PDA

View Full Version : Hassled hunting?

Chuck
01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Have any of you ever been hassled and accused of poaching deer, when you were out after yotes, when deer season was closed and they knew it? I have and didn't like it. So how is a guy supposed to prove he's after coyotes and NOT deer?

Steeleco
01-21-2007, 01:40 AM
I thought there were laws against hastling hunters?? At the very least I'd tell them to call a CO and I'll explain what I'm doing to them and they should have a nice day.

Gus
01-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I've been asked what I've been doing, and when i answered "hunting", I was then asked "what are you doing hunting". As far as I'm concerned its none of their business what i'm doing and if they feel that strongly they can report me. If someone asked in a kind of "whats going on" type of manner, then I will williingly share with them what i am doing, but when they get that confrontational kind of attidude cause they atomatically assume that I'm poaching. well thats just kind of ignorant and I try to pay them no mind.

300H&H
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes I have been. I will start a new thread on it when I calm down. There is no use to call the COs unless the person does damage to your property. I was told that when they call you a poacher or hassle you directly they are breaking no laws. Only when THEY get physical or interfear with you shooting a animal can the COs help. RCMP were no help either. Im still pissed off about the whole thing. It happened in Oct. while hunting moose. :evil:

mark
01-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Never been hasled that way before but heres a couple other situations. Once we just turned our trucklights into a farmers feild at night to see how many deer were out there,(we had no guns camo gear or nothing) some woman stopped in a vehicle and started shouting at us that wecant hunt, she honked the horn to scare the deer. We quickly told her were not hunting, were just having a look! She couldnt stop screaming, you cant hunt here, you cant hunt here! Another time, in chetwynd buddy and i both had our elk and we had our racks strapped onto my snowmobile deck. We were asleep in camp, and first light, some inbred loser from ft. st. john, comes flying into our camp, jumps out of his truck and stares at our racks like hes a CO. I come crawling out of our wall tent and says, what the heck is the prob. here. he proceeds to tell me that my elk is illegal (my #5 points were 2.5 inches long) He says elk tines must be 4 inches long, he writes down lic. plate and says hes phoning it in. Well constructive talk went no-where with this guy, so I ask if you locals are smart enough to read cause i have the regs to prove you wrong! He then got in his truck and stormed off, we never did see a CO.
Pointless harrassment from ignorant people!

Barracuda
01-22-2007, 03:11 AM
alot of single diget IQ locals really resent interlopers:lol:

Elk-Aholic
01-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Ya I have. For the most part though, the people who come and ask you what you are doing are pretty good. When you explain to them your trying to manage the coyote or predator/prey population they usually haven't asked further questions and stopped any hazing they intended on doing. I hunt with any electronic call for yotes and that usually ends any dicussions when I show them the call.

Benthos
01-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I guess I'm on the other side of the fence. Harrassment is one thing, but I don't see a problem with people asking what you are hunting for. There are MANY poachers out there and they will never be caught if the average joe isn't more suspicious and asks a few questions. I don't see the problem. If they ask what you are hunting, telling them you are coyote hunting should end the debate. I mean most people shooting yotes probably aren't using much more than a .243, so you probably aren't hunting moose. but, if i saw somebody who said they were hunting yotes with a 30.06 or 300win mag, it'd be a lot more suspicious and probably report them. i know in the prince george area there is a lot of moose poaching happening, so being suspicious of somebody is never a bad thing in my opinion

just my thoughts

Caveman
01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
if i saw somebody who said they were hunting yotes with a 30.06 or 300win mag, it'd be a lot more suspicious and probably report them. :mad: Benthos, a 30.06 is exactly the gun I'd use for coyote because I don't own a .243, so you reporting me wouldn't be any different than the idiots previously mentioned. I hope you give that another thought. Besides if anyone wants to give me a .243 that moose would just as dead as if I shot it with my 30.06. Unless that moose is laying in my truck or at my feet, I would hope that the people here at least would take me for my word. A persons demeaner or actions are what would get me spider sense tingling, not the cannon he packs. Just my two cents and nothing personal Benthos :)

stixnstones
01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
i hunted bowen island a couple of years ago and was followed into the bush by a man and his dog. They just followed me for a couple of hours untill i got pissed off and left. Long way to go and expensive for that to happen.

Benthos
01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
A persons demeaner or actions are what would get me spider sense tingling, not the cannon he packs.

I agree 100%. i guess i said my point wrong. if one's demeaner was a bit strange, and they were carrying a big firearm, i'd definitely be suspicious. it is understandable that not everybody can afford a varmint rig, so use their big gun instead.

as mentioned, poaching is an issue. everybody needs to be aware of this and keep their eyes and ears open. if that means somebody being a bit overly suspicious, i don't see a problem and actually welcome it. that is different from some PETA wannabe being a total jerk and harrassing somebody just because they are hunting

Caveman
01-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I'd rather someone take down my license plate # if they had a concern rather than the norm of not getting involved or ignoring an offence. I'd gladly answer a question or two rather than hear some dirtbag got away slaughtering a group of moose because no one wanted to get involed.

