Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail Regulations in Region 8

Whitetail Regulations in Region 8

There is a heated debate about whitetail Regs in Region 8 on the Facebook site BC Hunting and Fishing. Specifically about the month long Doe season and the general health of the Whitetail population.

Some of the issues that are being debated are:
    Whitetail and Mule deer populations in the Boundary area.
    Hunting forecasts listed in various leading hunting magazines.
    Buck/Doe ratio.
    A Whitetail doe season when many active hunters say the Whitetail population is down.

In an effort to consolidate experienced hunter knowledge and provide accurate advice to M.O.E. Wildlife policy I am asking for your honest opinion. Sharing your recent experiences as well as your past knowledge is pertinent for future management decisions.

My experience was the Whitetail population is significantly down and the Mule deer population is up in the southern sections of MU's 8-1, 8-12, and 8-14. I have successfully hunted these areas for 40 years harvesting many quality bucks and a couple of dry does when the population warranted it. We covered many areas which included Boundary Creek, Wallace Creek, Christian Valley, Anarchist Mountain, Rock Mountain, Ingram Creek, Nicolson Creek, Meyers Creek, Johnstone Creek, Bauldy Mountain, Sidley Meadows, Henderson Creek, Kelly River, Wadell Creek, Beaverdell, and KettleRiver East. We saw MANY Mule deer and few Whitetail at all elevations and all locations. Many of these location's deer populations are either predominantly Whitetail or are both species. I harvested a larger Mule deer buck on Rock Mountain FSR. A location that I have harvested 9 Whitetail bucks and only 1 other Mule deer buck over the years. I only saw a one Whitetail doe and fawn Vs over 50 Mule deer in the area including 13 Mule deer bucks.

Questions:
    - is the Whitetail population stable, increasing, decreasing (and in what specific MU's)?
    - is the Whitetail Doe season beneficial, ethical, detrimental, irrelevant?
    - what is effecting Whitetail populations and where are the effects most seen?
    - is the Mule deer population stable, increasing, decreasing (and in what specific MU's)?
    - what is effecting Mule deer populations and where are the effects most seen?
    Last edited by Fish Hound; 10-29-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Tight lines, straight shootin', bloody hands. What else is there?
    <*((((><

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Whitetail Regulations in Region 8

I hunt in 8-24, 8-25, and 8-26 and I think the whitetail population is way down. The doe season should only be opened in specific areas (eg. Cherryville) where there is loads and loads of does. Around here the only whitetails left are the ones safe in town or on private land.
    SHIT HAPPENS! Usually when the big one decides to show himself!

Ive been hunting 8-10 and surounding regions for 35ish years and whitetails are definetly as low as I have ever seen. Mulies are very strong. Unless there is a worry about desease or something and the want they numbers down I just dont get the doe season. Makes no sense when the population is low to start with.
    Last edited by twinpeaks3; 10-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.

When I was up in region 8 elk hunting I was literally tripping over the frigging things,seen four bucks in one morning and lots of does,was maybe a mile off the roads.Didnt see any near the roads but away from the roads there was lots of them,only seen one muley which was a doe,usually the area I hunt is full of muley and the rare whitetail seemed the opposite this year.

WT population appears stable to increasing. Does have definitely changed tactics and habitats since the GOS was brought in a few years back. They are much more weary...... Trail cams don't lie.
    wolf pops have sky rocketed in this neck of the woods, making for further skiddish deer.......again trail cams don't lie.

MD pops are stable from what I have witnesses over past decade. The conservative hunting season is not an issue, with does on LEH and a buck season closing on oct. 31......poor habitat from fire suppression and increased WT and predator numbers has caused MD numbers to remain idle. Buck-doe ratios seem fine with lots of young bucks seen, mature bucks don't come out to play much in the time of the current season.

"Is the whitetail Doe season beneficial, ethical, detrimental, irrelevant"
    Yes,yes,no,no

I don't spend as much time in the area although I went back last year for a week to 8-12 and only saw 7 deer 2 of which were bucks. Use to see about 10 a day with up to 50. I really noticed that you see very few from the comforts of the truck. The areas I hunt were good 10 years ago and now seem to just hold local deer. I am sure there are still lots you just have to work a little harder now. I assume we now have a better buck too doe ratio. My favourite hunt of the year.

Was up in 8-12 last year. Not much for whitetails until the snow hit and got them moving around.

Here we go again....another thread where hunters and only hunters are to blame for any "Preseived" population decline........

Why do hunters always blame hunters when things are not "What they were last time I was here"??

It amazes me that we still blame each other.......

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!