PDA

View Full Version : black box

COHO
01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
What do you set your black box too when out for winter springers? Do you change it up or set it and just fish?

BlacktailStalker
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
.600 is the standard for springs. I find the winter springs are feeding a bit heavier, therefore are more active, also because of being smaller and for that reason, try between .600 and .650.
But then on some days... Be sure to test the charge emitted from your boat so you see if you have to adjust it more or less of a positive or negative charge to reach that ideal output.

Chuck
01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Along the same line/topic. I fly fish from an aluminum boat or wooden boat. I notice CONSISTENTLY that I can get closer to them in the wooden boat, but if I use the aluminum Lund, the rainbows will only come so far, then they stop rising and go around the boat and continue 50 feet on the other side. It seems to me that the aluminum boat transmits some kind of field around it that they sense and stay away from. This is fresh water river fly fishing from a boat. Can this gizmo be used to cancel the electric charge emitted by the boat? Or is this just some kind of bs I'm coming out with? I've seen this thing in Cabelas catalog, but they use it for down-rigger cable. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Dragginbait
01-19-2007, 08:39 AM
I thought that it only happened in salt water, but you could try mounting a small zinc to your boat? Without an engine to ground to I'm not sure where you could check the voltage from.

Mr. Dean
01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
This IS a saltwater issue only. There are other ways to deal w/ it but this is probably the simplest, but also most expensive...

Its likely that your trout are getting 'spooked' of your tin-tub, because of the way it transmits the smallest of sounds. Where as the woody absorbs a whole lot more.

It has also been proven that hull colour can effect the way fish hang around a boat.

Time to pull out the camo paint. :eek: :wink: :cool:

Chuck
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Mr.Dean - That's the exact same explanation another fellow gave me a while back. As much as it's VERY LOGICAL, I fail to agree. Even when DEAD CALM there is no water lapping sound. I'm low, still and quiet as a mouse, they'll feed up to the boat only so far, then sound or turn away. I truly believe that there is some electrical potential between the boat and water. Unfortunately for me they are still out of reach when they do this. I wish I could find a circuit plan to build something that I could try, cheaply if it doesn't work.