Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scent

Re: Scent

Wind and thermals my friend.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

What about swirling mountain wind? Are you just screwed on those days? I have had a lot of those lately.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Yeah I hunt scent free. With the wind in my face.

What at a crock of siht all the rest of that stuff is.
    I agree, but then I don't have a deer's nose so I can't be 100% sure. Just about 99% though. I had an interesting encounter with a group of caribou in the alpine last year. There were 6 animals and nowhere to hide. The saw us from about 150 yds and wondered what we were. As there was no legal bull among them we just sat there and watched as they circled to get downwind of us. As they circled, they also came closer. Judging by the wind direction, I expected there would be a fan of scent emanating from our position and getting wider as it went downwind. I kept expecting them to wind us as they came into this imaginary area, but they kept going, watching us all the way, until they were absolutely directly downwind and only about 60 yds away. Then it was all over and they spooked and made for the hills.