PDA

View Full Version : Stance

willyqbc
01-10-2007, 11:25 PM
OK, so we have quite a few folks on here that seem to be just starting out in the archery game so I thought I would start out the new section with some coaching. And where better to start than with the foundation of any good shot...your stance!

This is a quick and easy way to determine the best stance for you and your particular body.

1. Start by addressing a target with your feet shoulder width apart...much the same as you would address a golf ball when you tee off

2. without changing your stance turn your head away from the target and close your eyes

3. Draw your bow, and WITHOUT OPENING YOUR EYES, turn your head back and find your comfortable anchor position

4. Now open your eyes and look at your point of aim in relation to the target....if your looking right at the target GREAT! your set!

5. If you are not looking right at the target through your peep....maintain your upper body position keeping the hips and torso together, not moving your bow arm. Maintaining this position at full draw slide your front foot over until you are looking directly at your target through the peep and your pin.

This will be your most comfortable and strongest position of address, if you have to fight your bodies natural alignment it will cost you both accuracy and it will cause you to fatigue sooner than you should. For most people this address will result in a slightly "open" stance which is to have the front foot slightly back of the of the rear foot. This stance carries other benefits relating to shoulder and joint alignment but I will get into that in another thread.

Chris

Bow Walker
01-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Read the above post and follow very carefully. This is the first things that should be done prior to flinging sticks (or carbon) at a target. BUT.....NEVER, EVER DRAW BACK YOUR BOW UNLESS THERE IS AN ARROW LOADED. DRY-FIRE(s) WILL KILL YOU BOW QUICKER THAN ANYTHING.

Dan.

Onesock
01-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Maybe we should let everyone know that you are shooting a compound bow at this point as this is "supposed" to be for beginners. By the way, these posts are a great idea. Well done!

Bow Walker
01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
So, the basic fundamental principle for accuracy is to shoot the 20 yd shot, with the same exact form, exact same technique every time you step up to the line.

1) balanced weight distribution (even pressure on the left and right foot)

2) wear a shoe with a slight heel (cowboy boots, hiking boots, running shoes) this will help keep slightly more weight on the balls of your feet, and less weight on the heels of your feet.

3) Don't slouch front to back. Don't lean sideways left or right. Easier to consistently stand up straight. You can close your eyes and naturally stand up straight (adams apple on the neck lined up with the belly button) repeatedly, time and again.

4) Pull into the wall the with the same amount of pressure for each shot.
If you have dark color strings, have a friend mark your cables with a dab of white paint on both of your cables when the bow is at full draw. Adjust your release to fire, just a smidgen past this point (pulling into the wall).

5) Use a bow sling, and learn how to shoot with a completely relaxed bow hand. Think of the bow hand as a sofa cushion. When the bow fires, the bow should fall out of your hand. The sling prevents the bow from crashing into the floor. Consistency is the key here. You can consistently completely relax the bowhand. A completely relaxed bowhand will react against the bow grip the same way every time, just like the Spot Hogg Shooting machine grip holder.

6) Adjust the bow arm elbow bend, the bow AMO draw length setting, the length of the d-loop and the release neck length (stick to one release), such that the tip of the release elbow is directly behind the arrow, when you have a picture of yourself taken at full draw, where the camera person is taking an overhead looking down picture. See picture below.

7) Relax the release arm muscles. Learn how to get the release to fire using your larger back muscles.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/triangle1OverheadPictureofZoli_1_.jpg

willyqbc
01-11-2007, 09:36 AM
good point Onesock...my fault...making assumptions!! The info is definately aimed at the compound shooter although a LOT of it transfers nicely to classic olympic recurve style shoting. when you get into the "traditional" style recurves and stickbows.... all bets are off and you just go with what works for you. I have seen stickbow shooters bent over to an almost 90 degree angle and shooting very well!:lol:

Chris

willyqbc
01-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Just a few comments to add to Dans about the picture above

1. Notice how the back muscles are pulled together as if the archer could hold a grapefruit between them. This is what you want, the back muscles are much stronger and more stable than your arms...use them as much as you can!

2. You'll notice his stance is "square" which is to say that his feet line up with the path of the arrow. traditionally this was thought of as the best overall shooting position and is still probably the most commonly used stance. however, kinesiology(sp?) shows that if this archer were to move his front foot back a bit (towards the top of the pic) and readjusts his arm on to target without swiveling the torso, it allows for the shoulder joint to roll in and down more solidly in the socket. Basically the yellow line across his feet and the one running down his arm need to cross closer to his body when using this "open" stance method. this creates the most solid bone to bone to joint line up...creating a steadier hold. As always....just my opinion

Chris

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/overhead_form.JPG

Elkhound
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys. Good info. As a new shooter I appreciate the posts

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys. Good info. As a new shooter I appreciate the posts

X2!!

SSS

Bow Walker
01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Maybe we should let everyone know that you are shooting a compound bow at this point as this is "supposed" to be for beginners. By the way, these posts are a great idea. Well done!
This forum is not necessarily just for beginners. I think that journeyman archers can still learn a thing or two and they can definitely contribute some advice.:smile: