.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Goat guy, letters should highlight habitat enhancement and predator control? Anything else?

I don't mind starting a petition for proper predator control but there might be someone better suited to do so then I am, any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    Goat guy, letters should highlight habitat enhancement and predator control? Anything else?

I don't mind starting a petition for proper predator control but there might be someone better suited to do so then I am, any takers?
    Great initiative.

Funding, habitat enhancement, and predator management where required.

Without money, we can't do much of anything.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by 6616 View Post
    I think the biologists in Cranbrook were also suspicious of the data set for MU 4-03, especially in light of the high fawn ratio. Also to actually think it was the any buck season that was entirely responsible is probably wrong as well since 4-03 is the heaviest hunted MU in all of region 4 and is flooded by cow elk hunters for a good portion of the hunting season, and probably had a lower than average buck ratio long before the any buck season started. Surprizing how many people believe a population crash could be driven by a bucks only harvest.
    At least with the closing of the elk x-zone, pressure on the muley bucks will most likely be reduced.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    At least with the closing of the elk x-zone, pressure on the muley bucks will most likely be reduced.

SSS
    The antlerless elk GOS was closed and that will ease the pressure in 4-03 somewhat but the x-zone still exists and there will continue to be a fair number of antlerless elk LEHs handed out for 4-03.