Thread: Loon lake area or tunkwa

Loon lake area or tunkwa

Hi y'all. New to this post. I have been hunting muleys since I can remember. I used to live in Kamloops so my digs were the Merritt Tunkwa region. Over the years, seen a lot of pressure and not as many bigguns as before so I would like to ask what your thoughts are on tripping over to the Loon lake area for BIG muleys as well as moose spike odds. I hunt on foot, and prefer stalking methods. Just came back from loon lake area and only saw a handful of deer / moose. No big muleys. Has anyone here hunted both areas and if so, any feedback and thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. I plan one more trip off the Ilsand here in mid November for rut but will leave room for a few days left of spike Moose so I just want to get a grasp of what some of you experienced in both these areas have to say and what your choice would be.
    Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Loon lake area or tunkwa

A friend has a place at Loon Lake. In the Summer you see a lot of does and bucks but nothing very old or big. (A doe & fawn spent the Summer bedding under the deck.) Never seen a moose around there. I think you have to go further East toward Bonaparte Lake.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

A friend was at loon lake for a week , saw more hunters than ever and never got a buck, They saw lots of does,and a cow , but came home empty, they figured too much hunting pressure.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Way too many hunters at Tunkwa as well ...
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

hey I saw that pair in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Dog View Post
    A friend has a place at Loon Lake. In the Summer you see a lot of does and bucks but nothing very old or big. (A doe & fawn spent the Summer bedding under the deck.) Never seen a moose around there. I think you have to go further East toward Bonaparte Lake.

both places are busy but both places produce deer, just have to look a little harder in the right spots there, good lucks
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

All these areas have become WAY, WAY to busy in November since region 5 was shut down rom nov 10 to 20th ( ibelieve that is correct??)
    hope that region 5 dates are changed soon!!! or areas as mentioned above will get hammered by hunters...who knows...maybe reg 3 next..?????
    hope not.....
    The upside I guess, is more hunters, more dead wolves???!!!
    But these areas are hit hard, and harder then ever before.
    If you haven't been...maybe find some areas away from the Clinton area closure to explore???
    just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagator View Post
    Hi y'all. New to this post. I have been hunting muleys since I can remember. I used to live in Kamloops so my digs were the Merritt Tunkwa region. Over the years, seen a lot of pressure and not as many bigguns as before so I would like to ask what your thoughts are on tripping over to the Loon lake area for BIG muleys as well as moose spike odds. I hunt on foot, and prefer stalking methods. Just came back from loon lake area and only saw a handful of deer / moose. No big muleys. Has anyone here hunted both areas and if so, any feedback and thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. I plan one more trip off the Ilsand here in mid November for rut but will leave room for a few days left of spike Moose so I just want to get a grasp of what some of you experienced in both these areas have to say and what your choice would be.
    Cheers.
    Was up there this past weekend lots of hunters seen 5 deer got lucky.talk to one guy he's been there for two weeks he got one little one an looking for moose but he said in the 2 weeks 14 camps went home with nothing.get off the roads an you well see them going back for my doe draw