PDA

View Full Version : Signt right...

Franko Manini
01-14-2007, 11:45 PM
So I'm getting my bow sighted in and my arrows are shooting high and right. I easily adjusted the elevation, and moved the sight to the right a bit. Next group, good for elevation, still right. So, I moved the sight right again.

To make a long story short, I could still go right some more but I don't think I will have enough room on the sight adjustments. Should I move the rest? Any other ideas?

The sight picture is good, peep is in correct position and anchor point is corner of the mouth with consistent kisser contact.

BTW - in case it matters (or anyone gives a sh!t) I am a lefty.

Thanks!

Bow Walker
01-15-2007, 09:00 AM
So I'm getting my bow sighted in and my arrows are shooting high and right. I easily adjusted the elevation, and moved the sight to the right a bit. Next group, good for elevation, still right. So, I moved the sight right again.

To make a long story short, I could still go right some more but I don't think I will have enough room on the sight adjustments. Should I move the rest? Any other ideas?

The sight picture is good, peep is in correct position and anchor point is corner of the mouth with consistent kisser contact.

BTW - in case it matters (or anyone gives a sh!t) I am a lefty.

Thanks!

There's your problem right there!:twisted:

Are you sure that you are not torquing the bow? Are your shoulders "squared"? Are you fighting to keep the bow "on target" (thinking about stance here)........is your stance too closed - or too open? Are you "pulling' your bow hand away to see where your arrows are flying, before those arrows impact the target? Are you anticipating the shot and thereby jerking the release slightly? Is your bow hand gripping the bow in an identical manner each time?

Pretty simple and basic questions, I know, but where else to start without actually seeing you shoot?

Hope this helps.

model88
01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Just a thought, but have you paper tuned the bow?

willyqbc
01-15-2007, 09:32 AM
when you hold the bow in front of you as though you were going to shoot it, you should be able to line up the string with the center of your nocked arrow then look up to your pins...if the pins are not very close to or hidden by your string then you have a problem with your set-up. Could be rest position, could be arrow spine. What are the specifics of your bow and what are the specifics of your arrows.

Chris

Franko Manini
01-15-2007, 10:49 AM
All good points guys... here is some more info:

Bow is Reflex Highlander, set to 55lb, draw is 27.5". Arrows are Easton Excel 400s.

Of course I am SURE it is not my form/release/fault since I am a perfect archer :lol: .

I have never paper tuned the bow.

willyqbc
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
assuming a 100 grain tip that bow/arrow combo should spine out just fine. I would think it has to be a centershot issue, or as stated above you are torquing the bow quite a bit.

Chris

Timbow
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Are you shooting with fingers or mechanical release? If you are using a mechanical release you need to position the center shot on your Reflex between 3/4" and 7/8" from the rises shelf to the center of the arrow. While you're making adjustments make sure your arrow is level to the rest. This is a starting point for paper tuning. Go to Eastons website and download to tuning guide. It is an awesome guide to help you with setting up and fine tuning your bow.

Tim

4ptbuck
01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
The one things that I noticed when I picked up a bow and started to shoot was the grip, or lack thereof.

When shooting a compound I found it best to use a sling, and not grip the bow.

If I gripped, I torqued,... always. Even when I don't I find it natural to 'grab' the bow after/during the shot, causing torque.

Nails
01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Franko I would try another session and focus on your form. This should help, working on your form and see were your arrow groups. What happens to new archers your muscles don't have the memory yet and you start chasing the target around with your sight tring to solve the problem. Focus on your form in turn your groups if your hitting paper and your arrows appear to fly true. Try this for a couple of short sessions. Hope it helps.

Franko Manini
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Franko I would try another session and focus on your form. This should help, working on your form and see were your arrow groups. What happens to new archers your muscles don't have the memory yet and you start chasing the target around with your sight tring to solve the problem. Focus on your form in turn your groups if your hitting paper and your arrows appear to fly true. Try this for a couple of short sessions. Hope it helps.

Sounds like a great idea.

Eagle1
01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
assuming a 100 grain tip that bow/arrow combo should spine out just fine. I would think it has to be a centershot issue, or as stated above you are torquing the bow quite a bit.

Chris

As Chris said " centreshot"
Warm up with a few arrows, put up a piece of paper and do some paper tuning.
A heavy cardboard box with both ends removed and a piece of newspaper across it, a big picture frame with newspaper over it.
Or I could weld you up a nice paper tuning rack for a few bucks. I have one of those chrome stands { like in wally world for signs to go in } it has a heavy base and is about 20"x20" for the paper, it works realy well.
But paper tune to get that arrow flying true. Don't torque the grip, always anchor in the same place on your face, a little looser or a little tighter will make you shoot left and right.

Franko Manini
01-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Are you shooting with fingers or mechanical release? If you are using a mechanical release you need to position the center shot on your Reflex between 3/4" and 7/8" from the rises shelf to the center of the arrow. While you're making adjustments make sure your arrow is level to the rest. This is a starting point for paper tuning. Go to Eastons website and download to tuning guide. It is an awesome guide to help you with setting up and fine tuning your bow.

Tim

Tim, shooting with a release and a bowsling so I don't think it's torque. I'll check the centreshot distance as you suggested tonight.