Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to survive a wolf attack

Re: How to survive a wolf attack

The best defence is a good offence!!

Raise your arms and wave them in the air to make yourself appear large, use a loud firm voice and try to convince the animals you are a threat, not prey.
    I don't think this can be overstated. If you can convince any predator that you are a wild, ferocious animal just like them, they are much more likely to f*ck off. Having anything in your hand(s) to swing at them just makes it that much more convincing.

Another thing that would be useful would be to study canine anatomy. Well-placed kicks and punches in the areas not protected by bone can be a significant deterrent for any dog.

I have read that another tactic that has proven useful in dog attacks is to wait till they attempt to bite your hand and then drive your hand down their throat as hard as you can, which may buy you time to deliver a powerful blow to areas of soft tissue, or drive a knife into their chest, or ...whatever it takes...

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Hot lead is the solution to a wolf attack.
    For us hunters, it sure is. What about the scenario where someone is unarmed, or only has a knife?

Funny I don't see the option of climbing a tree in there anywhere... Last I heard dogs don't climb trees...

When they open the mouth to bite you grab the tongue lol. They don't wanna bite that...and if you happen to rip it, they will be less inclined to use it.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    And of course, slinging as much lead at them, as fast as possible, also works well in discouraging wolves! It also saves the lives of the animals we hunt...
    haha.
    save it to kill it another day.
    funny how it's awesome for us to kill deer but how dare a wolf.
    man hates competition.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by icmod20 View Post
    Have a defensive plan/strategies in place for a possible dangerous encounter with a predatorial species, and practice with it. Apply the principles of good situational awareness, and enjoy your day. The guidelines look like they were drawn up in a grade school classroom.
    Have to agree, especially "drawn up in a grade school classroom"
    Anyone taking dogs along into the woods where there are likely to be predators has to be aware that their dog(s) will be the most likely target. If you're going to allow your dog to run off ahead of you etc, you had better be able to command it to go away from you because most dogs will run straight back to you if they get in trouble, bringing that trouble with them. There have been many such incidents, and even with range cattle.

Taking my dog for a walk and tell him not to have a piss, good luck on that????

if you do your best to side step a wolf and walk away and the fight is on anyway , FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE! your odds of survival are tiny but not impossible . if a wolf attack is a real concern you have , make sure you carry a fixed blade knife 4-6" blade. maybe even 2 . knives are a last resort obviously.

I like number 6 - curl up in a fetal position...

Then number 7 would be, now let them eat you...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool