PDA

View Full Version : Coyote pelts worth anything?

StoneHorse
10-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I am new to varmint/predator hunting. I would like to try my luck at coyote hunting and I am wondering if coyote pelts are worth anything. If they are, who buys them? Also, I would appreciate any tips on hunting coyote. I will be using a bolt action 243 Win and I am located in the Fraser Valley. Thanks.

bone-collector
10-16-2004, 06:05 PM
call your local taxidermists , there the best bet, sometimes you get 30 bucks a pelt in the winter when there prime, if you can find a trapper to deal with you may get a bit mose, depending on demand for the fur , I think it was last winter they hit $55 a peice for a trapper , so was worth dealing with them , hope that helps you a bit

StoneHorse
10-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Every tip helps, thanks bone-collector.

bone-collector
10-16-2004, 06:11 PM
oh and wolves are worth good cash to the right taxidermist and you get to save a moose or deer by shooting them :wink:

TomTalker
10-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Well Stonehorse pelts are comiming up in price just a bit BUT that .243 is gonna shake some of the hair of them. If your hunting hides try to make shots under the chin as the coyote faces you. That's of course not always an option. Side shots with that caliber sometimes take the whole rib cage out on the oposite side. You can stitch them up but it drops the value just a bit/tt

bone-collector
10-16-2004, 07:36 PM
good advice Tom , I wasnt thinking on that , then I reload barnes X in almost everything we shoot (Barnes dosnt make X buckshot yet :lol: ) but yes Tom is right a big hole ruins cash , ear shots are nice as well if you can get 1 , but try a barnes X or a failsafe if you reload, they dont explode on inpact and carry a fine pinhole right through from my past experiences , again good luck

oh and if you need a good varmint call maybe talk nice to tom and see what stock he has for sale, he handmakes some of the nicest calls I have ever seen thats for dam sure :wink:

StoneHorse
10-16-2004, 10:00 PM
TomTalker, I was thinking of handloading some .243 cal 58 grain or 65 grain Hornady V-Max bullets. I would hope they would not create a exit wound. Perhaps you or someone else can comment on these bullets.

TomTalker
10-17-2004, 07:06 AM
I load the 58's with 44gr Varget and the 65's with 43. Both are very acurate bullets and a good choice. You may get exit wounds sometimes and some times not.
I shot a half grown pup once with the lighter bullet on the run across a field. I hit him in the hip and blew his leg right of so it hung by a thread of skin. It spun him a 360 and he was back up and headed for the trees on three legs. I finished him with another in the ribs that didn't exit. I've had plenty of no exits with these bullets but I've also had some blowaparts. Excellent acurracy out to 400 and with practice they can hit well beyond that on a sit still target with power to spare.
Nuther good bullet choice is the 85 Sierra hpbt. /tt

StoneHorse
10-17-2004, 09:30 AM
TomTalker, Good to see that I am on the right track in regards to bullet selection. Do you have any favorite calls? Also, if you don't mind telling me, what area of BC are you located?

Farmer
10-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Stonehorse, if you are planning to hunt coyotes in the valley, the hides won't be worth much if anything at all. Too many crosses with dogs and thin hair. We shoot a few around the farm and some of the hides are very rough. It does provide good fun though. Good luck.
Farmer.

bone-collector
10-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Tom is from Ontario , I live in the north central part known as the lakes district :)

StoneHorse
10-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Tom is from Ontario , I live in the north central part known as the lakes district :) I am not sure were the lakes district is. Is that located in the Omineca region around Fort St James?

StoneHorse
10-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Stonehorse, if you are planning to hunt coyotes in the valley, the hides won't be worth much if anything at all. Too many crosses with dogs and thin hair. We shoot a few around the farm and some of the hides are very rough. It does provide good fun though. Good luck.
Farmer. Thanks for the info. PM sent.

TomTalker
10-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Yup Like bonez says I'm about 2000 miles to the east :wink: Just like ya can't pick your relatives when yer born ya can't help where they born ya :grin:
Any how I use open reed calls because they don't freeze up. I use closed reeds too but on warmer days. The closed reeds are good for close range while an open reed can really belt it out. A jack rabbit is best imitated by an open reed I think. I make my own calls but have a bunch of other custom calls too. Olt 33 and a Knight and Hale closed reed are the only store boughts I have.
Here's a pic of a couple of open reed calls that I made. I tuned them and sent them out to thier new owner just about the same time as I came down with Sars symptpms :-D
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pfdac1d5dd04bdd80b53e7e95dafd64bc/f6be28c5.jpg

StoneHorse
10-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I am not sure were the lakes district is. Is that located in the Omineca region around Fort St James? I have answered my own question. The net is a wonderful tool.

StoneHorse
10-17-2004, 08:11 PM
TomTalker, Thanks for sharing your expertise. I will purchase a couple of calls and try them out. There are coyotes in the fields just a half a click away from my house. I can't shoot them do to bylaws but I can try and call them.

bone-collector
10-17-2004, 09:46 PM
no the lakes district is about 2 hour drive from fort st james, about 140kms west of vanderhoof is were it starts , home of 3000 miles of lakes :)

TomTalker
10-18-2004, 05:36 AM
Stonehorse those coyotes will make for good practice but if they bust you once by a getting a wiff or a look at you it'll be over and they will be wise to calling. tt

3kills
10-18-2004, 08:35 AM
tom do u sell ur calls???

StoneHorse
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Stonehorse those coyotes will make for good practice but if they bust you once by a getting a wiff or a look at you it'll be over and they will be wise to calling. tt Sounds like fun! Practice is what I need.

TomTalker
10-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Stonehorse Those will be the smartest coyotes around when yer done with them :mrgreen:
3k I'm cosidering selling a few but I usually don't make them up in advance. I generaly wait till somebody wants one then make it special for the individual.signed and numbered. I usually swap for other custom calls etc and heck last night on PM chat I swaped a pair for a Colorado coyote tanned with the paws on :mrgreen:
Wife is bithchin all the time at me for not selling them to pay the hydro I spend making them. Oh well that gives er something to bitch about, it could be worse. However as I type this the finish is drying on a pair of calls that are going to a fellow on another forum ;) and they will be sold well hopefully anyway/tt

3kills
10-19-2004, 09:17 AM
how much do u charge for them when u usually sell them?? if u dont mind me asking...

TomTalker
10-19-2004, 10:10 AM
3Ks not sure but I think it will depend on the calls themselves such as in what they're made of and type. Don't want to hijack the thread but I'll add a link to some from the past year, Some of the guys here will recognize them.
I noticed further down in the forum an auction for fundraising that I wasn't around for. Can I still throw sumpthin in?/tt
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3232500093

3kills
10-19-2004, 04:40 PM
thanx tom...

Marc
10-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey Tom, we are trying to get the rest of the money from the last auction collected before we start another so we don't lose track of the money.

harv3589
11-24-2004, 10:44 AM
What do you guys think of the new .204 Ruger as a coyote gun?

3kills
11-24-2004, 06:54 PM
i think that would be a really good coyotoe gun IMHO...i was talkin to a budy at the range one day and he had just gotten one and that had amazin accuracy and was tellin the 500 yard gong no problem...