PDA

View Full Version : How many of us Steelhead fish

Inlet Hunter
01-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Fews pictures of today outing.

BlacktailStalker
01-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I steelhead fish frequently.
My buddy drifted the Stamp today and yesterday and hooked into 18, and 23 yesterday. Of course I was at work so he had to rub it in.
Definitely a fan of catch and release for steelhead though.

hunter1947
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I used to fish steelhead for years ,but give it up when all the different regs come in-a-fect years back. My biggest steely was 16 pounds and i caught it out of goldstream river. hunter 1947.

greybark
01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
:) I certainly do . The Vedder River is a short distance from my house . Have fished it since the early 60`s and now try to get out as part of an exercise regime , a hour in the morning and one at sunset .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your fingertab On --

YoungGun
01-10-2007, 09:52 PM
count me in! Love being out in the cold hunting for those steelies!

thebeav
01-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I fish as much as possible was out today and c&r a big summer run not bad consider the weather hopefully some chrome tomorrow

steel_ram
01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I kinda got spoiled in the 80's when fishing for wild steelhead was incredible. Now with family and commitments it's hard to get enthused to go out. Especially since the local rivers are so messed up, blown out most of the time and the more isolated secret creeks require a planned expedition.

Rivers like the Stamp are OK to get away from the Alberni in-laws when I'm there, but though the numbers are there, the quality isn't, plus the friggin jet boats kill the peace.

Chuck
01-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Had an opportunity to try it once back in the early 70's, but nobody tagged one that day. Never been anywhere near them since! It gets a lot of rave I know, but around se BC the rage was dollies (bull trout) because we had a lot of them before they dammed the rivers and they were sure good eating. Better than salmon I figure. I think they have steelhead in Scotland and they call them seatrout and I think anyone can fish for them just because they come up from salt water. They sure are a purty fish!

Tarp Man
01-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Well, I just started this winter. I am using the rod I got from Troutseeker. So far no action, just lots of casting practice. Hopefully this season I will hook my first.

mnicholls
01-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Nothing better on christmas eve! Nobody around and lots of fish.

steel_ram
01-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I think they have steelhead in Scotland and they call them seatrout and I think anyone can fish for them just because they come up from salt water. They sure are a purty fish!

"Sea trout" are more likely searun brown trout. The Cowichan River may have those. In the lower part of the Cowichan we occasionally catch what appears to be silver brown trout, different from the common fat bellied golden coloured browns that exist throughout the system. Pretty sure they're not Dollies. Steelhead are searun Rainbows.

Inlet Hunter
01-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Well it's another day in god's country. Have steelhead fish the North island since the late 60's.The peace and quite keep me coming back for more this is the reason why.:smile:

Gunner
01-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I started on the Vedder in the early 60's.Saw some great years there,on the Gold and the Thompson through the 70's and 80's.Up at Terrace and on the Charlotte's too!I still get out to the Thompson once a year,but it sure ain't like the old days!Most years I'd rather be huntin' than steelheading,but I've still got a few Super Silexes tucked away!8-)

LUCKY
01-12-2007, 02:52 PM
You bet. It's the closest fishery to hunting.
You have to hunt for steelhead. They don't come easy.

I'll be out there tomorrow!!

LUCKY

Deerwhacker
01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
was out today on teh vedder 46guys in the derby.....one fish

dirtyharry
01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
I am trying this year for the first time. I will be going on the cowichan so if all else fails I can try for some trout too!

Inlet Hunter
01-17-2007, 09:41 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/taylor.JPG

Frango
01-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm in the same boat as steel man spoiled from the old days.I have literally caught hundreds and proud to say I only killed one.I just gave it up.Too many people on the river,less fish ,blown out water and last but not least I felt I should leave them alone to do what they came up to do.Getting older makes you softer or is that wiser?

Inlet Hunter
01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
The picture of the boy and the steelhead, two posts up from this one is my son with his first fish at eleven years old. I too was about his age back in the early 60s with my fish here in the North Island. I also have seen the good times and the bad in the last forty years of fishing here. From keeping wilds to catch & release, wild fish vs. hatchery fish. I am still on as volunteer for catching broodstock for a few rivers. If you look closely at his right foot there is a black tube with blue mesh we use for transporting his fish back to the hatchery in hopes of keeping a fishery going here in the North Island for the furture:) .

craigchaplin
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Have tried a few years in a row now.........still waitin to catch one!!!!!!
They are definately a hard fish to catch...although it could very well be me?! But i'll keep trying.

Browningmirage
01-19-2007, 03:08 PM
what river you guys fish on the North Island, i enjoy it, but never keep any, there are too few left in the world, and every one i can put back means one more for the river, i dont need it anyway, when someone asks me why i do it...its pretty...its challenging...and you cant beat the fight.
That and the suffering to get one is nice too