PDA

View Full Version : Your advice on getting into hunting

huntwriter
01-11-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm writing a column on how a person can get into hunting, and thought it might be good to solicit some of your ideas and recommendations. It would be a good way to pass along some ideas of others rather than just my own, but also a way to promote this site as a good resource for all things hunting.

So, please post what you would tell another adult who is interested in starting out, or someone who is interested in getting back into hunting. You might see your HuntingBC "handle" mentioned in my column.
Here are some starter questions:

Is it important for a person to hunt small game before "graduating" to deer?
Should a person try all kinds of hunting (deer, waterfowl, archery, squirrels, turkeys, etc.) to see what he likes?
What kind of "associates" should the new hunter pal around with?
Is it better to approach hunting with a do-it-yourself attitude, or to solicit the help of others?
What recommendations would you make for keeping the expense down for the new hunter?
Anything goes. Let's leave it open-ended and see what happens.

Thanks.
Othmar

01-11-2007, 08:17 AM
My first question would be how does the perspective hunter feel about being responsible for taking the life of an animal. Everything else is secondary in terms of what you use, seasons, species etc.
I understand my place on the big wheel of life and its a fact that l need nourishment to survive and that usually come at the expense of something else. How a person makes peace with themselves over this issue has alot to with how enjoyable the total experience is perceived. Personally, if l have done everything l can to make the harvest as quick and humane as possible, its good.
As for the rest of the questions........l don't think it matters much. A dozens hunters will give you a dozen different versions of what works for them, after all hunting is a very personal effort and out side of basic safety guidelines, how and what and with who you choose to hunt with is an individuals choice and subject to change as different facets of the sport take your interest.

Rod
01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
While starting small can be a benifit it certainly isn't necessary, choose what intrests you and give the animal the respect it deserves regardless of size. If you are not going to put it to use then don't kill it PERIOD.

If you decide not to go it alone choose hunting companion(s) carefully, compatability and similar values make for a better overall experience.

You don't want to spend a week in a tent (or even a day in a blind) with a redneck that swears a blue streek all day if you are a teatoadling churchgoer.

You can learn to hunt on your own as many before you have but taking advantage of advice from experienced hunters either in person or in print will help alot. Don't forget that hunting is a personal thing and just because someone says "this is the way it's done" it doesn't mean there are not other methods that work. Choose your own path and expect to learn new things all the time for years to come.

Hunting can be a very inexpensive sport with some basic camping gears, a good pair of boots and a used firearm and a quality knife. You don't need the latest greatest whizz-bang rifle chambered for a super fast lazer like trajectory. Buy what you can afford and start small as you gain experience you will figure out what works for you. If you mortgage the house for all the bells and whistles and spend your days in the field wondering how you are going to make your next payment you have already taken most of the fun out of it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY.... Have Fun!!!

ohno
01-11-2007, 10:03 AM
It is important to know how a person will react to taking the life of an animal. Starting with birds and small game is a good way to introduce a new hunter on the process of harvesting food, from the field to the table.
Fish are not a good indicator, I have a friend who is a fisherman and has not problem dealing with fish, but cleaning grouse or rabbits makes him squemish.
The second question is really dependant on what's available in that persons area, and what interests they have.
Third and fourth questions is that a knowledgeable mentor is an invaluable resourse to have. If a person wants to get into hunting, beyond a superficial level a person who can show them the ropes really goes a long way to speed the learning process. It can be done on your own, but it is nice to have the Student/Teacher relationship. Who knows if you do your job well your student will teach you something.
As for keeping expense down, stick to the basics. A rifle/shotgun appropriate to the game being hunting, a map, compass, decent pack, and a good knife, you don't really need much more. Licenses/tags will add up ONCE you have taken all of the appropriate safety course (PAL/CORE).

My 2bits.

Wildman
01-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I would say that it would probably be a good idea for a person who thinks that they would like to hunting, to go out with an experienced hunter to see weather or not it really is for them. Not only to be out for the kill, but to do all of the work afterwords. The gutting, packing, skinning, butchering etc...

Gateholio
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I never had any hunting mentors when I was younger, and when I started hunting again at about 25, simply because I didn't know anyone.

I wish I had gone ot a local Rod & Gun club meeting and announced that I was new, woudl anyone give me a hand?

I think that woudl be a good tactic to use, and also show up at the shooting events at the range to meet people.

Internet sites like this help as well, as hunters tend to be a pretty good bunch, and many new hunters have been taken out by more experienced ones that they meet here. I've taken out several (I think 5) new hunters that I met on one site or another..

