PDA

View Full Version : Knife sheath

BCKID
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
My hunting buddy gave me a new knife but the sheath is not much good. Anybody know where [lower-mainland] I could get one made?

BCKID
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Oops; I guess that would help EH.

It looks like this pic. 8 in total length, 4 in blade. The sheath looks a little wimpy. Thanks BCKID

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/BCKID/Winchesterknife.jpg

swamper
01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Check with Blacktail. He does excellent work.

Chuck
01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
If you don't like the cordura /ballistic cloth sheath, you might try find a shoe repair shop that works with leather and have them build you a copy but in leather. It'll cost a bit, or you could find a book/source for the info to make your own, if you think you would like to try. It's not difficult and something like putting a jig-saw puzzle together - fussy work, but satisfying. My $0.02

Blacktail
01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
BElieve it or not but that sheath will stand up pretty well to abuse.

That being said,however, I can make up a custom sheath for it but I need the knife to do it.

CHilko21
01-23-2007, 10:33 AM
I can make a sheath as well, but I'm in a different neck of the woods, and I'd need the knife.

BCKID
01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
that sheath will stand up pretty well to abuse.

Yes I'm sure it will stand up alright but I was more concerned about loosing the knife. The sheath only has one small strap with a snap to hold it. I suppose I could just put another strap on.

Blacktail
01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
PM sent:wink:

tuchodi
01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
I am sure Blacktail can comment on this but I have been told never to store your good knives in their leather sheaths as something comes out of the leather and can stain or ruin your knive. Just use the sheath for hunting.

Blacktail
01-24-2007, 08:39 PM
it is not good to store a knive for long term in a leather sheath as the leather picks up moisture and can rust the blade
The leather in my sheaths I make are soaked in neetsfoot oil and will tend to repel the moisture inside and out

Chuck
01-25-2007, 12:30 AM
The leather in my sheaths I make are soaked in neetsfoot oil and will tend to repel the moisture inside and out[/QUOTE]

Does the oil tend to make the leather soft? I was scared to use it because I wanted the sheath as rigid as possible, like store bought. Hence mine are unoiled, just wax rubbed.

Blacktail
01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
the leather I use is around 8 ounce so it is good and stiff being around 1/8" thick
It softens very slightly but still remains quite stiff
I quess "soaked" was the wrong word,I should use "treated"8-)

Ilikebigbucks&Icannotlie
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Try taking it to a shoemaker's store. I knew a guy in Port Alberni who was a boot and shoe repair man, and he was an avid hunter. He could make pretty much anything out of leather, and the quality was second to none.

Farmer
02-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Having lost a good knife or two from having them come out of the sheath while in thick brush,:-( the best place for your knife is in your daypack or fanny pack. Even a sheath with a solid snap can open and lose the knife. That being said , my leatherman has been on my hip for about 3 years every day and has never come out of its sheath. The difference is that the leatherman is completely inside the sheath whereas almost half of the knife is exposed to catch on things.
Just my .02 cents

Gord