PDA

View Full Version : Shot selection?

MooseNuts
01-20-2007, 10:09 AM
I am wondering what shell (manufacturer, size) people have been using for ducks/geese?

I used 3", 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 Federals this year with success (in the 1350fps range). My hunting partner used Winchesters for a while and was very dissappointed. He then switch to Kent and was happy.

I flirted with #4 this year but had more success with #2 early season and BB later season. That said I think that BB may be a little excessive for decoying ducks after completely obliterating 2 mallards yesterday but it did work well on the geese.

Jamie

Mattimoose
01-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Like 3.5" Winchester#3's at 1550, 1 3/8oz. Mod. choke& Imp. Cyl. in O/U shotgun. Also like #6 Heavi-shot for stalking and decapitating geese. 1 3/4 oz. Two times this fall dropped 2 geese with 1 shot with #6 heavy shot-2 flying, 2 sitting@ 20yards each respectively. Had to swim for all.

Dano
01-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I shoot the Winchester HV 1550fps shells. I used the #4 and #2 for ducks this season but in the future I think I'll stick to the #2 as it seems I dropped more birds harder with the larger shot. I used to use a heavy load #6 when we shot lead and found it hard to move up to #2 steel on a consistant basis but the reality is more birds down and easier retrieves for my dog (less swimming cripples).
I shoot over decoys and don't shoot over 30 yards very often, I have my full choke barrel opened up to modified choke.
Dan

gary mok
01-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I used the drylock #2 3'' HV 1550fps 1 1/8oz this season for pass shooting and made a successful hunted than last year cause it's more density and the pattern is much better than the same grand shot shell,the guy from gun shop said that and I think he's right.

Crazy_Farmer
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I stared the season using only Winchester HV 1550fps shells, 3 1/2" 1-3/8oz BB for the geese and 3" 4s for ducks. Liked them alot, still use them for geese but we bought a case of 3" 3s and didnt seem to do aswell as with the 4s on ducks, so we also tried some kent faststeel 2-3/4 4s later in the season but didnt get enough to shoot at to really tell how its working.

craigchaplin
01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I use Federal 2 3/4 #2's . They have worked fine fer me on ducks.......never hunted geese but would imagine BB fer sure and maybe even 3 inch. Might try out the new remington loads next year supposed to be denser than lead?? Its called wingmaster hd er somethin like that.......anybody used it?

Ian F.
01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
I like to have an ounce and a quarter of shot going at least 1300 FPS with shot size of #3 being the most consistant preformer for me. I've used maninly winchester experts but was spurred the other day to cut one open and look at the shot, was quite disapointed with the quality, almost ever pellet had a dimple in it and they where defineetly not perfectly round. I bought some Kents yesterday to check out and the pellets are perfectly round.

The real secret is to pattern you gun and loads and see what works best. Paper tells you the potential, shooting clays (ya it can be sore) tells you the whole story. Judging your shells on birds has sooo many variables that you are at best guessing.

Very best,

Ian

MooseNuts
01-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Sounds like we are all playing in the same ball park.

Cheers and have a good practice/off season!!!!!

Dano
01-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I've heard this before Ian. For the most part, I've done well with the Winchesters but as you know I shoot relatively close range and high percentage shots (at least the first shot). There are days where I just can't anchor a bird though so I have been thinking about trying out other brands.
What's the price of Kent shells and what is their FPS? Are 3" readily available and where did you purchase your shells?
Dan

I like to have an ounce and a quarter of shot going at least 1300 FPS with shot size of #3 being the most consistant preformer for me. I've used maninly winchester experts but was spurred the other day to cut one open and look at the shot, was quite disapointed with the quality, almost ever pellet had a dimple in it and they where defineetly not perfectly round. I bought some Kents yesterday to check out and the pellets are perfectly round.

The real secret is to pattern you gun and loads and see what works best. Paper tells you the potential, shooting clays (ya it can be sore) tells you the whole story. Judging your shells on birds has sooo many variables that you are at best guessing.

Very best,

Ian

Ian F.
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Since I'm south of the border at least once a month, I just picked some up from a shop down there, they have a full range of shells. I'm looking at getting some 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz #3 or #4's going 1300 fps for next year. THey are $85 a case U.S.! I used to load the near identical load and found it the most effective load on ducks I've used, just don't like all the time and hassle and price with reloading steel.

I spoke with ??? at Smokin gun and he said he can order in just about anything, so I'll see if he can get what I want in, in the summer and not have to deal with the border issues.

I've shot winchesters for the last 8 years and done well, but I'm always wondering if I can do better for the same effort, but is that not the very crux of duck hunting?

Ian

MooseNuts
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I was in Oregon over the holidays and priced out some Kent shells. There were roughly the same price as here. I do believe that the 3" were about $15 a box....but don't quote me on that. My hunting partner got his when he was in Calgary.

dave
01-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey Ian, the owner at smokin gun is named Kelly and he is really great about bringing in what every shells you may want. I burn through a fair number of shells shooting clays and he keeps me well supplied.

bogman
02-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I load my own steel and make a shell that is 1oz of 2's going 1575 fps . It really is a duck killing machine. I shoot 3 1/2" BBB @ geese, alot slower shell but does the job.