Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maximizing Penetration

Bow Walker Guest

Maximizing Penetration

There are, generally speaking, two ways to get the most kinetic energy out of a given set up. One is to dial up the draw weight, and the other is to use a heavier missile. Goes for crossbows as well as any other type of bow.

I'm not a fan of arbitrarily screwing down the limb bolts just to get more penetration into larger game animals. This will work - to some extent - but it puts extra strain on muscles and makes the bow much more difficult to draw back on those colder days when the big ones are out roaming around looking for "love". I' d much rather investigate the use of heavier arrows/bolts to do the penetration job.

Todays arrow choices are such that there are a lot of choices in either aluminium, carbon, or A/C shafts to meet our needs. Carbons can be had that exceed 9 or 9.2 grains-per-inch and coupled with a "cut-on-contact" broadhead, these choices will give you the needed penetration.

A/C shafts like the Full Metal Jacket, and GT's Big Game exceed the 9.5 gpi range (they get into the 11 gpi area) provide a definite punch when you are looking to maximize penetration. Properly placed, most arrows will "blow" right through a deer, an elk, a bear, and even moose.

Just some idle thoughts from an idle mind.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Maximizing Penetration

Maybe if Hermit had read this post he wouldn't need the EXTENSION to his DOINKER!!!!

Maximizing Penetration... good one! For I minute there I thought I was on the wrong forum!

snicker...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

There are, generally speaking, two ways to get the most kinetic energy out of a given set up. One is to dial up the draw weight, and the other is to use a heavier missile
    I think its important to note that there is a point where the KE is maximized in realtion to arrow weight/arrow speed. Speed the arrow up by using to light an arrow and the KE will actually go down. Same is true if you slow the bow down too much with too heavy an arrow...you have to find a happy medium to maximize KE. Now that is not the only thing you can do to aid in penetration. Some other things to consider to maximize PENETRATION:

assuming the bow is properly tuned and shooting well

- Cut on contact heads will generally penetrate better than a mechanical
    - a long narrow broadhead will generally penetrate better than a short wide one...but you do give up some cutting surface so thats a trade-off you will have to choose for yourself
    - a slim arrow shaft will penetrate better than a thicker one as it has less surface area to create friction upon entry(minimal difference)
    - a stiffer arrow will easily out penetrate one that is too soft of a spine. Reason for this is if the arrow is flexing at the point of impact it will lose energy, and the softer spine will flex much more at impact than the stiff one....there was a great video somewhere that showed this very well with slow motion video, the result was quite dramatic. This is why I shoot one spine up on my hunting bows.

Just some things to ponder
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

Thanks Chris, saves me a lot more typing.

no problem BW...I live to serve!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

{a slim arrow shaft will penetrate better than a thicker one as it has less surface area to create friction upon entry(minimal difference)

Just my $0,05 worth , I think that the fat shaft/ thin shaft thing is just marketing,hype by the arrow companys to sell different arrows every year. you'll notice a few years ago a big shaft 2613 was the one to have now it's slim shafts, ST Axis, super slims. If you have a good broadhead { 3 blade }sharp 2 blade, it will cut a big hole, that can't close up{ the broadhead hole is bigger than the arrow }and there is no friction on the shaft, and even if there was, blood is very slick on the shaft, just like an oil, it'll slide on thru with little or no friction. In my 30 + years bowhunting I never had a problem with the shaft dia.

Also at a certian point, speed overtakes mass, general phyisics.
    Last edited by Eagle1; 02-04-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

G' Day Lads,

This my first post so be gentle with me

While I have never been to BC, I have hunted some fair bruisers over here in Australia and I have been in on a few hunts with other lads on Buffalo. These are one of (if not the) toughest critters around. Between me and a small group of mates we have tried arrows from 450 grains right up to over 800 grains, all out of current model top line compounds.

IMHO there are two things that make for good penetration.

1, The broad head has to be shaving sharp, not just sharp but SHAVING sharp. If the hairs on your forearm don't run away from blade then it ain't sharp.

2, Arrow flight, if your arrow flies like a dog and wags all the way to the vital zone you will lose heaps of penetration. When you let them go you should see nothing but the nock of your arrow disappearing into the kill zone.

At my first arrow he was quartering away hard and my arrow buried all the way, the broad head stopped on the far side shoulder. My finishing shot went in between the shoulder blades and the BH came out around 4 inches between the front legs (he was laying in the shade feeling the effects of my first arrow) he stood at the shot then dropped for the count after eye ballin me for a few seconds.

I shoot a Mathews Switchback, 73#, 29" draw and my arrows weigh around 470 grains.

Cheers Noel

Bow Walker Guest

Welcome to the site interceptor. BTW does your choice of name have anything to do with the Mad Max movies?

That is one fine trophy you have there Noel! Do you guys eat those buffalo or are they not good for the Bar-be? Apparently Cape buffalo have a tough hide to penetrate. It looks like your setup works very well.

You neglected to mention the type of broadhead with which you downed that bad boy. I understand the German Kinetics Silver Flame type of broadhead is fairly popular 'down under' - was it one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    Welcome to the site interceptor. BTW does your choice of name have anything to do with the Mad Max movies?
    Welcome.......and I too was wondering this. Good chice in movies BW