PDA

View Full Version : Scouting and firearm question

andre66
01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi folks,
i am definitely not a youth but i am a newbie to the world of hunting, no hunting licence yet and i just bought my first rifle. I wanted to ask about scouting an area in the summer and carrying firearms.

Do people bring their rifle along when they are scouting and it is not hunting season? I plan on going out this summer to scout out areas and am unsure about this.

I also want to say this is my favorite site, lots of great info and not a lot of nonsense.
Thanks
Andre
PS- the rifle i just bought is a Marlin 336

Gateholio
01-25-2007, 01:57 PM
It's perfectly legal to do so, as long as you don't shoot anythign wihtout a HL.:lol:

Actually, it's not abad idea to take your rifle, to get you used to packing one around..

todbartell
01-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Id pack it, but dont wear camo or have a deer call hanging around your neck :lol: Buy a hunting license in April anyways, and if stopped, tell them you're scouting and wanting to shoot the odd crow

welcome to HBC and hunting for that matter

BearSniper
01-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Andre66,

My recommendation is spend the $32 bucks on a Hunting licence.

My take on the regs is that if you are a licenced firearm owner, and you are walking around in the bush with a rifle, if stopped by a Conservation Officer, he will correctly assume you are "hunting". Hunting means walking in the bush looking for game. You might have a hard time proving to him you are not hunting. The law is skewed in that it places the burden of proof on the person.

Even though you are just scouting, there are some species you can take in the summer. What if you saw a Coyote and wanted to try a shot ? If you don't have the hunting licence, you just have to watch him. The best part is you don't need to buy a tag for coyotes, skunk, raccoon, rabbits etc.

I 'd say get the licence. Why not ? You're going to get one for fall anyways, might as well be 100% legal and have one in your pocket. Then the C/O can't fault you.

Besides you could take a few Snowshoe Hares and or Raccoons etc as well. As Todd says, you can also shoot the odd Crow.
Good way to practice your aim and skinning an animal.

I always renew my licence right away upon expiry in March. You can hunt spring Bear, Wolf, Coyotes and others. You can hunt predators in the winter-it never ends. You can always go out and practice on Squirrels any time. Great for Squirrel stew.

Better safe than sorry

Best of luck.

hoochie
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I always take a firearm in the bush. Usually a 12g, but I have also taken my hunting rifle for some range practice.
It wouldnt hurt to get your HL in the spring though... it will make things easier of you get checked.

brotherjack
01-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Getting your hunting license is a good way to avoid getting mistaken for a poacher. :)

Derp
03-19-2007, 12:45 PM
[quote=BearSniper]
Besides you could take a few Snowshoe Hares and or Raccoons etc as well. As Todd says, you can also shoot the odd Crow.
Good way to practice your aim and skinning an animal.

I always renew my licence right away upon expiry in March. You can hunt spring Bear, Wolf, Coyotes and others. You can hunt predators in the winter-it never ends. You can always go out and practice on Squirrels any time. Great for Squirrel stew.
[quote]

I have a small question. People eat squirrels? and hunting bears, wolves, cayotes, racoons are used for skins/taxidermy right?

Gateholio
03-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I've eaten squill. It can be good, but the little ones around here don't have alot of meat on them...

Bear requires that meat be recovered, there is no recovery regs with wolves or yotes.

Mr. Dean
03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Allways take a gun on a hike/scout.

CanAm500
03-19-2007, 01:37 PM
As the members above have said, get your licence and then take your rifle/shotgun with you.

Welcome to the site andre66!

johnes50
03-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Yup, I ALWAYS carry a firearm in the bush now. I've seen cougar and bears when I didn't expect too, and I heard something tearing up the bush once very close to me for about ten minutes and wasn't armed. Now I always carry a firearm.

Get your license and deer and bear tags ASAP in April and always carry your hunting rifle or shotgun and license with you. That way you don't have to go back again to buy your tags and you will be safe in the bush too if one of those nasty critters shows up in a bad mood. I meant bears, not CO's.:grin: John

wsm
03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
the hunting licence acts as a firearms transport permit. pal only allows you to own the firearm not to transport. you need a hunting licence, or transportaion permit.

CanAm500
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
the hunting licence acts as a firearms transport permit. pal only allows you to own the firearm not to transport. you need a hunting licence, or transportaion permit.

Negative.

Some people own rifles/shotguns without a hunting licence. Does that mean the next door neighbour can go out and buy a nice plinking rifle but cannot take it to the range because he doesnt have a hunting licence. NO!

I could carry a rifle/shotgun in the bush without a hunting licence.

270WIN
03-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Negative.

Some people own rifles/shotguns without a hunting licence. Does that mean the next door neighbour can go out and buy a nice plinking rifle but cannot take it to the range because he doesnt have a hunting licence. NO!

I could carry a rifle/shotgun in the bush without a hunting licence.

icpainballer if you read wsm post he said you need a hunting licence or a transportation licence and is is 100 % right as you need one or the other to transport your firearms

CanAm500
03-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Lets break it down.

the hunting licence acts as a firearms transport permit

The hunting licence acts as a carry permit. It says that right on the BC Hunting Synopsis.

pal only allows you to own the firearm not to transport

PAL allows you to own and to transport non-restricted firearms. If it didnt we would all need ATT's to transport our hunting rifles/shotguns to the range.

you need a hunting licence, or transportaion permit

Yes, you do need a hunting licence in order to hunt (buy tags and harvest game) and carry a firearm while hunting.
You could (hypatheticaly, sp?) speaking take a shotgun with you on the summer fishing trip to a river that is heavily populated with grizzly's without a hunting licence.

If im wrong on any of this please post a link that says otherwise.

BCLongshot
03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
If you want to be LEGAL you better know the rules.

I'll just say this "Authorized to transport"

BCLongshot
03-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Ya wsm got your PM.

EXACTLY

Gateholio
03-19-2007, 09:36 PM
You need a PAL to purchase, own, and transport any firearm.

You need an ATT to transport a Restricted firearm.

You need a hunting licence to hunt. You don't need a hunting lience if you don't intend to hunt.