Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Re: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

but that is my opinion and that is why they set it at 20 to 100 because of peoples opionions not what actually will last the heard
    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    ponder this: "the world is run by those who show up".

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    I will stand behind every post I have made. what others think of me is none of my business!

Haven't read the last 6 pages out of 13, as per my settings, so if it's already mentioned I apologize.....

....But, concerning LEH on Mule deer bucks as a tool to increase populations, I'm dead against it, unless it means that non-resident hunts are nuked altogether. If pops can't handle resident pressure, they sure as he!l can't handle guided pressure......

As an aside, trapping and NBL's on wolves is not gonna do what's needed to wolf numbers, and even if it did, if the habitat isn't there once the wolves are back in check it's a moot point anyway......

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Haven't read the last 6 pages out of 13, as per my settings, so if it's already mentioned I apologize.....

....But, concerning LEH on Mule deer bucks as a tool to increase populations, I'm dead against it, unless it means that non-resident hunts are nuked altogether. If pops can't handle resident pressure, they sure as he!l can't handle guided pressure......

As an aside, trapping and NBL's on wolves is not gonna do what's needed to wolf numbers, and even if it did, if the habitat isn't there once the wolves are back in check it's a moot point anyway......
    i like the way you think the residence should deffinatly have the priority to the game over the guides and idk if you put in some real effort you can nock back the wolves substantually you just got to keep at it i was talking to my local taxidermist last spring and he was telling me of the number of wolves that have bin brought in and mentioned that there was a pack in the chilcotin that was 32 members strong and the local trappers brought those numbers down to 8 over the winter he also said that they have really switched there focus alot towards wolves because they see what it has done to the game so with the right people out there the number of wolves can be nocked down by alot

I will stand behind every post I have made. what others think of me is none of my business!

Quote Originally Posted by ru rancher View Post
    i like the way you think the residence should deffinatly have the priority to the game over the guides and idk if you put in some real effort you can nock back the wolves substantually you just got to keep at it i was talking to my local taxidermist last spring and he was telling me of the number of wolves that have bin brought in and mentioned that there was a pack in the chilcotin that was 32 members strong and the local trappers brought those numbers down to 8 over the winter he also said that they have really switched there focus alot towards wolves because they see what it has done to the game so with the right people out there the number of wolves can be nocked down by alot

I do agree trapping can make a dent in wolves but the 2 problems are there is a lot less active traplines than the MOE's records show. Also trapping wolves involves a good amount of time, $ and skill with very little return.

A lot of the trappers who do run lines target wolves but invest most of their effort into other species do to a better profit margin.

With the lack of enforcement with trapline abuse and lack of effort by the govt to make inactive lines available there is a good number of guys licensed to trap who cannot find a line.

ya its true alot of people do the minimum to keep there lines but you can trap private property and snairs are fairly cheap foot holds are real expensive but the skill is a big thing it takes alot of practice but if you find a rancher with alot of land and wolf problems pretty good chance he will let you try and trap them of course you need to take the course its an easy course but hard to find one that is offered but true trapping wont make you rich

There are two ways to manage wolves:
    poison
    aerial shooting

recreational trapping and hunting alone will not do it.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

ya my grandpa always tells me of something like in the 50s they poisoned all the lakes in the cariboo and after that you hardly saw a track for like 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    There are two ways to manage wolves:
    poison
    aerial shooting

recreational trapping and hunting alone will not do it.
    And therein lies the biggest hurdle IMO, as the sheeple with never allow poison, and even Aerial Gunning is a big stretch in this day and age.

Personally, I feel our best "realistic" chance for the time being is to focus on habitat enhancement through either controlled burns or allowing natural burns to run their course. Really don't see the latter happening though.

Classic "Rock and a Hard Place" scenario, with the clueless at the helm and the people in the "KNOW" stranded on the shore.......

Quote Originally Posted by ru rancher View Post
    ya my grandpa always tells me of something like in the 50s they poisoned all the lakes in the cariboo and after that you hardly saw a track for like 20 years
    If you haven't already, pick up a copy of "Crazy Mans Creek", by Jack Boudreau. Pretty good read if you like trapping and are interested in the old timers views from interactions with wolves and wilderness. "Grizzly Bear Mountain", by the same author is another great read.

Sorry for the sidetrack.....

There's more buck fawns born then female fawns also bucks have a higher death rate.
    If you don't believe that, tell the University of Coloradda their full of it like Jellysharpelbows iz
    Jel .. P.H.D. Colorado Rocky Mountain High -- No one's too big to stop a sharp elbows k o
    Last edited by Jelvis; 12-07-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Don't even think about it -