Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuckar Hunt

Re: Chuckar Hunt

Nice work Big Slappa. I tried a few weekends ago north of lillooet. No birds. Might have to wait until next year. I am going to order the boots asap though. I ended up just working the old roads through the sage where the cactus hadn't grown.

Cut my shotgunning teeth on chukars. Absolutely my favorite upland bird hunt. Lots of excercise and challenging wingshooting. Shotgunning diesn't get any better.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Cut my shotgunning teeth on chukars. Absolutely my favorite upland bird hunt. Lots of excercise and challenging wingshooting. Shotgunning diesn't get any better.
    I think we're on the same page Bridger ... doesn't get any better.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Big Slapper - absolutely love the pics of your GWP!! It is amazing to see another GWP with a beautiful face and short hair like a GSP. You and I both lucked out in my opinion. Congrats on the birds, I am sure you worked for them! Did Gunnar point any of the birds? and were the birds holding?Brez - I too have the Lewis boots and they are actually a really good product. They stay on the dog and cactus sont stick to them. Make sure you put a wrap of "vet wrap" on your dogs leg before you duct tape the top of the boots to secure them to the leg. Be careful when you purchase, make sure you measure your dogs paws. I ordered a large and my dog is only 45 lbs and boots fit really snug on the back paws.

Quote Originally Posted by CBH View Post
    Big Slapper - absolutely love the pics of your GWP!! It is amazing to see another GWP with a beautiful face and short hair like a GSP. You and I both lucked out in my opinion. Congrats on the birds, I am sure you worked for them! Did Gunnar point any of the birds? and were the birds holding?Brez - I too have the Lewis boots and they are actually a really good product. They stay on the dog and cactus sont stick to them. Make sure you put a wrap of "vet wrap" on your dogs leg before you duct tape the top of the boots to secure them to the leg. Be careful when you purchase, make sure you measure your dogs paws. I ordered a large and my dog is only 45 lbs and boots fit really snug on the back paws.
    Good point CBH ... I have several sets of L and XL boots. Large for his rear paws and XL for his front. And yes, vet wrap prior to taping .... I use the clear stretchy hockey tape first with one wrap of sticky med tape to finish it off. Oh ... and CBH, pup is a Deutsch Drahthaar
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

CBH .... Forgot your two questions. We got on 4 coveys and Gunnar pointed two and bumped two. The points were short lived though as the birds were active quickly - some launching immediately and others running and taking flight a ways out. Damn tough birds to get a bead on as you never can tell what they are going to do! Two of the coveys we had a second shot at as they landed and gathered a few hundred yards away from where we first bumped them - tough though as they ran another 50 yards or so unseen.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    CBH .... Forgot your two questions. We got on 4 coveys and Gunnar pointed two and bumped two. The points were short lived though as the birds were active quickly - some launching immediately and others running and taking flight a ways out. Damn tough birds to get a bead on as you never can tell what they are going to do! Two of the coveys we had a second shot at as they landed and gathered a few hundred yards away from where we first bumped them - tough though as they ran another 50 yards or so unseen.
    Nice Beretta
    Mutt

Hey on second look with the straight stock and all I think I made a boo boo it must be a Browning.
    love O/U s especially how you are using yours

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt58 View Post
    Hey on second look with the straight stock and all I think I made a boo boo it must be a Browning.
    love O/U s especially how you are using yours
    Browning B25 FN / stock made by Gernot Walther (Germany)
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Thanks guys.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"