PDA

View Full Version : Centerpins?

~T-BONE~
01-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Thinking of switching up my gear for drift fishing? Wondering what would be some of the disadvantages of using a Centerpin reel as apposed to a conventional Levelwind? Maintenance? Easier use? Longevity compared to the Levelwinds? Whats a descent Centerpin worth without spending the big $$$$$$!!

Browningmirage
01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Centrepins are awesome. I have the Rushton 425, got mine for 169.00, when it was regular 300.00 (at every other place i looked). If you go with the centrepin, it is a more traditional reel, and easy to fix on the river.

Above all the big difference is its you and the fish, with nothing but a big dragless reel and rod between you. It takes more skill to use, and you feel good when you do use it.

Disadvantage: you cant cast as far as easily, but most distances are not unreasonable. If other people can reach them, then so can you with the proper amount of practice. It can be discouraging at first, but with practice and a little instruction, it is a million times better than a levelwind.

Another advantage, lots of people dont know how to use them, so you wont have to loan it out ever, or have to worry about your kids (if you have any) taking it out.

take a look at the rushton, most fishing stores have them, they are a good reel and wont break the pocket book.

Dirty
01-25-2007, 03:22 PM
You can get a good used centerpin for $200.00 on average. Certain reels can be found for higher prices than others. Avons and JW Young reels are generally less expensive as there is a lot of the around. The avons work good and parts can be found fairly easily. The durability of the reel will depend on the user. If you buy a new centerpin you can easily expect it to be handed down to you kids/grandkids whatever if you look after it properly. If you never clean it, abuse it, throw it around it will diminish the life of the reel. In addition, if you fall on it really hard it will throw it outta whack and not spin right. If I was getting a brand new reel I would like at Milner Kingfishers or Islander Steelheaders. It is like a good gun or good scope you definitely get what you pay for. There are exceptions though like garage sales and pawn shops :smile: . You will definitely like it, once you start you won't stop fishing with a centerpin.

steel_ram
01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
The only disadvantages I've ever realized is line retrieval. Lots of cranking!

and

If you want to try a spoon once in a while, centre pins don't work all that well.

Silent Wolf
01-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Well I live and breath Pin Fishing that is the only way I will fish in the rivers.

I can cast mine further then guys chucking with baitcasters the only down fall is yes bring in the line a lot slower, but you get a better drift with a pin reel. I cast everything with mine from spinners to spoon to guts, no problem at all, as they say pratice and you will get better.

One thing with a pin if it a bushing reel (Silex Style) you will need more weight to get the spool to spin.. Bearing reels (Islander Steelheader) you don't need lots of weight. I have never fished with a bearing lots of buddies fish with them....

As for the life of a Pin reel well that is all in how you look after the reel, lube if here and there. Hell I am using a Pin from the '60's and no problem, I have a big Hardy Silex fan, I got a good collection going that I use. The other bushing reel I am using more is one that was made out in the Valley in the Whack to be right, it is an IMW that is no longer made there is only 180 of them out there.

If you are thinking about getting into pin fishing and don't want to spend a lot of $$ look at the Winter Run reel. It is a copy of a Milner/ Silex that is made off shore.

All of my reels are well over the $500.00 mark, I am thinking about a Milner but just don't know yet if I want to drop $750.00 on a reel. The one good thing with a Milner is they are all hand made by John Milner up in Creston BC a BC product.

A web site to look at is www.questoutdoors.net (http://www.questoutdoors.net) there are lots of Pin Headers on there that will help out also. Good luck and let us know if you ever get a pin.

It is good to see more people getting into Pinning as I find it way better fishing, just you and the fish.

SW

Gunner
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I have several Abus and have used them lots,but I much prefer Hardy Reels.I learned on the Silexs in the Sixties,and own and use 5 Super Silexs,from 3 1/2" up to 4 1/4",depending on what size river I am fishing.The 4 1/4 Super is perfect for the Thompson and will cast as far as a 6500C,and is a lot more fun once a fish is hooked.The only Abu I use anymore is my 5000D direct drive,which has burned my thumb more than a few times!Go with the centre pin,and keep some tradition in your fishing.I'have never found them to be less efficient than the level winds!Cheers,Gunner:smile:

BIGHUNTERFISH
01-25-2007, 07:40 PM
I have alot of centrepin reels,and I would recommend a used Avon Royal Supreme you can find an excellent one on ebay for around 180 bucks if you have patience.Silent Wolf if you think your I.M.W is worth 500 bucks your way off base I have 2 ,one with the gold finish and one in silver these reels have the original pouches and have never been fished ,on a great day they would bring about in about 300 bucks each ,nice looking reels but very heavy not my first choice to fish with.And Milner is from Cranbrook not Creston.Also when you buy a centrepin rod dont buy one with a sliding reel seat go with the fixed one.:lol:

~T-BONE~
01-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the replys guys!!!!

Also when you buy a centrepin rod dont buy one with a sliding reel seat go with the fixed one.:lol:

Does it really matter? As I would like to use my bouncing rods! Or is that just your opinion?

Is there a real low quality reel(s) out there that one should be aware of ?

BlacktailStalker
01-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Islander steelheader or silex. The rest just don't compare.

Dirty
01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Do not buy a Winter Run reel they are sh*t.

I am thinking about a Milner but just don't know yet if I want to drop $750.00 on a reel

The Milner Kingfisher can be had at $500.00 at current pricing.The Milner Talisman is $750.00. If you can find a store with stock from the last shipment they may let you pay the old price of $399.00.

You need a centerpin rod to fish a pin properly a levelwind rid will not work very good. You can also use old mooching rods if you are just starting out. Many tackle store have less expensive rods that you can use too. There are Trophy rods and Shimano rods that can be had for about $100.00. Take a look at some fishing websites or the buynsell you can usually find a used one for cheap.

Chinese redneck
02-01-2007, 12:32 AM
What sliding reel seat you talking about bigfishhunter??? you talking aobut the old hardy stayl "W" fitting sliding seat or one of those ugly sliding fixed seat that can be use for both CP and baitcasting???