Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far to pull the bow back?

How far to pull the bow back?

I am wondering how far I should pull my compound bow back. When the cam turns over I can still pull it back a little bit. So should I pull back as far as it will go or should I pull it just when the cam turns over? When the cam turns over and I continue to pull I can see the limbs bend back from the point where the cam turns over to the point where I can't pull back anymore. Also when I pull it back all the way the arrow also sounds like it is shooting faster. It also affects where my arrow goes when I pull it back all the way or hold it right when the cam turns over.

It is an alpine Frontier 60-70lb pull, single cam bow.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How far to pull the bow back?

pull it back all the way hard into the wall thats the only way to get a consistant release. I am not to sure but mayby your cam is a little to fast i am not femilaur with a single cam bow.

Bow Walker Guest

X 2..........draw back hard into/against the wall. Just don't compromise your form to do it.

Okay. I should probably lower the draw length down a bit then, because it feels more comfortable to hold it right after the cam turns over. When I am pulling it all the way I feel like I am stretching a bit, and I also hit my forearm a few times when I was shooting like that. So I will lower it a 1/2 inch.

Bow Walker Guest

Good idea - you don't want to have a totally stiff bow arm, it romotes a high shoulder.

Pulling "hard" into the wall is a great idea if you have a draw stop that actually stops on the limb. If you have a draw stop that contacts the string you can easily go beyond where you should. What you are describing could easily be "overotating" the cam....which would indeed increase arrow speed. Without seeing you shoot it's impossible to tell if you are just getting it to full draw or are actually overotating it. Any chance you can post up a couple pictures with the bow drawn in both the ways you describe with particular attention paid to the bottom cam???

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Some are designed to be shot from the valley and some from the wall. Regardless one should be aware that overdrawing a bow can cause damage to a bow.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 02-03-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Okay, I will try and get a few pictures up.

Probably get them up tomorrow. It's my mom's birthday today.
    Last edited by dan_plus_o; 02-06-2007 at 03:12 PM.

BUMP

Okay here are some pictures and I also got a video clip of the cam rotating.

Here is the video download link: http://d.turboupload.com/d/1499645/MOV00518.MPG.html

I drawed the bow back until the cam turned over then I held it for a bit. I then pulled back harder and the cam rotated a bit more.

Here are some pictures:

Overview (cam just turned over)

Overview (drawing bow back farther)

Close Up (cam just turned over)

Close Up (drawing bow back farther)

So is the bow being overdrawn when I draw the bow back farther like that?

so is the first pic as soon as the cam rolls over??and if so, it then gets easier(letoff) and then you pull to the wall??so when it hits the wall, is that where you stop pulling or are you continuing to pull past the initial wall???? these alpine bows tend to have a long cushy valley, not a dead stop wall like some of the other bows out there.as chris said bows that have a peg draw stop that contacts the limb, makes it better to pull hard to the wall. i dont believe your bow has that and just looking at the pic you may be over drawing the bow abit. just my opinion though. another little tip, try relaxing your grip hand a little try shooting a bit with a relaxed open grip, feels kinda weird to begin with but trust your sling. after you shoot keep that hand open, and keep the bow up until you hit the target. dont get into the habit of dropping you arm as soon as the shot goes off. have fun and enjoy your new obsession
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club