PDA

View Full Version : Rod preferences

Chuck
01-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm always on the look-out for old spinning rods. I absolutely prefer the tubular fiberglass rod in 8 to 8.5 feet, 2 piece and fairly stiff action. I've bought a modern E-glass rod, but they aren't as long as the old rods once were and the diameter at the butt is typically too big. You can keep these modern graphites, though I've never bought a 5 or 700 dollar one, so I can't judge them. I use my rods for big river, fresh water spinning from shore or boat. Opinions/thoughts?

Chinese redneck
01-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Well if you can find them go get yourself a richmake.. They are really nice rod, med action... Its really hard to find yourself a fiberglass rod that is fast/stiff action.. They just don't build that way... As for graphites, you can't really beat them.. They are strong and light compared to the fiberglass rod.. You don't have to spend $500-700 on them.. Some of the mid range rod like from Trophy Xl are really nice and fish really well and cost you about $150... If you want to go a touch more get yourself a G.Loomis GL2 1084 spinning.. you can handle pretty much anything around lowermain land and cost you just shy of $300... go look around and talk to some experienced staff at a tackle store.

SAVAGE300
01-30-2007, 10:07 PM
have a look at lamiglass, lots of choices there, I have 2 and have had no probs

COHO
01-31-2007, 11:11 PM
I use A Fenwick FMX on the rivers! Great rod to cast is very strong. Only about $125.00

Johnnybear
02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
have a look at lamiglass, lots of choices there, I have 2 and have had no probs

I second that. I was at the Washington Sportman Show down south 2 weekends ago and checked out the Lamiglass booth. Awesome rod's with lots of selection. I almost bought a really nice spinning rod for trout but copped out a the last minute. I have 2 hali rods made by them and there bomb proof. Good rods IMO.