Thread: New to crossbows- tuning questions

New to crossbows- tuning questions

I am very new to bow hunting and bows. So I picked up a used Excalibur Equinox for someone on this site this summer. I took it out in August on a warm day and sighted it in. Hit bullseye on my second shot at 20 yards, then went out to 50 yards and was making 1 1/2" groupings in no time. I've taken it out a few times but not shot it since.

Then I read Jim Prawns post on the luminoks not shooting the same as the regular Firebolts. I too had just purchased some luminocks and decided I should go test them at the range before firing them in the field. So I went to the range last Sunday. I was having significant, but consistent drop from my new bolts as well, about 6 inches. I basically had to retune the bow to fire these new bolts. I thought it was strange I should have soo much drop.

But then I had a thought. When I first sighted it in August, the temps were very warm in the high 20's or low 30's, but on Sunday we were a few degrees above zero. I would think the change in temp would have a significant effect on the bow's performance, would it not? Warmer temps causes stuff to expand, and the cold to contract, right? How should the string react? How should the limbs react?

Anyways, any thoughts here?
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to crossbows- tuning questions

Different brands of shafts and components can and do affect arrow flight. 5 grains of weight will affect arrow speed. A slight helical fletch will allso slow the arrow, all of which affects the trajectory of bolt or arrow in flight. If you change components you should prove the point of impact.

Temperature, humidity and elevation all have effect on every flying projectile and the equipment that it flies from. Some are minute and other combinations very noticeable.