PDA

View Full Version : It’s been exactly one week…

zaconb
01-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Since I said good-bye to my old friend. He’d been in my life for over 15 years and things are strange right now. He entered my life at the beginning of my marriage, through thick and thin he stood by me and now he’s gone. He was a constant companion, attended some university classes with me, came to work with me for years, and his favorite place was in the back of our SUV.

Zack was outstanding both in the field and home and in 1995 was the Number one GSP in Canada in FDX, what makes this accomplishment so great was the fact that he had only participated in two FDX events and all other dogs scored were based on an average of their three highest scores.

It’s tough to let go but I knew that my boy had failed to the point where I could let him suffer no more. After spending the night snuggled between my wife and I, a hand fed breakfast, then a trip to the local coffee shop where at the drive-through the girls loved to spoil him with treats, his life ended in our SUV at the hands of our vet, Zack wrapped up in his goose down duvet.
Zack is being cremated and his ashes will rest in a hand carved wood Duck decoy especially carved for him by one of our forum members. Why a wood duck, though Zack was amazing on all up land birds, this is expected of a GSP. What set him apart in my mind was his love of waterfowl retrieving, and one of his most memorable was on a beautiful male wood duck!
Thanks
Rick

Zack at 13yr pinning a wild pheasant
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/zaconb/Oct03.jpg

Zack and his son Conner.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/zaconb/ZacoNov02.jpg

rocksteady
01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
It's hard. I have had several long time pets (not really pets, but damn near your best friend) that it was their time to leave.

Remember the good times with him, such as the pictures you posted. He will always be part of your life, in your heart, even now that his bodily being no longer exists.

Hang in there. Time will help heal all wounds...

hoochie
01-12-2007, 08:42 AM
That made my nose run and put a tear in my eye. Especially where you will keep his ashes.
I wish you all the best, and remember the good times.
It can be hard, very very hard.

300H&H
01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Im very sorry to hear about your friend. I wish there was something that could be said to make this easyer, but only time will help. There was another posting by DDOG & one of the replys you may want to read. It was about "THE RAINBOW BRIDGE". I hope it helps.

MB_Boy
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Rick.....sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. It is tough and when you watch them deteriorate it makes it even more difficult to let go. I have had 3 Chessie's and saying good bye was a tough thing and definitely left a feeling of emptiness.

The Dawg
01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss....on the 18th, it will be exactly one year since I said good-bye to my best friend Noah. Every day is a challenge, but it does get easier with time. I occasionally find myself getting ready to call him, then realizing he's not here. I still tear up missing him. Memories are what keeps us going....

I was standing on a hillside
In a field of blowing wheat
And the spirit of a Dog
Was lying at my feet.

She looked at me with kind dark eyes
An ancient wisdom shining through
And in the essence of her being
I saw a love there too.

Her mind did lock upon my heart
As I stood there on that day
And she told me of this story
About a place so far away.

I stood upon that hillside
In a field of blowing wheat
And in a twinkling of a second
Her spirit left my feet.

Her tale did put my heart at ease
My fears did fade away
About what lay ahead of me
On another distant day.

"I live among God's creatures now
In the heavens of your mind
So do not grieve for me, my friend
As I am with my kind.

My collar is a rainbow's hue
My leash a shooting star
My boundaries are the Milky Way
Where I sparkle from afar.

There are no pens or kennels here
For I am not confined
But free to roam God's heavens
Among my canine kind.

I nap the day on a snowy cloud
Gentle breezes rocking me
And dream the dreams of earthlings
And how it used to be.

The trees are full of liver treats
And tennis balls abound
And Milkbones line the walkways
Just waiting to be found.

There even is a ring set up
The grass all lush and green
And everyone who gaits around
Becomes the Best of Breed.

For we're all winners in this place
We have no faults, you see
And God passes out those ribbons
To each one, even me.

I drink from waters laced with gold
My world a beauty to behold
And wise old dogs do form my pride
To amble at my very side.

At night I sleep in an angel's arms
Her wings protecting me
And moonbeams dance about us
As stardust falls on thee.

So when your life on earth is spent
And you stand at Heaven's gate
Have no fear of loneliness
For here, you know I wait.

Murder
01-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Time heals all wounds. You may think you wont get through the day, but every day you are still making progress, and one day you will look back and realize you made it. Though you will always have a place in your heart for your best friend. I lost my father at 10 years old, and thought I would never get over it. I still think about him daily, but with each passing day and year, it gets a little easier. Take care, my thoughts are with you.

craigchaplin
01-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about yer buddy....sounds like he had a full life though....he'll be swimmin and retrievin all day now in a better place,