Startiugn to hunt as an adult is challenging, you dont' know the basics, and you haven't been brougth up looking for thing s the way a kid wiht a hunting father has.

I struggled for a lot of years, and still struggle to a certain degree. The one good thing I had going was that I had spent most of my life in the woods/on water/on mountains, so I didn't need to learn how to build a fire in a rainstorm at the same time as learning to hunt!:lol:

BCLongshot
01-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Ya Gatehouse I like the "MENTOR" idea. I've helped a few recently and I'd help more.

huntwriter you can even put my "handle" down for mentorship.

huntwriter
01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
416 made a very good point by saying; “…how does the perspective hunter feel about being responsible for taking the life of an animal.” I can relate to that by remembering my first kill many moons ago. I felt not very good seeing the animal dead in front of me. As time passed I got used to it but I still get a bit of an emotional stir when I pull the trigger or let the bow string loose.

It's hard to say how a person feels about ending the life of an animal. I believe that this is an issue each person has to deal with it. I also think that a novice hunter makes up his mind about the killing of an animal quickly once he accompanies a veteran hunter and witnesses the kill.

Although I grew up in a hunter family, I can relate to Gatehouse. When I came from Switzerland to North America I found that the hunting methods and tactics are very different from Europe. I had not tutor to show me how it is done. I also was, as foreigner barely able to speak English, shy to ask other hunters.

Many good responses have been made here to my request. Most replays have been in reference to my initial five questions. I gave these questions more as an idea to get the discussion started. As I said in my first post, “Anything goes. Let's leave it open-ended and see what happens.”

Let me give you a hypothetical situation to show you where I am heading with this.

I have never hunted or family background in the hunting tradition. I am a total hunting “greenhorn”. If I where to meet you and ask for advice on how to get into hunting, besides CORE and the Firearm Safety Course, what would your personal advice for me be? Would you offer to be my mentor? - To read hunting books and magazines? -To join a club or organization? – To visit hunting sport stores, outdoor sport shows, seminars and such like? Search the Internet for answers and join hunting forums such as HuntingBC?

Let me know how to go about to become a hunter like you!

Thanks for taking part in this survey/dicussion.

Othmar

bsa30-06
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
My personal advice to anybody wanting to start hunting would to be ask questions.If you have questions ask i find most hunters are more then willing to give advice and to help out.When i first started hunting i know i asked the same questions over and over and to many different people and always got different answers.Once i had these answers i was able to decide what was best for me, every hunter does his thing differently then the next hunter and that doesn't make it right or wrong.For example i hunt alot on foot i like to hike into different areas some use quads, deosn't make my way anymore right or wrong then the guy on the quad.For a beginner starting out i would recomend buying second hand, i did this with my rifle and to this day i still have this rifle it is my back up gun.Hunting can be expensive, but it can also be done affordably.You can do what i do and buy one or two new things every season such as gps,clothing, tents,scope etc.You can and will break the bank if you try to buy it all at once.When it comes to finding a hunting partner i recomend a day trip or over night trip, keep them short at first and get to know your partner well before heading out on those longer trips.Remember you can also hunt alone but there are a few more restrictions, you will have to remember that YOU are going to do all the work yourself.I would suggest hunting with a partner until you have some experience, there is no better way to learn then to have a partner show you especially when it comes to field dressing.When i shot my first deer , my partner was going to show me how to field dress it, but instead i had him talk me thru the process so i could learn hands on, but with the help of somebody who had done it before.As far as trying all types of hunting, if it interest you then try it.Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, ask lots it's a great way to learn.

Bushman
01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I have never hunted or family background in the hunting tradition. I am a total hunting “greenhorn”. If I where to meet you and ask for advice on how to get into hunting, besides CORE and the Firearm Safety Course, what would your personal advice for me be? Would you offer to be my mentor? - To read hunting books and magazines? -To join a club or organization? – To visit hunting sport stores, outdoor sport shows, seminars and such like? Search the Internet for answers and join hunting forums such as HuntingBC?

Let me know how to go about to become a hunter like you!

Thanks for taking part in this survey/dicussion.

Othmar

Huntwriter:

Firstly, I'd like to say that I think you have an excellent idea for an article that's sure to the draw the attention of many eager and up-and-coming hunters. With all the negative press these days, the sport of hunting may not stand much of a chance of surviving in the future without these young sportsmen/women entering the field.

Over the years it has given me great joy to see the hunting and shooting spark in many youngsters' eyes kindled into a flame. When that flame is carefully nurtured it generally burns for a lifetime.

