Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuckar Hunt

Chuckar Hunt

Such a diverse province we live in ... where in the morning one can be calling in moose, and in the afternoon, roaming the cactus and sage dotted sidehills for chukar. This weekend I took the opportunity to do just this. For those chukar fanatics, you know how much work can go into these wily birds - the past few days was no different. Up, down, across ... picking cactus out of the seat of my pants ... into another ravine, up on to the next ridge and back down into another ravine ...trying to keep pace with my Drahthaar Gunnar, who is certainly not thinking about the 240lbs his master is carrying! 3 evening hunts produced 4 coveys, the smallest being 4 birds and the largest a dozen or more. We managed to put 4 on the ground (should have had more but DAMN they are quick). Enough for a good feed, and I have to say ... chucker, IMHO, has to be one of the finest eating birds I've had. And yes, Gunnar shared in the cooked spoils ... and BTW - no luck on the morning moose hunts damnit!
    I have attached a few pictures below:

Gunnar, booted up and ready to go

Taking a breather at the fenceline

Senior Browning and the first bird down
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chuckar Hunt

Gunnar was sensational with 3 classic retrieves and an amazing blind retrieve off a double

The Browning B25 FN ...where its meant to be

One tired pup !
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

thats awesome iv always wanted to try hunting for chukar just not sure how

... and to The King, go the spoils ....
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

I'd love to hunt chuckers, how do you prevent snake bites to yourself and your dog ?

Quote Originally Posted by one horn buck View Post
    I'd love to hunt chuckers, how do you prevent snake bites to yourself and your dog ?
    I'm no expert One Horn ... still learning on the job. We've not come across any snakes YET, but I suppose it's just a matter of time. I suspect my Draht will rely on his instincts (although methodical, he is quite cantankerous in the field, so he could get surprised). He does wear a vest for the most part so that may be of some help. As for me ... I wear the Meindl Upland boots (high fit/10" tops) and usually filson chaps or upland pants (jeans) with the burr protection sewed in. May offer some relief? .... the obvious though, is to stay the hell away from the snakes!
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by one horn buck View Post
    With the cold weather, they should be in hiding.
    BigSlapper, how does your dog like the boots and what kind are they? I've been going over there the last few years and my dogs get full of cacti so I haven't been trying for chukars. Did Gunnar take a while to get used to them?.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

BigSlapper, how does your dog like the boots and what kind are they? I've been going over there the last few years and my dogs get full of cacti so I haven't been trying for chukars. Did Gunnar take a while to get used to them?.[/QUOTE]

Brez, the boots are "Lewis Boots" and the only ones he does not break down. They are tough and ideal for the cactus/sage terrain (they offer vented for the warmer months and non-vented for snowy season). No problems with cacti yet. His adjustment period to them was ... oh .... about 45 seconds. Funny video the first time in boots though! ... damn funny.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by ru rancher View Post
    thats awesome iv always wanted to try hunting for chukar just not sure how
    Read, research, chat ..... and just get out there! I'm learning on the job
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Thanks a bunch BS (can I say that?). They'll be on Tucker's Christmas list. Congrats on a great day in the field. You are right - it doesn't get any better than this. I have to pinch myself from time to time. I (we - dog and I) was in the Okanagan for pheasant and had a couple of nice 4X4 muleys (with stickers) run along side my truck for a while when I left camp one morning. Didn't have time for a photo but it would have been a good one.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"