PDA

View Full Version : gear recommendations?

Red
01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm just getting into hunting, so I don't have everything that I need yet. Aside from a rifle what would you recommend as "essential" hunting gear? ie. binoculars, skinning knife, bone saw etc. etc. etc.
I will be doing mostly deer hunts, maybe a moose/elk hunt as well.

Any advice is appreciated!

Red

The Hermit
01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Minimum kit... compass, map of area you are in, binos, two good knives, whistle, extra shells, fire starter and matches, emergency first aid kit, a couple energy bars, drinking water, camo (unless you are only road hunting), and a ten foot length of nylon cord to use draging your deer out. I have all that in a pack that I take even if only going for a ten minute walk off the road.

Nice to have in addition to above... gps, range finder, spotting scope, ATV. :-)

rugeer
01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Buy the best pair of bino's that you can't afford, and learn how to sharpen a knife

NEEHAMA
01-23-2007, 02:45 PM
i gutted a deer in the headlights with a broken beer bottle.

you don't need much my friend.

Leaseman
01-23-2007, 02:59 PM
^^...definately sounds like a story to be told.....

Chuck
01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=NEEHAMA]i gutted a deer in the headlights with a broken beer bottle.

Young and foolish or something awful hungry?

hoochie
01-24-2007, 02:34 AM
i gutted a deer in the headlights with a broken beer bottle.

ahh ha!.. so it was you that thrashed my Christmas display!

Mr. Dean
01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Don't forget the the a$$ wipe!

Seriously, I have found that a shovel of any kind, jack-all, and a small axe to be some of the handiest tools to have around.

Most importantly though; maps and compass with the knowledge of knowing how to use them.

johnes50
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Whereabouts do you live?

I wouldn't go by yourself for a while until you are comfortable with being in the bush and are aware of the dangers you may encounter.

Try to get out with somebody that has experience and that you would trust to be safe and competent. Someone that knows the area you want to hunt. You would learn a lot from them.

And a good basic survival kit such as has been suggested is important. Throw in one of those cheap plastic ponchos and some matches and fire starter too. They can keep you dry in a pinch, which is important on the coast. John

Red
01-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm living in the Vancouver area at present, but I live in the Queen Charlottes for the summer (fishing lodge season).
I have a group of friends that I will be hunting with, all with varying degrees of experience. I've been teamed up with one of the veterans who'll show me the ropes.

I would like to hear the deer in the headlights gutted with a beer bottle story tho...that's gotta be an interesting one.

red