Knowing if a young boy or girl has the "right stuff" to become a fair-chase hunter and decent rifle and shotgun shot has always come reasonably easy for me. It seems that these kids often travel to the beat of a different drummer. As a good hockey or baseball scout can sometimes have a gut-feeling about kid after watching him/her on the ice or the field for the first time, some hunters and shooters seem to have a knack for seeing a child's potential in the shooting and hunting sports.

If you were a total greenhorn, but sincere (and lets not forget we were all greenhorns at one time), I'd invite you and your parents up to our gun club's family day event. There you (and your parents) could try your hand at shooting .22s and slowly work your way up to big-bore hunting rifles. I would also offer to answer any questions you or your family may have on all aspects of safety, regulations, the shooting, hunting and fishing sports, as well as everything the club has to offer members.

I think that besides hammering the point of the importance of safety at all times, the best advice I could give an up-and-coming hunter would be to obtain books (perhaps from the library if you can't afford to buy them) written on each and every animal or bird they intend to pursue. The books will help you learn as much as you possibly can on the habits of your quarry. I would also suggest renting or purchasing DVDs or VHS tapes like the "Truth" series on hunting. I firmly believe that even seasoned hunters will learn a few tricks watching those great hunts.

Secondly, I don't think you could go too far wrong in suggesting that young hunters not be afraid to join sites like "HuntingBC." Remember to also politely mention at sports stores, trade shows or gun clubs that you are just getting started and need some honest advice. Most everyone I know would be more than happy to offer up some of what they have learned over the years.

Last, but certainly not least, as a former range warden with our club I would offer my advice on a few of the tried, tested and true hunting rifles suitable for almost all of British Columbia's game species. I'd also like to say that I would never start a new hunter/shooter out on one of the big magnums. Throughout the years there will be plenty of time try all the big guns. And when all is said and done, half the fun is to sit back, reflect on great hunting memories with friends, and admire your collection of fine rifles.

Good Huntin'

Bushman

Sideofabarn
01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I would scream MENTOR! I like the idea of the newbie to tag along on a hunt before they kill anything themselves, so they can see what the effort required is for basic field dressing for hide or meat. That, along with other things already mentioned such as hunting ethics, development of personal hunting morals, and that the hunt is about so much more than killing stuff. For some, it is cameraderie, for others it's solitude. That said, if you're a total greenhorn, can you pick out the foibles of others? I got into it by myself, starting with rabbits and a bolt action .22. I read obsessively about hunting, and working on farms taught me about slaughtering and dressing animals and birds. I hunted with a friend who was at my level for a time, and I cherish those experiences as we found things out together. In other ways, sometimes a mentor could teach bad habits/attitudes, so get to know the person thoroughly first. I do however appreciate everything I found by myself, and it remains a sense of accomplishment. Hell, an observant hunter learns for the rest of their lives, so why not start well?

Phil
01-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Hunting small game is not nessecarily important before hunting deer. Each hunter will feel differently about this answer I'm sure but I would say that the animal you chose to hunt should be because of a need you are attempting to fill. Hunters hunt for sport, nurishment, trophy, comoradory exercise and many others, not to mention various combinations of these. Hunt the animal that fills your needs.
New hunters should spend time with the people who inspire them to hunt. Hunting is contagious and eventually family freinds become interested in it. The excitement of a new hunter makes hunting new again for experienced hunters. I don't think one needs to make new associates to pal around with. Use the human resources you've got experienced or not. Make some new friends if this doesn't work for you.
Seeking help when you need it is obviously important to be successful in a timely manner, however, this approach also makes you a do-it-yourselfer. I have learned that my best tool before, during, and after hunting is information. You have got to talk to people and be willing to ask questions during all of these times. Sometimes a small tip is all you need to be successful. A do-it-yourselfer fore sure. Solicit help from others, ...you bet.
There is no doubt that hunting is expensive but is can be kept within your budget. Minimize what you buy by utilzing what you already have. Buy used when you can. Go without if possible. Plan ahead so you have time to look for sales. Although some of the hunting toys are fun, not all are required and they do not guarantee a kill. In the end it will come down to being in the right place at the right time, so take what you need to get you in to that spot.

huntwriter
01-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks to everyone for taking part in this. Some good thoughts and ideas. I think I am able to use something from everyone. The column should be published by Monday. I'll post the link to the column here.

Huntwriter:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I think you have an excellent idea for an article that's sure to the draw the attention of many eager and up-and-coming hunters.
Thank you Bushman.
The idea of making the column came to me when I received about ten emails last month from my readers asking; “…how can I get into hunting” or something along these lines. All of these emails where sent to me by people that have no hunting background but would like to enter the sport, or “hunting heritage” as I prefer to call it.

