PDA

View Full Version : Legal question-Please help

morris
10-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Moose Question,
Here's the scenario we are heading out tomorrow morning to 5-13a, where a buddy has a LEH moose tag. The other 3 of us were going to hunt spike/fork bulls, but now thats obviously not going to happen. Let's say I take a day trip across the river to 5-02 or 7-08 and happen upon a spike/fork (I know I'm dreamin'!) and evrything comes together and it ends up in the back of the truck. I have obviously punched my tag in an MU with a legal open season. Am I now allowed to take that moose back to my camp in 5-13 to hang? I obviously don't want to run into hassels etc. but what is the legality of this? Obviously the best bet would be to drop it off at a meat locker on the way back to camp but what if that is just not practical? How do I prove that this moose was in fact harvested legally? GPS kill location so that CO could check it out? I welcome your expert advice.....Rich

QnsCowboy
10-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Yes you can take that back to your camp....Your best evidence is the gut pile, as I assume you will dress your moose before you bring it back to camp...make a good referance to where you dress your moose, as obviously the pile may be gone or disturbed...if the CO wants to press the matter, tell him to DNA your gut pile.....

Hope this helps....

Steeleco
10-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey Morris I'm no expert but "whenhttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif" you get your game you could always poke a stick in the ground with flag tape on it and some kind of identifying mark. Take a waypoint just the same. Should the C/O's be of the mind to check your story and the animals have cleaned up your evidance before they get there your not looking good. The stick and tape will be there till a human removes it. Butt covered in my book. Good luck all the same.

I suppose I should have read Qns post better before I posted mine. Oh well great minds think alikehttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gifhttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif

Foxer
10-16-2004, 12:31 AM
If you've cut your tag in a legal area, and it's reasonable that you could get there from where you are, then it shoulndt' be too much of a problem. No law says you have to move it directly home.

I think the advice you got is pretty good.

If you want to be CERTAIN - if there's any kind of cell service in the area check in with the game guy - tell him the scoop and that you're going back to the other area and if he wants to check you out or the gut pile right now he's welcome. he'll probably say no, but no poacher would go thru such an elaborate hoax in most cases, and you offered him a chance, so he'll just say 'forget it'.

10-16-2004, 07:37 AM
The other 3 of us were going to hunt spike/fork bulls, but now thats obviously not going to happen. Let's say I take a day trip across the river to 5-02 or 7-08 and happen upon a spike/fork (I know I'm dreamin'!) and evrything comes together

Why shouldn't it happen? Years ago the MU boundries for 7-08 and 5-13 used to be on the east side of the river, west of the hwy. 7-08 had an openning for calves and 5-13 had a general on bulls. We had the exact senario you have described happen with no problems. As mentioned, being able to show proof of the kill site is sufficent proof usually. We shot calves in 7-08 and hung them in our camp in 5-13.
Since then, the boundry has changed to use the river as the line. Wonder why??