Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 5 Moose Decline

Region 5 Moose Decline

Here is a report from Wildlife Infometrics,

Re-evaluation of trends in Moose Populations in the Cariboo Region 1985-2012
    http://www.quesnelrodandgun.ca/wp-co...30726_1015.pdf

Have a read, sorry about the hot-link to another website but this is an 86 page document and trying to post it verbatim here isn't going to work.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 5 Moose Decline

Whew long read and yet I feel more confused than I did before reading it. Is it me or does the study basically come right out and say results are inconclusive? I didn't know any of the exact numbers listed throughout but it all seemed like common knowledge too me. Pine beetle, wolves and unregulated hunting.

That's what I'm getting from it as well Chris, but I haven't had time to give it good read yet. Seems a big problem that is mentioned several times is "the paucity of information" which once I looked up the word (not ashamed to admit that .. lol) I couldn't agree more. With the lack of information comes poor management and there in lies a big problem.

Read the report ...blah blah blah and suggest more studies .. I can help with the one area always over-looked, namely Indians are killing lots of moose, they don't care about bulls, cows, calves, just killing them all... everyone should be aware of the regulations regarding native hunting... 1. NOT transferrable to anyone, native involved MUST pull the trigger, hunting ONLY in traditional territories, must use meat for themselves...... soooooo LOTS of contraventions and illegal native hunting...these regs from BC Government official.... turn them in as native killing is very bad for conservation

I don't think First Nations harvest is over looked in any way, shape or form. I see your post count is low and join date is fairly new, so you haven't been here long..... and you likely won't be here for much longer if First Nations bashing is all you have to offer. Having said that, your concern about illegal harvesting is echoed by many but as you will find .. there really is nothing we can we do about the illegal First Nations aspect of it. Reporting First Nations offenses is a dead end street with no LEO willing to waste their time or the courts time trying to get a conviction. Illegal harvest, be it First nations or others, is not the main problem.
    Last edited by TPK; 12-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Quote Originally Posted by oldersniper View Post
    Read the report ...blah blah blah and suggest more studies .. I can help with the one area always over-looked, namely Indians are killing lots of moose, they don't care about bulls, cows, calves, just killing them all... everyone should be aware of the regulations regarding native hunting... 1. NOT transferrable to anyone, native involved MUST pull the trigger, hunting ONLY in traditional territories, must use meat for themselves...... soooooo LOTS of contraventions and illegal native hunting...these regs from BC Government official.... turn them in as native killing is very bad for conservation
    Actually many bands have and are doing there own policing when they can. including excluding many band members from there territory where wild life is at risk. There are bad people in all walks of life.

While i may have high hopes, would be nice to see all participantd follow some set of guide lines.

While your at it though, you should also blame the great white poacher...............
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

As has been said before, don't feed the troll, he's just a wanna be politician, that should pretty much sum up his intelligence!! K

Well what i got from it is, its getting easier to get into area's that might have been tougher when there were no logging roads. Also i think they are saying this makes it easier to harvest a moose weather it be legal or illegal.
    just my 2 cents.

Well i-m happy to report our hunting party got 3 bulls in 5-02.we.ve been going there draws permitted since 1996 and can say the moose hunting has been pretty consistant.i-m sure theres some merit to these studies but i take them with a grain of salt.

The only thing i see different is the bulls seem to be getting smaller?