Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Re: Close any buck general open seasons in the East Okanagan and Kootenays

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    but I sure as shit prefer to hunt in less busy areas than have endless traffic roaring around.
    who wouldn't?
    Dont hunt between Merritt and Kelowna then...................problem solved.

How wood U like to go on a summer vacation from your house and home belongings and the gardens that R all grown to pick, and when you arrive back in winter time all burnt to the ground and you standin dare like a naked scarecrow. Nuttin, all gone
    Wood you be saying hey, this is real good, I have less than nuttin honey, lost everything, no food, no wind protection, no hiding spot. Nuttin Honey, but you say yood like dat?
    Jelly Woods, Get real, how wood this make U feel?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 12-03-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Your Out to Lunch and No food, huh U think that's funny?

fires are oodles times better than clearcuts.
    new growth is flourishing in no time after a fire.
    and one can still walk through where a fire went through.
    a clear-cut is an utter mess and virtually unwalkable.
    Your ability to successfully stalk through an area has little to do with habitat quality...it can, at times, be inversely related..

fires are oodles times better than clearcuts.
    new growth is flourishing in no time after a fire.
    and one can still walk through where a fire went through.
    a clear-cut is an utter mess and virtually unwalkable.
    I noticed in you thread " falking dead" a lot of clear cuts in your pics.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    No need to be angry as all hunters have every right to be there just like you. If is "Public" Crown land after all. I have seen numerous threads on here over the years where people bash on road hunters. Do you really want everyone to jump into the trees and pound the same bush as you? I'd rather have a mountain all to myself because most don't have the physical gumption that I may have. When I road hunt, I try to pick areas with less animals just so I'm not in that 'crowded' hunting situation. If I do find myself in a crowd, I make the most of it and use the other hunters to my advantage.
    good point.
    and I'm more than happy that they are zooming up and down the roads, even unwilling to stop and look at a fresh track.
    I especially like your point about it being public land and we all have just as much right there.
    it's those asshole road hunters that think the road belongs to them though that pisses me off.
    they refuse to let someone who is in a hurry by them.
    this happens several times every season to me.
    for me, the road is only there to take me to my location that I've scouted.
    and I want to get there as soon as I can, not take as absolutely humanly possible to get there.
    I had an hour and a half before dark last week.
    so I planned to run up and do a hike in and get my trailcam set up before it got dark.
    very soon after leaving the pavement, I caught up to a guy going putt-putt up the road, staring off into the trees and taking his time.
    and there's no hunting for the first many kilometers, as it's right alongside the highway.
    I came up on him quick, showing that I'm in a hurry to continue on and I'm not road hunting.
    I could see he wasn't going to let me by, he made a point of staying in the middle and not giving any passing room.
    so I backed off just enough so as to not be right on his bumper, but still showing I'm wanting by.
    and in no time, he's flipping the finger at me out the window.
    he kept in the middle, even veering more to the other side and back every so often to show that he had no intent to let me by.
    this went on for several kilometers before he finally pulled over and allowed me by.
    it's these guys that piss me right off.
    these guys give road hunters a bad name like poachers give hunters a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by snareman1234 View Post
    Your ability to successfully stalk through an area has little to do with habitat quality...it can, at times, be inversely related..
    actually in can directly effect it think of it this way if a pile of deep branches are lieing there then plants cannot grow there this means a waste of space so if the ground is free of these obsticles that block plant life then this would increase the pruduction of the land go out into a fresh cut block and look at all the piles of sticks that block the sunlight from reaching the seeds and such in the dirt this i would think is the reason fires grow back faster then cut blocks

I guess Dually has never hunted a 15 year old or older burn that has never seen Salvage Logging. Talk about Nasty hiking. Not much different than many Pine stands that haven't been logged.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    I noticed in you thread " falking dead" a lot of clear cuts in your pics.
    yup.
    and they are all full of whiteys.
    not a muley to be found.
    and this is where I used to come muley hunting and there was no whiteys.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I guess Dually has never hunted a 15 year old or older burn that has never seen Salvage Logging. Talk about Nasty hiking. Not much different than many Pine stands that haven't been logged.
    I was just comparing the ones that were mentioned, the Okanagan and mclure.
    and the clearcuts that I'm finding everywhere that aren't cleaned anymore, but left with the broken/smashed wood covering every inch of ground.

It would be nice to see any buck closed down, just to see if it helps any. Its hard as all hell to even just see muley bucks anymore. There are a ton of ifs, and's, or but's that could be done or said to increase the deer population, but I think its a time thing. A point that was mentioned to me I never thought of was that its all a cycle. Deer/ungulate population goes up; predator population follows suite and increases; deer/ungulate population decrease; predator population follows suite again... And so on and so on. I thought it was an interesting idea, and not saying its right, but at this point who the hell knows whats right and whats wrong.