The column may help some readers to find the answers they are seeking. I’ll will post a link to HuntingBC with my column, that way some might even find there way here and we can take them under “our wings”.:)

Bushman
01-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Huntwriter:

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'm truly looking forward to reading your soon to be published article.

If my guess is right, there's plenty of good men and women here on HuntingBC with room under their wings for children with a yearning to learn all they can about our hunting heritage.

Who knows, maybe one day it will be the all genuinely caring people here on HuntingBC that blaze the trail for children wanting to get into the great sport of hunting here in British Columbia?

Bushman

elkster
01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I started out samll game hunting with my older brother and my dad. Mostly grouse, squirrels etc. When I left home and joined the navy, got married, raised some kids, coached sport for those same kids, I just didn't have time for, me only activities. When my two kids turned into working people and gave us some time (my Lady and I) I started back going out in the bush as the camp b#$ch, just to see if I had any interest. I'd go along with guys and see what was happening. It wasn't long before I had my PAL, and my core and licence. So my advice for new hunters starting out, IF, you don't have a family to go with, find a group of people you enjoy spending time with out in the bush, and go from there.

kishman
01-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Well it would seem my lack of experience finally found a way to come in handy around here....:lol: . I think alot of the guys on this site know I'm a rookie hunter, I started hunting last year at the tender age of 36. My folks didn't hunt, we camped and fished all the time, but hunting wasn't something the old man was into. I didn't get exposed to hunting untill I met my uncle Allan in Saskatchewan at the age of 9.
By that age I'd killed hundreds of fish, Salmon, Bullheads on the Fraser near my home, Bluegills at Christina lake...etc...etc. But watching my uncle shoot a Buck near his home in Quinton, and then eating some of the animal later that day (backstraps I'm guessing???) was something that stuck with me.
So, later in life when circumstances allowed I took the P.A.L / C.O.R.E.
intent on hunting of all things, wild Turkeys. And it was at this point in my hunting career that I realized I needed help. Read all you like, but untill you've done it, you haven't done it. Enter the internet:roll: , nobody I know hunts, so I began a general search of hunting sites, mesage boards, anything that related to Turkey hunting and eventually stumbled apon this very site.
It was through this site that I've met all my "mentors" and without them I can't imagine what trying to learn all that I've learned would've been like. I got a loooong way to go, but being out with folks who know what they're doing has made a big difference in how I approach the whole sport.

brotherjack
01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
What recommendations would you make for keeping the expense down for the new hunter?

Getting setup for the first hunting season need not be expensive. An inexpensive single-shot shotgun (NEF's were $129 new at SIR last I looked), or an old Lee Enfield in .303 British (commonly available under $200 for one in good working order) will more than suffiice for early hunting efforts. Camo, GPS, quad, etc, etc, etc - all can wait till later.

Mr. Dean
01-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Is it important for a person to hunt small game before "graduating" to deer?

IMO – YES!
I have typically found that the bigger the game, the more cost involved in the hunting for it. Also, starting out on pigeons and rabbits (read: easy kills) helps with dealing with the emotions of taking a life and understanding what it is meant when we say “having respect for the animals we seek,” as well as getting an understanding of dressing out the quarry. Just because the game is small, doesn’t mean that the aspects of hunting big game are missed.

Should a person try all kinds of hunting (deer, waterfowl, archery, squirrels, turkeys, etc.) to see what he likes?

Not necessarily.
For me, I knew what I wanted before I got into it.

What kind of "associates" should the new hunter pal around with?

As the old saying goes.
If tou want to be a millionaire, you should hang out w/ people that are...

This is a toughie.
I’d say start out w/ a DIY approach.
This way a new hunter could start forming his/her own ethics and modify them as they see fit as the unenviable knowledge is past on through associations they make as they pursue their newfound past-time.

The price of admission is what it is.
Start out with the minimum of what you need and take it from there.

It goes without saying that a GOOD mentor would be the secret to success! BUT they ARE hard to come by...

huntwriter
01-15-2007, 06:25 PM
The column is published and as promised I post the link here Thinking of taking up hunting? (http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/2007/01/thinking-of-taking-up-hunting.html)

Thanks again for your input on the subject. Also a big thank you to the members who keep posting on the subject. Hopefully we can keep this thread going with advice, tips and hints. I might serve novice hunters as a welcome information resource.

Elkhound
01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it Othmar

bsa30-06
01-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Enjoyed your story huntwriter, thanxs for posting.

huntwriter
01-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate all your comments, and thank you all, again for your input on the subject.