Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excalibur Lumenok WARNING

Excalibur Lumenok WARNING

Went all out and bought a few Lumenok crossbow bolts for my Equinox this year. At $15 each (NOT including broadhead!) I figured I'd save them for hunting and use my standard bolts for target practise and siting in. Fortunately, I couldn't resist and had to try one out yesterday only to find I was almost missing the target at 50 yards.... A few shots confirmed this and back to the standard bolts; whack, whack, whack, 3 in the bull. A little thought and "Hmmm there must be a battery in these things, that must weigh something...." So even though they look exactly the same as standard Excalibur bolts, THEY ARE NOT. My powder scale confirmed that the Lumenoks are 16 grains heavier than the standard bolt. Not much you say? This equals about 6 inches at 50 yards, a swing and a miss on a blacktail. Another lesson learned...
    JP

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Excalibur Lumenok WARNING

I used standard and the luminoc arrows in my Excalibur Phoenix and they shot exactly the same at 50 yards, still 2" grouping and same elevation on target. Might have been a faulty batch you got not set to exact weights. Good thing you found out early. Did you contact them about it ?
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

So is it the actual bolt that weighs more or just the nocks? Assuming the bolt shafts are the same type, length and weight then you would want to make sure the Lumenoks themselves weigh the same as your standard nocks. Not all nocks weigh the same.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

I assume its the weight of the battery that makes the difference. I did not disassemble the bolts to weigh the nocks separately but weighed the whole bolt assembly (without tips). The nocks are 1/4" longer than the standard aluminum nocks but they are plastic so I dont think there would be a significant difference in weight there. They do however make the overall length 1/4" more. Since they are sold "off the shelf" specifically for excalibur crossbows I assumed they would shoot the same. I'll try and find contact info and see what they say.
    JP

if you contact them, please share what they say, interesting topic...do they advertise to shoot the same?

I see. They should specify that they are a different weight if that's the case. I wonder if Excalibur assembles them?
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

I've used them with no problems

its a good thing you decided to shoot them eh, i know that each one is heavier and should be a difference on the target, the ones i make were about 10 grains difference for my bow and then i got down even more but cant remember the exact difference but even on a few shows on TV they showed the difference between lumenok and normal noks after Chipper missed a great buck.

Question Re: Excalibur Lumenok WARNING

Factory Arrows?

I shoot Custom Black Eagle Executioners from my Matrix 380, with Luminoks. The Maker strongly suggested I go with heavier front Brass Inserts to maintain FOC due to the Luminoks being heavier than the standard aluminum nocks.
    These things shoot 1.5" groups at 40 yards, and less than 2" at 60 all day long.

Are the front inserts aluminum in those you got??

Wondering...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I'm glad I saw this post. I too purchased some luminoks for my Equinox. Haven't shot one yet, but now I will have to go see how they fly compared to the standard bolts, don't want to miss that BIG buck I'm after.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""