Thread: Decisions, decisions...

Question Decisions, decisions...

So, I'm faced with making some decisions here. A few weeks back I got my first buck (a spiker) on my first day out in region 8. On Thanksgiving weekend myself and 3 buddies went up and hunted around between Logan Lake and Mt. Savona. We tried to either get a W/T doe/buck or another muley buck. No success but a wonderful weekend with lots of great memories and no shortage of things to be thankful for. My next booked trip is the Remembrance Day weekend. Given that I've already got a muley buck I'm either facing a whitey buck (any buck) in region 8 or a 4pt or better muley in region 3. I've only ever successfully hunted whitetails (doe only) in the W. Kootenays but I hear rumours that they're also in the Okanagan.
    I need to make a decision pretty soon here as I'll also be trying to nail down accommodation. We have family between Princeton and Summerland (MU 8- but I've maybe seen one whitetail in that area.
    So, what are your suggestions and why? Region 3 or region 8?
    Oh, and I'm not concerned about how pretty or studly the headgear is. I hunt for the meat and the experience(s).
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Region 3..... Plenty of areas that have WT and Mulies. I think it was B-rad that started a thread about areas to hunt WT in both regions. Why limit yourself to hunting one species when you can hunt for two.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Hey, Whonnock Boy. That is the way I'm leaning.
    BTW: You weren't by any chance up around Tunkwa during the Thanksgiving weekend, were you?
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

Really?! 304 views and only one opinion on HBC?!?! Inconceibable!

I agree with WB. Region 3 makes the most sense (or choose accommodations in a town that has easy access to both 3 and 8 )

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Really?! 304 views and only one opinion on HBC?!?! Inconceibable!
    inconceivable??/
    Because we are all thinking about the head gear and the rut.
    Not a concern for you, so we don't know what advice to offer.
    I will wish you good luck!
    and maybe see you out there, region 8 for me.
    Last edited by Blainer; 10-29-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Oh, and I'm not concerned about how pretty or studly the headgear is. I hunt for the meat and the experience(s).
    Thats because you have only shot one spiker. Wait until you put your hands on a mature big buck rack. You will be singing a different tune pretty quickly!

Region 3 might be a better choice for your rememberance day hunt. Keep in mind the mulie season closes Nov 10 in 8 so it could be a real zoo with guys trying to fill their mulie tag.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post

Region 3 might be a better choice for your rememberance day hunt. Keep in mind the mulie season closes Nov 10 in 8 so it could be a real zoo with guys trying to fill their mulie tag.
    True, but wouldn't you say that most road hunters are done as of the 31st when any buck is over? I'd say if you are cool with hiking a km or 2 from your truck region 8 should still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Thats because you have only shot one spiker. Wait until you put your hands on a mature big buck rack. You will be singing a different tune pretty quickly!

Be nice. Thanks for the pointer regarding the mule deer season closing Nov. 10. That is something to keep in mind.

I'm still trying to nail down our destination for next weekend. Has anyone seen many whitetails in MU 3-17? I've hunted the area twice before and only seen muleys. I love the area but if I have the option to be looking for either species (and don't have to count spikes on whitetails) then that is a bonus.