PDA

View Full Version : Looking at top end Bino's

Sitkaspruce
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I will be going to down to work in the Portland Outdoor show and have saved up enough US money to purchase a good pair of bino's. I am looking at Leica, Swarovski, Leupold, Zeiss, Kahles, Minox or any other top end. Price will be up to $1700 us but there is always deals.

I am looking for people's input into why and what they like or dislike about their bino's. The main purpose will be for guiding, glassing mountains for sheep, goats and deer and timber hunting. I am looking at 10x and 40-42 mm objective. I am not looking for 4lbs 15+ power spotting glasses.

Any opinions will be gladly recieved.

Thanks

BCrams
01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Easy.

The Swarovski 10x42 EL is what I would get.

I personally have the Ziess 10x40 Classics.

bigwhiteys
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
The Swarovski 10x42 EL is what I would get.

Swarovski is where I would go too. I have 8x30's which seem to work fine... Nice and compact. My dad handed them down to me after using them for guiding. He now uses a pair of Zeiss 12x60 (monsters)

Just a few days my swaro's were shipped off to swarovski because they started to fog up. The canadian dealer told me that after 10+ years the nitrogen gas needs to be recharged...

He had me send them in and told me to not be surprised if I didn't recognize them when I got them back.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! but knowing their reputation for exceeding expectation I am looking forward to getting them back.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Tack
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi,
The big three, in no particular order are Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica. It really boils down to which you prefer.
Of the other brands I have read good things about Nikon's HG range, Minox, Kahles and the Bausch and Lomb ranges re-labelled by Bushnell.
Depending on your age you may be better served, especially in low light, by going for a 7-8X rather than 10X because of the smaller exit pupil with the higher power - worth thinking about.
Tack

Gateholio
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Easy

Leica 10x42 Ultravid:lol:

Actually, you shoudl try the top end ones at the same time. Different people have different eyes, and what works for one will not necessarily work for another....You are going to get top end binos with Swaro and Leica..just find the one that works for you...

I find the Leicas better for my eyes, they are not too heavy, easy to use and fairly compact.8-)

GoatGuy
01-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Swaro ELs and the Leicas, just what I've liked looking through buddies and clients glasses. I'm trying to get a pair of ELs right now. Both are excellent in first and last light but of course the ELs are a little on the bulky side. Those GEOVID's are pretty neat but definitely not needed.

My Old Man's Zeiss fogged up after 10 yrs of use and my buddies fogged up after his first hunting season. Kind of frustrating looking through a $1000+ glass of milk.

01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Another vote for the EL's........been using them going on the 4th hunting season and each year l appreciate them more.

Kechika
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Liecas are my choice

Fisher-Dude
01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I have Leica 10x42 Trinovids. Best glass I have ever looked through. They are very easy to focus, compact, and have built in eye relief cups for eyeglass wearers. I've had them 10 years with no problems whatsoever. Both of my regular hunting partners have the same binos with no problems, and they love them too.

Ferenc
01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I have both the 10x40 and 8x30 in the ziess Classics and they have been through hell!!!! I will be passing them on to my daughter when she gets old enough to go hunting!!!!Any european optics you choose will be agood choice,keep in mind if you wear glasses many of these optics are user friendly.

Seeadler
01-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Swarovski ELs, don't know how I ever hunted without them.

Triggerman
01-28-2007, 07:43 PM
If you buy the ELs from Swarovkski, you won't ever need another set. If you buy anything else, you will always want them.

I have the 10x42 and they are awesome!

Chinese redneck
01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
I got a pair of 10X42 SLC WB Swarovski.. don't leave home without them....

boatdoc
02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Be careful buy sworos or liecas out side of canada .
One guy i know bought a leica spotting scope on
EBay,when it fogged up they would not honor the waranty,yes it was brand new in the box.The sworo rep told me that unless i bought from one of thier dealers i would not get waranty or service? I love my leicas and my leupolds.

Jetboater
02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
I had a pair of liecas and hated them, tried Zeiss but they feel really really cheap, had a pair of slc and had them stolen, never thought I would need another pair, now I have another pair of slcs and want the ELs badly, great binos just not as comfy as the EL, its either that or a new HS precision mountain rifle?