Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

After hunting now for 5 seasons ive had my chances and usually always come away with some mule deer meat each season.
    Most of it coming from late day truck hunting when im not expecting it and some early season alpine hunting when they are still in the high open country.
    I want to take this sport thats not a sport but an obsession to the next level. Get out of the truck more, during the middle of the day and find muleys in the woods where i know they are bedded.
    To this point hiking the forests during bedding hours has rendered me little success in seeing anything except tons of fresh signs. I know they are in there but i just cant seem to see them before they are gone.
    Im hoping you can share your experience in how to hunt the forests on foot and increase the chances of actually sneaking up on mules deer ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

Hi Killer,
    I am in the same boat. I am chasing blacktails on the South Coast and adjacent areas. I have put in my time hiking around clearcuts, steep slopes thick with deadfall and brush etc. up to 1800 meters. I have followed trails for hours looking at tracks, droppings etc. I have been sitting during dusk and dawn hours with limited success. I know it is still early in the season especially with the warm, dry weather. I just put in the time anyway because sooner or later something will show. I would also be interested in a few pointers on how to sneak up on those beasts...
    Thx

Not that I have hunted a lot of mulies in the timber but I have hunted a lot of blackies exactly how you describe. First thing you need to identify is there feeding area and the actual bedding area. How and when they are moving to and from both areas and how you are going to get in there undetected. It comes with really getting to know an area and how to get around in it. Of course you can always stumble around and get lucky, which I think we all have done but with some effort it can be a much more productive way to hunt. Like Mantracker says...know your land, know your prey.
    Last edited by Gilmore; 10-28-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

Still hunting is good. Sneak about 15-20 yards at a time and then sit for 10 minutes or so. (Where you've seen sign before) If you can figure out the corridors they frequent you can sit in wait in the early am.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Glenny View Post
    Still hunting is good. Sneak about 15-20 yards at a time and then sit for 10 minutes or so. (Where you've seen sign before) If you can figure out the corridors they frequent you can sit in wait in the early am.
    So true...pay attention to the wind also...and be early..if you think your going slow on the sneak your still going to fast...they will be starting to move alot soon...lots of leaves fallin today!!

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I have had some success sneaking into bedding areas. First of all, I've noticed deer often will either position themselves so that they can see downwind, relying on their acute sense of smell to warn them of anything coming up behind them, or bed in a spot where nothing can possibly sneak up on them from behind without making a noise while they monitor the breezes coming toward them uphill. Almost always their beds have escape routes they can sneak away on without making a noise. With this in mind, I slowly pick my way sideways to the winds, using whatever game trails available, or will sneak along on downed trees, only going a few steps at a time, then thoroughly scanning the bush ahead of me before moving a few more steps. Usually I will see the tops of a rack or an ear flick, not the whole deer itself. I use soft felt moccasins and bush clippers to make my way as undetected as possible.

Hey K man I hope this thread brings out some of the pro's that barely post anymore. There are bunch of fellow members with entirely different styles of hunting that could really contribute here. When someone post's anything about muleys all the addicts read it, I just hope they post their tactics.
    Hunting the promised land

Slow down people, I taking notes here!
    I think I found some routes, but not sure where the bedding and feeding areas are. I will be glued to that thread for sure.

i agree with the post if you think your walking slow walk slower listen for cracks and look EVERYWHERE you never know where they might be standing or laying down iv hunted alot in thick old timber for those elusive mature mule deer bucks and iv learned alot in my few years hunting them due to being able to go out every day still no expert but big things include going slow being silent and being aware of what is going on around you

I have been getting better at stalking mulies in there beds this season. If your in the interior I have found the deer are bedded near the tops of hills but not right on top just below behind rocky bluffs in the timber. I sneak up the mountain with the wind in my face once near the top I really slow down like super slow as I go over the top I even go slower then 8 of of ten times this year one or a group of deer jump up right beside me scaring the crap out of me and go bouncing down the hill.i did get within 20 feet of a nice three point bedded but his head and neck were skylined so I never took the shot. Then he must of smelled me and bolted. One thing when you scare them out of there bed I noticed is they don't do the old mulie look back they just bolt. As well they don't come back the next day.si it's off to the next hill top ridge or knoll. It's a lot of hiking but the only way I have been able to find find mulies during the day.

Come on Dino give up some secrets you are the pro here.