Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chuckar Hunt

Re: Chuckar Hunt

Nice to see other Drahthaars out there. We were out sunday and brought a couple home. GWP is the American name for our breed because they can't pronounce it. Griffin is black/white and full of P & V. Chukar Schnitzel with roasted squash soup and corn bread. Doesn't get much better.
    Tight Lines

Griffin definitely has personality

Hey RebuiltMosin, we may as well tell everyone he is also known as "knob" in an endearing tone of course. He does point, pinned down a chukar sunday before last, I unfortunatley did not do my part. Only bird that held tight all day. They were flushing out in front of Pika and Griffin by 20+ yds. This is my first pointer and I am learning by the seat of my pants. Looks like my dog is capable, now it is up to me. Judging by the tracks, someone else had been there the day before. All in all a great day and two birds made a great dinner for my wife and I.
    Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by phearless View Post
    Hey RebuiltMosin, we may as well tell everyone he is also known as "knob" in an endearing tone of course. He does point, pinned down a chukar sunday before last, I unfortunatley did not do my part. Only bird that held tight all day. They were flushing out in front of Pika and Griffin by 20+ yds. This is my first pointer and I am learning by the seat of my pants. Looks like my dog is capable, now it is up to me. Judging by the tracks, someone else had been there the day before. All in all a great day and two birds made a great dinner for my wife and I.
    Chuckar (IMHO) is one of the best damn eating birds there is. Motivating to say the least! The chukar I have been on this season have not held at all. Seems they start to hold more with snow on the ground. .... oh and the nickname for my DD is "knucklehead" or "knuckles" .... in an endearing tone of course
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Chuckars are a hoot, with my bad ankle I don't hunt them much now but I used to love it. I know they are a pointing dogs meat and potatoes but when they wont hold a flushing dog can beat the crap out of them I remember one of the last shoots we were on, we met a couple of hunters with Shorthairs coming out. They had two birds and were telling us how the birds were frustrating their dogs with the sit and run tactic. We put the Springers down and after about 4 hrs came back with a 2 man limit. This definitely is not the norm and the pointers usually outgun the flushers on covey birds but when it works it works big time. Great eating as well. We like the while breasts in a sweet Thai sauce. MMMMMM
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Brad, Gunnar's mother and her chukars from today, the last day of our chukar season. She got to go today as Gage went out twice this weekend. Lee

Lee
    VDD-GNA
    Vom Okanogan-Flusstal Drahthaars

Pointing in the frost...

Lee
    VDD-GNA

Terrific Lee !!!
    SO GOOD to see "momma" back at it. Any side effects ? I sure wish we had as lengthy a season as you folks do down there. I'm "jonesing" for October already! Been following along on some of your posts ... you boys have been on some birds this year - jealous! .... and Dakota Pheasant! .... isn't fair.
    Hope you've been making your "chukar poppers" .... saw the pics and damn they looked tasty! Big Rod and super dog Carlo just got back from Oregon - and had a hell of a good hunt .... get him to fill you in.
    .... and if I haven't thanked you recently for one hell of a pup .... thank you AGAIN. What a ride .... belly laughing all the way up and all the way down the friggin mountain with this loveable knucklehead
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Yupp, I couldn't be happier with my boy Carlo, after a 10 day hunt in Oregon. 2 days in, the lightbulb goes on and he gets the picture and scents and moves in to staunchly point many, Chukars, Huns and Ruffed Grouse. The climbing was intensive and invigorating to say the least and I cannot begin to say how incredible these Drahthaars perform in the diverse terrain that these birds hang out in. Through the intensive competitive testings we have asked these dogs to perform so many different disciplines from forest, field, and water and now we ask them to abandon many of their taught and instinctive urges and concentrate on the immediate task with these skittish Chukars, and they do. It just boggles the mind how these versatile hunting dogs just change gears. Like the "SLAPPER', said, WHAT A RIDE............................
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Country like this?

Lee
    VDD-GNA