Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Blinds on public land

Re: Blinds on public land

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    However, Crown land will always be public land - anything you choose to leave behind including garbage becomes public property - that means the marsh, mountains in the kootneys - it really doesn't matter!! Anyone stumbling upon it has as much right to use it as you or anyone else.
    Incorrect. If you leave your property on crown land it does not become public property. You still own it. You don't own the ground or tree it's on, however.

So if someone is in your property, you may remove your property, but you can't tell them not to occupy the ground/tree it is in.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Actually, there is no difference at all between treestands or duck blinds when it comes to public land....if you want to claim a spot by leaving your stand up....do it on privately owned land where you have control over who can and cant access the area. Where does this idea come from that I can claim a spot by leaving a "store bought" stand or blind on public land? If you are to lazy to pack it out when you're done for the day, that's not the other hunters problem! Setting it up and leaving it there for days or weeks to let the area get use to it (cool down)is a good idea. However, that privilege is best exercised on controlled access land.
    Why would you care if someone viewed what was on your trail cam as long as it was left unharmed and in place? Also for the record, I would not leave a trail cam on public land for an extended period of time and be naive enough to believe no one would touch it.
    What ever.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Incorrect. If you leave your property on crown land it does not become public property. You still own it. You don't own the ground or tree it's on, however.

So if someone is in your property, you may remove your property, but you can't tell them not to occupy the ground/tree it is in.
    True, however, after a certain length of time, salvage rights may be applied for. You can't leave something for an indefinate amount of time on crown land and still claim ownership....that's my understanding, could be wrong though!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    True, however, after a certain length of time, salvage rights may be applied for. You can't leave something for an indefinate amount of time on crown land and still claim ownership....that's my understanding, could be wrong though!
    I agree, after a certain point it would be deemed abandoned. How long it would take probably depends on the item and what would be a reasonable amount of time. Maybe there are prescribed time periods for things like vehicles, but I don't know.

Portable tree stands left in a tree for a few days or weeks probably wouldn't qualify as abandoned, nor do they become "public property" though.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I think most of us understand that it's more "the blind" then "my blind". I would feel perfectly reasonable talking to someone in a blind I built and letting them know I would appreciate help in maintaining it. Quickly let them know and get out of their way so I'm not impeding on their hunt, but common courtesy would probably lead most people to helping in maintenance or construction.

If I was to leave a treestand or ground blind on public land and showed up and someone was in it. I would ask them not to use my equipment. I would be fine with letting them hunt there I would go elsewhere. If they didn't want to get out of my treestand I could simply climb up their with them and remove my screw in or strap on steps on my way down. They can then stay in my stand as long as they like.

As for people messing around with my trail cameras I wouldn't be very happy about. Yes I would be fine if a hunter went and looked at it and left it alone. But say that hunter hunts close by every weekend, I would not like him looking at it everytime.

Its called respect.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

I personally wouldn't use another person's tree stand, I don't see their presence as limiting my options in the same way that a duck blind does. You can literally put your stand in an adjacent tree if you like the spot, the fact that the other guys empty stand is right beside you isn't going to mess with you at all.

Now in a Marsh of limited size where the reeds are fragile and there are definitely "best" spots, I'm not going to go to an inferior location when a perfectly usable empty blind is there in my preferred location

In a Marsh for me its first one there. I wouldn't be building a very elaborate blind on public land in a marsh. Even on private land I have spent the night in a field so I was the first one there in the morning (2 different waterfawl groups had permission to hunt the particular field.)

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

like I said you guys must be hurtin for spots or livin in a different world..I'll take a man's word and walk if it's the stand he built and he's worked his ass off..if I'm just visiting for the day it's his...period.

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    A little different, but this is along the same lines. On the muskwa we made camp at a site that looked like it was used before. These guys came up and tried pressuring us to leave. We stuck to our rights and informed them it was public land and is first come, first serve. It got a little tense for a while. Anybody have this happen to them before? Can't believe some people think they own the river.
    Hapens quite often on the river. Good for you sticking to your guns
    Resident hunter and proud of it!