Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to survive a wolf attack

How to survive a wolf attack

Reading some threads on wolves, I thought this may be handy for those who have never encountered wolves.

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Wolf-Attack

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to survive a wolf attack

How to Survive a Wolf Attack

Edited by Cristinamarina, Maluniu, Aroraadit, Jack Herrick and 14 others
    Wolves will attack almost anything in a pack including humans, even if it's not necessary for food as they are known for surplus killing. Here are some steps to ensure your survival in case you are unlucky enough to encounter them.
    Edit Steps

1. If you see the wolf before it sees you, walk away silently. You don't want the wolf to see you.
      2. Remember, where there's one wolf, there are usually 2 or 3 more around.
      3. If the wolf sees you, back away slowly. Avoid eye contact! The wolf sees eye contact as a challenge.
      4. If the wolf chases you, don't run. Wolves are faster than you.
      5. If you choose to attempt to escape, keep the wolves in front of you not at your back for this will cause predatory instincts to kick in.
      6. If the wolf attacks, curl up in a fetal position with your arms blocking your neck so they don't get a hold of any extremities.
      7. To defend yourself, pepper spray, a Taser, or a sharp object are good means of self defense. If you lack these items a wolf's snout and nose are very sensitive and can be badly damaged if you hit hard enough.
      8. If in a group, make sure to keep all children and badly injured in the center of the group for they will be the ones targeted most if wolves are attempting to hunt you. Also do not break the group up for that is what the wolves are hoping for.
      9. If you are hiking with your dog in wolf territory, keep them in your sight, pick up their poop, keep them quiet and encourage them NOT to pee. All of these will attract wolves and they will view you and your dog as intruders, causing them to attack.
      10. Don't treat the wolf as if it were a dog. Rottweilers have a bite force of 328 lbs. per square inch. Wolves have a bite force of 406 lbs. per square

EditTips

• They will rarely attempt to attack you head on when alone and will avoid you altogether if you're tall enough.
    • Wolves can be easily distracted by food. Throw some if the wolf chases you.
    • When defending yourself aim for their face.
    • Never, EVER under any circumstances be friendly with them - they are vicious predators.
    • Tell the authorities if you see threatening wolf activity in your area.
    • Wolves are powerful predators, think of them as very large powerful dogs. Dogs can be subdued by a large human relatively easily via kicking or trauma to the facial area. Same with wolves. A single, large human verses a single average sized wolf will almost always lead to the wolf fleeing. Packs are what you need to avoid, this is relatively easy by increasing your size and shouting loudly. Never run, ever. It won't end well. Hold your ground in a group and keep children in the middle. Use anything and throw objects to break up the cohesian of an aggressive pack. Very few confrontations with wolves will lead to death as it is easy to discourage them....
    • If wolves are trying to attack you, don't run! Wolves WANT their prey to run because they know that you can't fight back while your running. They will try to scare you into running, but don't do it.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

Warnings

• You can't outrun a Wolf let alone a pack, so don't try it.
    • Never feel sympathetic when you have no choice but to defend yourself, this is your life and the life of others with you you're protecting, not theirs.
    • In groups they are a force to be reckoned with, don't be a hero.
    • Never hide from them, as their sense of smell allows them to track your scent.
    • Avoid them at all costs.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”―Oscar Wilde

I have thrown rocks at a pack of wolves and they took off. Also yelled at a couple, and they also took off.

Wolf attacks are inredibly rare. Though I think we are approaching the top of the predator cycle, and I suspect there might be some starving/desperate ones in a couple of years, so it is a good time to think about it. You never know what a rabid or sick one might do. Though I think in Alaska and Canada combined, there have only been 39 cases of wolves "acting aggressively" towards humans. Seems they would rather starve than eat us... kind of offended.

Or just go on about your business because you have a way better chance of getting struck by lightning then attacked by wolves.

Kill them with your bare hands if you have to. Go Cro-Magnon on them!

(if it ever happens, that is )

And of course, slinging as much lead at them, as fast as possible, also works well in discouraging wolves! It also saves the lives of the animals we hunt...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Wolf attacks are inredibly rare. Though I think we are approaching the top of the predator cycle, and I suspect there might be some starving/desperate ones in a couple of years, so it is a good time to think about it. You never know what a rabid or sick one might do. Though I think in Alaska and Canada combined, there have only been 39 cases of wolves "acting aggressively" towards humans. Seems they would rather starve than eat us... kind of offended.
    From a report circulated yesterday:

Close Call - Wolf Pack Encounter Location: Near Merritt BC, Lower Michael Road, BCTS ChartDate of Incident: 15/10/2013
    Details of Incident: Forest Worker had just started a road traverse and was approximately 100m from truck when at least 5 aggressive wolves came within 3m of her. She called her dogs and reached for her bear spray. One of her dogs stayed with her while the other barked and started fighting with the wolves. She went to the truck with the one dog and called for help on the local radio channel on her handheld radio. When she got to the truck she called the dog that had been defending her and it came. It had sustained major injuries and had to be put down. The worker was not physically injured.
    Recommended Preventative Actions:
     Raise your arms and wave them in the air to make yourself appear large, use a loud firm voice and try to convince the animals you are a threat, not prey.
     Back away slowly and do not turn your back on the wolves.
     Make noise, throw sticks and rocks at the wolves.
     Use your bear mace if they come close enough.
     Call for help on the radio and let someone know where you are.
     Do up an incident report and discuss with crew

Hot lead is the solution to a wolf attack.