Schmaus
01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
if i saw somebody who said they were hunting yotes with a 30.06 or 300win mag, it'd be a lot more suspicious and probably report them

I think that it is sensless conclusions like this that take up so much of our too few and too far between game wardens time. I think that people should lay off on jumping to conclusions and look more at facts or actual evidence.

BearSniper
01-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes its happened to me. Mostly on trails or the edges of lakes or cutblocks.

I always try to be polite and answer their questions. I find , by far, most people are polite to someone packing a rifle or shotgun.

I explain that they are correct, Deer season is over and that I'm either hunting coyotes, bobcats, or squirrels.

One tactic I use is to remind them that they are in Bear and Cougar territory, and that with the recent amount of attacks against humans, if they stop to think about it, wouldn't they perhaps want a hunter in the bush able to defend them and shoot off a bear ?

If they get a little insulting or cheeky, I'll remind them that I am particpating in a licened activity authorized by Canadian Law, and that
if they choose to continue to harrass or question me , I may decide to call my lawyer and file a lawsuit for interfering with my constitutional rights, which includes life and liberty. This doesn't happen very often but it sure shuts them up.

I might also remind them that their Europen ancestors didn't mind our Native brothers hunting deer in this land 150 years ago when they came here !

But above all, its important, I beleive, to be polite and create a good impression. I'll also inform them that North America has over 60 million deer and that 300 people a year are killed in deer vehicle collisions. A little education goes along way to thwart ignorance.

But you know what ? You'll never please them all 100%. The good book says there are some who will die and go to heaven and still bitch that the grass isn't green enough. !

Caveman
01-27-2007, 08:27 PM
most people are polite to someone packing a rifle or shotgun.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact you are packing a loaded weapon, a big knife on your hip and a hungry look in your eye, would it?:lol: :lol:

BearSniper
01-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Ya I suppose you got a point. :|

But some people don't care and, by the sounds of other members experiences, some so called environmentalists aren't afraid to yell and argue with someone holding a 7mm magnum.

They know all too well you are responsible and won't harm them. They just want to push your buttons.:evil:

Franko Manini
01-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Never been accused of poaching, but Hermit and I got stopped out near the Carmanah by a protest group called "Women in the Woods". They were right in our faces even though we were armed! Brave? Stupid? Who knows.

They had a road block up and we came flyin around a corner doing 70kph on a nice flat logging road heading out to our bear hunting area. Had to lock up the binders to avoid crashing through their roadblock.

Wolfman
02-09-2008, 09:27 PM
i hunted bowen island a couple of years ago and was followed into the bush by a man and his dog. They just followed me for a couple of hours untill i got pissed off and left. Long way to go and expensive for that to happen.

Bowen Island must have a fair few 'eco-nuts' on it I'd imagine

Wolfman

happygilmore
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Never been accused of poaching, but Hermit and I got stopped out near the Carmanah by a protest group called "Women in the Woods". They were right in our faces even though we were armed! Brave? Stupid? Who knows.

They had a road block up and we came flyin around a corner doing 70kph on a nice flat logging road heading out to our bear hunting area. Had to lock up the binders to avoid crashing through their roadblock.
There are laws against this "Interfereing with a legal hunt" call RCMP press charges.

Pg 18 of the Regs
It Is unlawful to:

18. interfere with or obstruct a person licenced or permitted to hunt... and is lawfully doing so.

Wolfman
02-09-2008, 09:51 PM

Franko, I think there are laws against interfering with a legal hunt. Maybe the cops might have been of some use to you?

Wolfman

Gateholio
02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I don'tthink I've ever bene "hassled" although some mountain bikers did tell me "there is a tonne of grouse around the corner"..but I'm not big on hunting, dude...

3 mins later BANG BANG BANG with the 20 guage...Only time I got a triple with a O/U:biggrin:

ruger#1
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I carry a bottle of skunk scent for those situations.

The Hermit
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Franko, I think there are laws against interfering with a legal hunt. Maybe the cops might have been of some use to you?

Wolfman

Yep but we were way the heck and gone in the back country... just wasn't worth the effort at the time. Funny enough after we chatted with them and decided to leave we got around the corner just out of sight and damned if the biggest mythical hybrid deer/elk/moose didn't walk right out in front of us... we immediately bailed out of the truck and let fly with a few rounds.

Missed! :smile:

Brambles
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Not really hassling but I was stopped on a FSR getting my gear ready to hike into a spot when a woman pulled up in her SUV, she drove past me a bit, then stopped, backed up. When she rolled down her window she said
"you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" :smile:

Gateholio
02-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Not really hassling but I was stopped on a FSR getting my gear ready to hike into a spot when a woman pulled up in her SUV, she drove past me a bit, then stopped, backed up. When she rolled down her window she said
"you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" :smile:

hahhahahahahhahahah

awesome!!!!

