Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

Re: Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

Big Lew has some good pointers. One other thing that has helped me is a heavy snowfall. If it is just dumping down, and there are a few inches on the ground at least, it is much easier to be quiet going in. Also, they don't seem to be inclined to move as much, not quite so jumpy.

I have found during heavy snowfall (and this is just my experience) that deer sometimes just stop moving.
    They bed down early, wait it out, and once it is all done, then get up and start moving again!?

You can hunt all day, and during heavy snowfall (any old tracks get buried and un noticeable), and it feels like
    the deer have left the valley.
    Then after it stops, you suddenly see tracks again, and if you follow them backwards, you will find there beds, and the tracks leaving, but never entering (so they bedded early)

I always hunt regardless (limit to time), but do like hunting after heavy snowfall, rather then during, and only saying this so folks don't go out, and get discouraged thinking the deer have moved on, when in fact they haven't, they just stopped moving.

Just my experience, others may say different??

I have also noticed on 2 occasions where I walked all day in the snow looking for tracks but finding none, then coming back to my tracks the next day after snow has stopped I find deer tracks in my bootprints....one time up near loon lake I was able to follow the tracks in my bootprints and actually caught up to and shot the buck...

Quote Originally Posted by jetboat jim View Post

blacktails love coming out in the pissing rain (as long as its not too windy) they seem to lose all comon sense.
    That is actually something I always wondered: How active are deer in heavy rain versus good weather? I think that has been answered, thanks for that. WIll actually try hunting more in the rain next year....
    Last edited by Would Rather Be Fishing; 11-22-2018 at 05:13 PM.

In what way do you "walk" like a deer for crunchy conditions?

“In what way do you walk like a deer for crunchy conditions?”

Fred Asbell writes about this in his book - Stalking and Still Hunting. His suggestion is walking planting your foot at the base of your toe first and allowing your heel to strike second (opposite what is common). I think it demands patients and forces a person to slow down. I can’t speak to it’s effectiveness but it looks real silly when my brother does it. Likely the more common approach is to pick a spot and just sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    That is actually something I always wondered: How active are deer in heavy rain versus good weather? I think that has been answered, thanks for that. WIll actually try hunting more in the rain next year....
    Blacktails rain gets them moving But WT and MD usually hunker down in the rain. With WT and MD once that ran stops they come out no matter the time of day

I find that moving slowly, and randomly works good, walk for a few mins..take a 5min break..have a listen. Also, leave the noisey clothes at home, lots of wool and materials that dont make a bunch of noise.
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenmk View Post
    In what way do you "walk" like a deer for crunchy conditions?
    Few steps with light feet and long pause. Sounds simple but it takes time to learn how to place your feet, timing and pick your path

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Blacktails rain gets them moving But WT and MD usually hunker down in the rain. With WT and MD once that ran stops they come out no matter the time of day
    Timber hunt Muleys in the rain in the morning..they are up..the bush is quit..and your scent is down. Best time next to an all night snowfall by far.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)