Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moronic regulations proposal

Moronic regulations proposal

It's that time of the year.

If the 'stakeholders' in this rationale are the SCWA, I can only shake my head. Ken Child must be bashing his head on a wall somewhere. The 7A calf season is, was, and always will be sustainable. We want to 'feel' like we're doing something even though we know the effect of the change won't accomplish anything? Wow.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/ahte/hunti...f-moose-season

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moronic regulations proposal

So they are proposing to restrict a sustainable hunt (reduce hunter opportunity) even though this will have little or no impact on moose populations so that it "seems like" they are taking action (even though they really aren't)?!?! I'm with you, AR.

I don't see an issue with this at all.

Ive spent a LOT more time in the field this year, and I can count on one hand how many cow moose Ive seen, and I have not seen a single calf moose.

This is all within 2 hours of PG.

Its been a long time coming in my opinion.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

If moose populations are down, then I agree we should take action. But it should be meaningful action, not action that just makes it look like we are doing something when really we aren't. My understanding is that the highest winter mortality is among calves, so allowing a calf season has less impact on populations than other harvests (cows in particular).

^ Exactly. The fancy name for it is compensatory mortality.

There are lots of cows and calves in the PG area. They're just hard to see through the windshield of an F150.

What they should be doing is curtailing the cow LEH permits in core habitat areas which would promote the re-seeding of areas hammered by logging and increased access. It would likely require the creative delineation of smaller sub-zones within MUs, but it could be done. This regulation is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Eastbranch; 11-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.

1) Hunters think trivial regulation changes will increase wildlife populations
    2) Hunters don't believe habitat quality/quantity affects populations
    3) Hunters believe wildlife managers have some form of control over populations
    4) Hunters believe yelling at wildlife managers will increase wildlife populations
    5) Hunters believe MLAs and a chronic funding shortage doesn't effect wildlife populations
    6) Hunters believe their hunting license came with a Masters in Wildlife Management
    7) Hunters believe wildlife are like cattle

and finally

Hunters believe sitting at home or hanging out at Tim Horton's and complaining will change wildlife populations

The problems with wildlife management in BC is related to four things:

Funding
    Habitat enhancement
    Predator management
    Political will

All four of those can and will only come from hunters - no one else will do it for you.

If folks want to get some results get a hold of your MLA - don't talk about hunting regulations, that will get you nowhere, talk about those four things.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Killing baby moose makes no sense at all, unless you have an overpopulation of the species. We are far from that!!

Why kill your up and coming bulls and cows?

I would not give another penny of money to fund the dysfunctional "wildlife management" in BC. It's a joke.

because there are no moose in reg 6??
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

.Killing baby moose makes no sense at all, unless you have an overpopulation of the species. We are far from that!!

Why kill your up and coming bulls and cows?
    Not necessarily true. Best way to decrease a population is to kill the baby makers not the babies. A calf season is way less damaging to a species than a cow season.
    Last edited by RustyRipper; 11-15-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    NO MAN IS A FAILURE UNTIL HE REFUSES TO GET BACK UP...

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRipper View Post
    Not necessarily true. Best way to decrease a population is to kill the baby makers not the babies. A calf season is way less damaging to a species than a cow season.
    Shut them both down, want the population to go up stop shooting cows & calves. No brainer! No bag limit on wolves!