Thread: 100 mile house

100 mile house

Well I decided this year to donate some time towards finding geese in 100 mile. If I had to choose one word to describe my season I would choose the word Fail. We have gotten a few ducks but no luck with even seeing geese. So to anyone who may know the area can you please point me in the right direction.
    What time of the season is best?
    I've been hunting around a few marshy/small lakes close to my cabin at deka, but I feel like there aren't that many passing through the area. Do they stick more to the valleys and lower areas while heading south?

Thanks for any comments or tips. This is my first year hunting for waterfowl so no tip is too rudimentary for me.
    Chris

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 100 mile house

I haven't hunted geese for 9 years but when I did it took lots of scouting. I would drive around and find where they are feeding during the day and get permission to set up in that field the next morning before daylight. You would then get one crack at the flock before it moved to another field. Then its scout again finding another flock feeding. I don't hunt on water because thats their roost. Shoot at them while roosting and they move out of the area all together.
    Finding them somewhere and sneaking in to jump-shoot was a futile attempt for me. Too many guards watching everything. I have crawled for a 100 yards on all 4's trying to get close enough for a shot to look up and see them all flying away.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Well that kind of confirms what I was thinking. I usually tag out on a mule deer pretty early on, so I figured this year I would try for waterfowl for the remainder of the season. Thanks for the input

45 yrs. ago we had a good goose shoot in some fields up around Canim L.

I lived at Buffalo Lake some yr. ago, I'm sure there are still lots of Geese around there .
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

Thanks for the replies guys. The only question I still have is what time of the season does the majority of the migration take place? Is it mostly done by now?
    Thanks again
    chris

Check out the fly way out west of 108 mile lots of bird hunting there

what tigrr said...
    if you want to slay mad honkers.
    If you want to enjoy the cold wet weather, then just keep at er the hard way.
    It will take a layout blind and lots of deeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......