If I had a nickel for every time a mountina biker said "you are hunitng on a mountain bike trail" and I replied "it was a deer trail until a few years ago"... I'd be rich..:p

sfire436
02-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Bear sniper is BANG ON! As fufulling as it would be to become confrontational and start telling these people just how silly and stupid they are (though some are not, just being active citizens) It is still in our best interest to remain calm and consructivley tell them of your actions and what it is you are actually doing. Give them no ammunition to go after us as "gun crazy rednecks" and so forth.Always show yourself as a repectful member of this great province and if they continue to be irrate then by al means suggest they take down your licence plate and report to the CO office, just make sure to call the office first and let them know of the situation to cover your arse.

sfire436
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Hmmm just got a though, bear spray? they should invent "anti" spray. Once they start to become aggresive just like bears your just spray it in their faces and watch them run!

115 or bust
02-10-2008, 01:47 AM
You guys missed all the good times when I was small and my dad was bear guiding it used to be a high speed chase every morning so the Bearwatch basterds with their megaphones couldn't keep up. Then there was the whole stalking thing one of our family friends started recieving videos of his kids going to and from school and notes left on his car. Guy and his wife driving home from dinner and getting followed and they called the cops and the people in the car were taken in for concealed weapons. Then came the poison mousetraps, thats when the cops really cracked down on them and all of it funded by a sweet old lady from the comox valley!! Boy I sure don't miss those good old days at all.

Gateholio
02-10-2008, 02:23 AM
I would always smile at antis.

Be nice, smile alot

More fun that way:p

happygilmore
02-10-2008, 03:13 AM
Smile and be polite, never lose your temper, that way they cannot come back at you when you call the cops.

Eichelherr
02-10-2008, 03:22 AM
Poison mousetraps? i dont follow
________
justin bieber (http://justinbieberfan.info/)

bsa30-06
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought there were laws against hastling hunters?? At the very least I'd tell them to call a CO and I'll explain what I'm doing to them and they should have a nice day.

I'm with steeleco on this one, i'm sure there are laws about harrasing and /or interfeering in a persons hunt.If their really that concerned about what im doing they can call a CO and when he shows up i'll explain how this person illegally interfeered in my hunt, and demand something be done about it.That being said if they can manage to conduct themselves like a normal human being i will take the time to explain what im doing, but if they insist on interfeering then i will report them.

model88
02-10-2008, 10:39 AM
The only time I was really harrassed was pheasant hunting in southern alberta. We went out of our way to get permission from the Huterites to hunt this coulee behind there comune. Normally you don't need permission, they just ask you not too shoot the BEEF, mind the gates etc.

Well, we were driving towards the top end of this coulee to hunt it, when out of no where came 3 guys on quads chasing cows. Apparently someone else had been there earlier, had left gates open and now these guys, not Huterites, where chasing their cows back. They came up to my truck and went off on us.

We told them we had permission, written even, but it didn't matter to them, they were pi^%ed at somebody else and took it out on us. We just turned around and left, wasn't worth the effort and there were lots of other areas to hunt.

OOBuck
02-10-2008, 11:43 AM

What were they protesting?? Hunting, logging, the right to be stupid?

115 or bust
02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Poison mousetraps? i dont follow

You never saw that on the news?? They mounted razorblades on mousetraps and had them couriered to guide outfitters. This was about 10 years ago.

BCLongshot
02-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Shouldn't be this way but it is.

You have to know your rights, know how to handle situations. Role play it through. Ask questions and get good answers. I read some pretty misinformed things on this site that could get you in a heap of poo-poo.

I don't take any poop from people but I am a gentleman 1st even if they aren't.

Know your rights and be confident.

brotherjack
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM

Ummm.... I know of several instances where the CO's were the one's doing the harassing. A couple years back, a guy I used to work with and a friend of his got sent home from a hunt under threat of having their firearms confiscated because his friend had already cut his deer tag for the year and was really just along for the ride and maybe a coyote or something on schedule C if an opportunity presented itself.

I've heard stuff like that enough times from people I trust aren't lying about it, that I make a point of not packing a rifle if I go out with someone after I've already cut my deer tag. No point in getting a day's hunt ruined by an overzealous CO who doesn't believe me when I say that I'm just there for the coyotes.

BeerBaitnAmmo
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I havn't had anyone interfere with my hunt as of yet, however you do get a good range of snyde remarks from the yuppy population that frequent the Pitt Poulder Dykes. My buddy and I actually find it pretty entertaining. To each their own (as long as they dont close the PMA any more than they already have, then there will be hell to pay...)

6 K
03-20-2008, 08:11 PM
" Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" :smile:[/quote]

You should have asked her if any of them were six pointers:grin:

fowl language
03-21-2008, 09:08 AM
what you need to do is inform them of what your doing if they persist to bother your hunt you then dial the local c.o. and tell them that you have someone impeding in a legal hunt. we did it 2 yrs. ago and had the fellow charged and convicted,he now is very quite when we hunt that area once a year....fowl