PDA

View Full Version : Who knows chainsaws?

Spokerider
01-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a little husqvarna 34 saw that no-longer runs. No spark. Put in a brand new plug, no change. It ain't the run /stop switch, I took it out and tested it, works fine. Now what's next, the coil? How does one go about testing a saw coil?

Thanks.

johnes50
01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Check all wiring and switches for breaks and continuity. A lot of the time it is a broken wire or a bad connection. If all the wiring circuits pass then it's a good chance it's the coil. Vibration is tough on coils. John

tuchodi
01-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Does your Husky 34 have Points or is it Electronic ignition. Also check the wires going to the kill switch if it is grounding anyplace or bare and touching metal that is the same as having your kill switch in the off position.

dougan
01-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a little husqvarna 34 saw that no-longer runs. No spark. Put in a brand new plug, no change. It ain't the run /stop switch, I took it out and tested it, works fine. Now what's next, the coil? How does one go about testing a saw coil?

Thanks.get your buddy to pull the cord while you stick your tung on the plug wire!!!!!!!

Blacktail
01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
get your buddy to pull the cord while you stick your tung on the plug wire!!!!!!!

Pick me ......Pick me !!!!8):lol:

Bluetick
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Check for fuel 8-)

hunter1947
01-10-2007, 07:36 PM
No spark ,it probably is your coil ,id bet on it. hunter 1947.

Spokerider
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.....well, most of 'em!

I know it's not the switch. I removed it and tested it well, and it works.

Don't know if the saw is electronic ign. or points. It's a 1989 so?? Didn't take the flywheel off when I was troubleshooting the switch, so if it had points,I guess they would be under the flywheel?
The coil butts right tight up to the flywheel, and has a semi-circle shaped cupped surface that is very close to the flywheel. Looks as if the flywheel has magnets on it, and as is passes the coil when spinning, I can feel the pull of the magnets. Is this not a magneto? If so, what goes wrong with them? If it's NOT the coil that is. I'm hoping not to repair this aging saw by re and re piece by piece, till it's fixed routine.

How do I test a coil?

tuchodi
01-11-2007, 07:16 PM
You will need a coil tester to test the coil. I dont know anyother way. There is an airspace between the coil and the flywheel and it is very critical to have that space right. If you ever take the coil of find in the manual what the spacing is an use a feller guage to reset it. Being that old it may still have points and that is all you may have to change. Also take the sparkplug wire off the coil and test it I have knowen them to burn out.

Trapper
01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
pull the flywheel off and see if its got points,(If it does thats most likely your trouble) i don't think the air space between the flywheel and coil has changed unless you took it off.Was the saw running when it broke down or was it in storage and then brought back out to use and wouldn't start?
i have some knowledge on chainsaws i use to be a small engine mechanic

hunter1947
01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I just worked on a husky and when i took the plug lead of and held it 1/8 off an inch away from the spark plug ,no spark ,then i tool the spark plug out of the cylinder head ,put the plug lead onto the spark plug ,then lay ed it on top of the cylinder head and pulled the cord and then i had lots of spark between the spark plug gap. hunter 1947.