Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

Re: Stalking Mule Deer in the west - tips tricks and methods.

Wildlife don't have watches folks.

Pick up an academic paper that has gps collared animals if you want to know why and when they move.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    How I took my best non typical. Camped on does that never had a buck around them.
    This is something I have had success with and to add to that have made many mistakes not watching does long enough, watching a bedded doe for a while then getting impatient and jumping her.....more often than not in the rut bucks will not bed with the does but stand off and walk around them......be patient and keep glassing the doe's as he won't be far away.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

A few guys have said here they only hunt in the rain. It's not always the case but a great tip, I think.
    I have seen muley's together in hard rain, in open area's midday, has anyone seen this as well?

the key is slow and be aware of what your stepping on, its important to walk with a soft foot, stop often, look lots and listen, deer often travel corridors no more than 10-30 yards into the trees or off feeding area's.

Bumping this thread up because it is full of great tips and observations!!

Thanks Treed! Needed this!

Some good info here. Just scanned through it and saw something about rattling mule deer. This last weekend I decided to try rattling. Got a small 2 point curious and he walked within ten yards from me. Pretty cool.

Do Mule deer in areas where there are no open alpine green bowls, still head to the highest elevation in the area generally? Even if it is just a timbered top, but the highest timbered area on the mountain? Ive only hunted them in open alpine in sepemtber but was curious to see what people think. I’m always amazed at how well they can traverse steep rocks just like sheep. Makes me think that the steeper the timbered mountain side, the better for them.

I am an impatient person by nature so the way I stay focused when I hunt is to count my steps.....every area I am stalking through gets an ongoing rating of how many paces I am allowed before I must stop and do a full look around.....30 is my absolute max even when I am walking down a road to get somewhere...I am often in the 5-10 range adjusting for conditions...... thumb on the safety and 1 pace at a time is when the heart starts to beat faster and you feel alive!

Yes they do like high timber.
    Hunting the promised land

Look for 40 watt light bulb..rimrockers lick their nose to keep it efficient..that freshly licked nose shines like a 40 watt bulb..
    Srupp