PDA

View Full Version : How Often to Wax Your String?

Bow Walker
01-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Here is what BCY (a maker of string material) says:
Question: Is it necessary to use “special” wax with certain types of bowstring material?
Answer: Not really. There are four main reasons for using wax on a bowstring. 1. To lubricate the fibers and prevent “fiber to fiber” abrasion 2. To help keep the “bundle” of strands together 3. To maintain and extend the life of the string 4. To help prevent water absorption Bowstring material manufacturers normally apply a generous amount of synthetic wax in liquid form, which insures that from its origin the bowstring material is well lubricated inside and out. It is this process which gives the material its basic protection from fiber to fiber abrasion and helps keep the bundle of strands together. Generally the type of wax used would be a good quality standard “tacky” wax. At this stage it would be unusual for the wax to include silicone which is very slick and, particularly in the case of Flemish strings, makes it difficult to convert the bowstring material into a finished bowstring. However, after the string is made, it is recommended that the archer look for a “maintenance” wax that contains some silicone because a wax blended with silicone penetrates the string material very well and keeps the inside fibers lubricated as well as the outside. Wax can be applied with fingers, with a cloth, or with a chamois leather. It should be applied frequently and rubbed well into the string.

Question: Is it okay to wax the serving material on a bowstring?
Answer: Yes, especially if a silicone wax is used because the silicone will penetrate through the serving into the fibers below which are tightly compressed so there will be help in improving durability.

I wax my string when it doesn't feel tacky (waxy). And I agree that a silicone-based wax is best. Actually, I've discovered that rubbing in a silicone wax, such as Black (or White) Lightning, and following it with a harder wax, such as Bohning Seal-tite, lasts a lot longer than either alone. I can't explain why, but it does.

"Rubbing" wax in is important. I have a pair of pigskin driving gloves that I got from Lowe's for $2. These are my waxing gloves. But a scrap of thin leather is fine.

I shoot at least 50 arrows a day, every day, and I wax the bowstring and cables about every two weeks. I last changed them after about 20,000 shots and except for some minor serving separation on one loop they were still in good condition.

This from BCY, one of the biggest string manufacturers in the industry. consider it reliable information.

greybark
01-23-2007, 08:31 PM
8) Hey Bowwalker , The silicone wax sounds good . It should be pointed out that the over vigorous application of a hard wax with a piece of leather can result in excessive heat which may damage your bow string .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

mtnmax
01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Whenever you get the urge!

greybark
01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

J_T
01-23-2007, 09:51 PM
I think I wax before elk season and after. That's just about it for the year. Mostly I find the string holds its wax fine, unless I'm dragging my bow through thick bush in the rain. (elk hunting)

JT