Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinds on public land

Re: Blinds on public land

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    I agree with last statement pack in you pack out problem solved. What if squatters built shacks would that be acceptable ? I think not same deal.
    Store bought ground blind or tree stand in the deer woods is an entirely different matter. You may want to go into a hot spot set up and give it a few days to settle down then return. Its not a perminant structure like a shack deffinately not the same deal at all. Pack it in and pack it out when you are finished with it. If you cant leave a tree stand for a few days why should you be able to leave a trail cam for a few weeks? And should anyone be able to come and view the card from your trail cam any time they so choose. Much different than a duck blind of branches and reeds that may or may not be uses regularly.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

No Kelly morally you were there first. Blind builder should of gotten there first if he wanted his spot. But then the blind guy won't be setup to hunt elsewhere if he doesn't have a boat blind so it's shitty but if you were in a punt already setup and waiting I'd be giving you the right of way to hunt there. Or depending on wind only shoot birds you let pass and come into me.

Thats why theres so many races in the states refuges to get to a spot first or draw a good blind. Guys camp overnight.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Store bought ground blind or tree stand in the deer woods is an entirely different matter. You may want to go into a hot spot set up and give it a few days to settle down then return. Its not a perminant structure like a shack deffinately not the same deal at all. Pack it in and pack it out when you are finished with it. If you cant leave a tree stand for a few days why should you be able to leave a trail cam for a few weeks? And should anyone be able to come and view the card from your trail cam any time they so choose. Much different than a duck blind of branches and reeds that may or may not be uses regularly.
    Actually, there is no difference at all between treestands or duck blinds when it comes to public land....if you want to claim a spot by leaving your stand up....do it on privately owned land where you have control over who can and cant access the area. Where does this idea come from that I can claim a spot by leaving a "store bought" stand or blind on public land? If you are to lazy to pack it out when you're done for the day, that's not the other hunters problem! Setting it up and leaving it there for days or weeks to let the area get use to it (cool down)is a good idea. However, that privilege is best exercised on controlled access land.
    Why would you care if someone viewed what was on your trail cam as long as it was left unharmed and in place? Also for the record, I would not leave a trail cam on public land for an extended period of time and be naive enough to believe no one would touch it.

Well gentlemen. It sounds like we're fighting for space along the Vedder. Love that shoulder to shoulder fishing. No thanks. That's why I moved from the LML and love the vastness of Crown Land in the Kootenays.

To be specific, I'm not really worried about what you think is right or wrong. But where we hunt, if a guy puts up a stand, we respect it. If someone wants to hunt that location and the guy who put the stand up is not there, go right ahead. Just don't use his stand. If you're in the area and the guy who puts the stand up shows up, to bad. (there is no 'saving' a spot because you have a stand up) You are not obligated to leave. But we don't take our stands down every night. Now that would be funny. But we do leave other guys property alone.

Well, the jest of this thread was about people believing they can claim a spot on public land and demand you leave when they show up....not about what some people do in the Kootenays.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Well, the jest of this thread was about people believing they can claim a spot on public land and demand you leave when they show up....not about what some people do in the Kootenays.
    Thanks for recognizing that, I was trying to concur with you. You can't save a spot by having something in place. You certainly can't demand they leave when you show up. My specific point was, if it is something of value, like a treestand (not a hole in the ground with some dirt and brush piled on. Another user, should leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Thanks for recognizing that, I was trying to concur with you. You can't save a spot by having something in place. You certainly can't demand they leave when you show up. My specific point was, if it is something of value, like a treestand (not a hole in the ground with some dirt and brush piled on. Another user, should leave it alone.
    Do try and keep up JT - the duck blinds in the pit marsh are properly constructed structures, wooden floors raised above the waterline etc. etc - money invested in wood to the tune of, if not more - that your tree stand! Not quite the holes in the ground with some dirt or bush piled on that you trying to paint! People have invested a load of time - effort and money to build and maintain these things.

However, Crown land will always be public land - anything you choose to leave behind including garbage becomes public property - that means the marsh, mountains in the kootneys - it really doesn't matter!! Anyone stumbling upon it has as much right to use it as you or anyone else.
    Last edited by Kudu; 11-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

You guys make it so hard for a guy to keep up. But I will try.

For me. And I'm only saying for me.... If I wanted to enjoy a siesta or hunt, on/in or near a nice concealed, constructed, raised wood floor structure (blind) on crown land, if I didn't financially support it or build it, if it wasn't occupied upon my arrival, I'd lay/hunt, beside it. This is pretty much the accepted practice I've experienced from Region 8 through to the east side of region 4. It isn't that I can't hunt there.

Smile Re: Blinds on public land

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Sorry about that ....guess I wasn't reading it properly. I don't hunt in populated areas so it really isn't a problem I've experienced much while hunting. But it has and does happen. Personally I could care less if someone wants to leave a couple hundred dollar stand in the bush and trust that it will be there for them when they return. Same goes with game cams. However I would have a big problem with someone telling me its their spot because they had a stand or blind set up. Fishing on the Skeena during the chinook run can be an exercise in frustration with people claiming spots for the duration of the summer by leaving a tent up or rod holders at the waters edge. I try to avoid these areas as well ....when I'm out hunting or fishing I'm out to enjoy the activity and not go face to face with some a-hole.
    I'd also add that out of respect for the enjoyment of other, I remove my stands when I'm done at the end of day. This way I'm not encroaching on their right to fully use an area that I'm not physically occupying. So while you where concurring with my statements, you were doing so with a caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
    Anyone can say they built it, just sayin...
    This very thing happened to me years ago.
    I built a blind 100 yards from a very well used deer trail and right beside the road.
    I had been hunting this area for years so I knew it well.
    I was in 30mins BEFORE legal shooting light.
    I see the head lights of a truck coming up the road and stop right in front of "my" ground blind.
    The door opens and a young guy gets out, so I turn on my flash light so they could see I was in there.
    The guy said "someones in the blind dad".
    The dad gets out and in a loud voice tells me to get out that it is their blind.
    In a louder voice I said that I built it.
    He was not happy I called him on his BS and drove up the road to where my dad was in another blind, and sat in the open 10 feet above him.
    Dad said "what are you doing" ?
    The reply was this is my spot and I'm hunting here.
    Dad stayed until I came to get him a few hours later.
    When I found out I went and had some words with the guy, mine were not so pleasant.
    I never did see them in the area again.

Just my experience & 2cents.

If they were in "my" blind before me...no big deal...I will find another place to hunt and may do even better.
    Last edited by 300H&H; 11-05-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc