Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Re: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Quote Originally Posted by ru rancher View Post
    actually in can directly effect it think of it this way if a pile of deep branches are lieing there then plants cannot grow there this means a waste of space so if the ground is free of these obsticles that block plant life then this would increase the pruduction of the land go out into a fresh cut block and look at all the piles of sticks that block the sunlight from reaching the seeds and such in the dirt this i would think is the reason fires grow back faster then cut blocks
    Course Woody Debris. Best way to think of it is Food for soils and plants. It also can be Home for many small critters and birds.

814 and 812 do not lack clear cuts so feed is not the issue in my opinion. Yes, there is wolves but nothing crazy. Have not seen an increase in cougar sign. Increase in pressure from new hunters coming to the area looking for WT does yes. A good number of mule deer bucks get taken by hunters looking for WT. In my opinion the area hass become bad for poaching. Seen guys nailed in a check stop with mule deer does, heard shots at night, locals telling me poach has increased, and even ran into some that bragged about it. This is a big issue for 812 & 814.

I still seem to see a good number of mule deer and don't see the need to do away with any buck. Increase in CO presents in the area would be good. Also don't run the WT doe season at the same time as any buck mule deer would ease some pressure.

4pt season useless

Folks,

Please review this "gentle overview" of the status of mule deer in our province.

http://peachlandsportsmens.ca/wp-con...il-26-2012.pdf

The best available science should be consulted before people begin to recommend management changes, sometimes based on anecdotal evidence. As many on here have stated before when people begin preaching about regulations - Hunter's trying to manage other hunters to increase their own success is a losing battle. Seek the root of the problem, talk to MLA's, voice your concern. Increasing burns, protection of winter range, more public acceptance of SEVERE predator control, will all create the herds of mule deer you are seeking. NOT fighting eachother on how many points a legal buck can have..

Quote Originally Posted by ru rancher View Post
    actually in can directly effect it think of it this way if a pile of deep branches are lieing there then plants cannot grow there this means a waste of space so if the ground is free of these obsticles that block plant life then this would increase the pruduction of the land go out into a fresh cut block and look at all the piles of sticks that block the sunlight from reaching the seeds and such in the dirt this i would think is the reason fires grow back faster then cut blocks
    they do this apparently to put the nourishment from the decaying wood back into the ground.
    that's what I was told.
    how long is that expected to take?
    just a couple years ago the practice was to go back in and clean a cut up after logging it.
    was that not working?

Thank-you for posting the link: I contributed and glad we live in a democracy where we can have forums like these and the ability to put our 2 cents down about resource management:
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by eastkoothunter View Post
    It would be nice to see any buck closed down, just to see if it helps any. Its hard as all hell to even just see muley bucks anymore. There are a ton of ifs, and's, or but's that could be done or said to increase the deer population, but I think its a time thing. A point that was mentioned to me I never thought of was that its all a cycle. Deer/ungulate population goes up; predator population follows suite and increases; deer/ungulate population decrease; predator population follows suite again... And so on and so on. I thought it was an interesting idea, and not saying its right, but at this point who the hell knows whats right and whats wrong.
    sure id say thats the way nature works but why i dont see that happening is because think of all the cattle out there once the deer and such are gone thats what the predators move to and this is why i feel predators need to be managed better there are other food sources for them out there so just cause most of the game is gone doesnt nessisarily mean all the predators will follow suit

I noticed that mule deer like it where I see pyramids of pine trees all shoved together into burn piles maybe a forty yards apart or so.
    Maybe the tree to eat or the flat open space gets sunlight and the shrubs and grass grows.
    On the forest floor with no more canopy. Add H2O and sun, Bim Bam Boom!
    Yah see it every where from Tunkwa to Lilly Fart.
    All dressed up for the late fall early and late winter early spring you can here that chainsaw ring. Fire starting and let her go, the forestry guys said give it a try.
    Select logging or by horse is excellent of course, cuz a horse is a horse of course
    Jelly Mister (Ed) the talking Horse
    Last edited by Jelvis; 12-03-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Don't B Shiteing me now

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I guess Dually has never hunted a 15 year old or older burn that has never seen Salvage Logging. Talk about Nasty hiking. Not much different than many Pine stands that haven't been logged.
    I think duallie's disdain for road hunters makes it clear he hasn't spent much time hiking more than a few hundred yards from his truck.

Our 10 year old burn may be great habitat but it's already extremely nasty hiking due to the blowdown. The regen is making great places for animals to hide but it's not hunter friendly. My suspicion is guys will see more tracks and less game and soon will be pushing for more restrictions because there's "no game left". Lmao
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    yup.
    and they are all full of whiteys.
    not a muley to be found.
    and this is where I used to come muley hunting and there was no whiteys.
    So would you blame october any buck hunters on the "disappearance" of the mule deer or habitat transformation and apparent competetion with whitetails?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Course Woody Debris. Best way to think of it is Food for soils and plants. It also can be Home for many small critters and birds.
    so yes there is a reason they leave them they do provide sources of food for the soil witch means in say 4 years the plants will be very abundant wich id say is roughly a third of a mule deers life i dont have an answer to do it better that wouldnt cost way to much money so i dont see the mass amount of debris in a cut block becoming less anytime soon necuase it does help the soil greatly in the longer run